Kids and their cards

courtclay

I have a 9 and 11 year old. We are sailing on the Fascination this weekend. They are in CC where they can check themselves in and out so they'll need to have their s-n-s cards with them. What's the best way for them to keep up with them? Lanyards?

lanyard... you can get them at sporting goods stores, i got my 8 year old onboard when i forgot the one that i had purchased.

• 2 weeks later...
I didnt know the kids need their card to sign in and out.

We only used the camp once-- dropped off grand daughter and was never asked for her card. We were asked for our card when we picked her up.

Never went back after that so had no idea

Ages 9 - 11 will need their cards to sign themselves in and out. Younger will not. DD kept hers with her. If she was in camp and needed to leave for bathroom, they would have her sign herself out and then she would return using her card/key. They do not have to her the luxury of signing themselves in and out. Parents can opt to say NO. And parents will do all the signing in and out. This is freedom is optional, I guess becuase the age is so "iffy" with responsibilty.

All have answered your initial question but I am going to add a bit. Once they are 10 years old let them load their own card with their own money and when it is spent it is spent. Too many parents put them on their cards and the kids learn no responsibility and will just spend until they have nothing more to spend on. Plus they can enter the cabin etc - by this age they learn a lot more than we give them credit for.

That depends on the kids. Some parents have kids who have learned to be responsible before cruising and have no issues putting them on their account. We have done so for every one of our cruises and told the kids they could make purchases without us....guess what, the only purchases they ever made were when they were with us and then they still asked us first. We started doing this when they were 4 and 7....on our last cruise they were 14 and 17, we never had any spending issues.

Back to OP's question DD always made her own lanyard with beads to coordinate with her clothes and DS always used lanyards from his favorite sport teams. I would punch a hole in their cards as we waited to board and they were all set.

We have some that my older kids bought at their high school store. It has been a great conversation starter. They have met kids that live in the next town over. DH has one from his favorite sports team. I have Vera Bradly for myself. I like to get them ahead of time. If you get one onboard, everyone has the same thing. If I put it down on a chair while swimming I know no one will pick it up by mistake.

Archived