Galaxy - Tell Me Everything

zahr03

We are thinking about taking the Galaxy on their Panamal Canal run next year (out of Galveston). Would love to hear others' opinin of the ship: good, bad, great, do this, don't do that, great restaurants, things to know, best cabins, descriptions of the cabins (from cruisers not marketers), picture links for the cabins, etc. - I want it all!

icon_biggrin.gif

6/6/2004 NCL Star to Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;06;06;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We did a cruise on the Galaxy a few weeks ago and we had a very nice time. The food and the service were very good and we really have no complaints at all. My only issue would be that the gym is not that big and somewhat lacking in equipment as people were frequently standing and waiting to use a treadmill and there was not enough weight training equipment. I prefer a ship with a really nice gym as I love to workout and it really helps me avoid gaining weight on a cruise. Other than that, we had a wonderful time. I've found the entertainment to be lacking on most ships lately and I have to say that the shows on the Galaxy were surprisingly good. If you like sushi, they have a great sushi bar. I would not hesitate to go on the Galaxy again.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Zahr03,

The first two Galaxy Panama Canal cruises out of Galveston (11/01, 11/13) were sold out the last time I checked. Hopefully, you will be wanting some of the other dates still available. I am still looking for information (Galaxy) as to condition of RS's -- some posters have commented that these suites were "looking a little worn" (apparently not refurbished at last drydock).

Bookit

Carnival Celebration - 09/01

Rhapsody of the Seas - 11/01

Royal Olympia Voyager - 05/02

Rhapsody of the Seas - 09/02

Splendour of the Seas - 04/03

Rhapsody of the Seas - 09/03

(CC Reunion Cruise)

Splendour of the Seas - 04/04

Celebrity Galaxy - 11/04

Jewel of the Seas - 04/05

I wrote a very long review after a recent cruise aboard Galaxy on 3/19/04 which might still be on these boards.

Here are some recent photos I took inside the ship as well. She is in pretty good condition: http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2192

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

HAL Zuiderdam 12/04

Here's a picture of her that was posted on our board for our September transatlantic. It was taken this morning of her leaving Baltimore on her way across the Atlantic. She's a beautiful ship.

http://www.davehau.com/daypic/galaxy040507.jpg

Garry

Century Western Caribbean - 6/5/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;5;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Galaxy Transatlantic - 9/3/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

click <a href="mailto:gkm278@comcast.net">here</a href> to send me an email

I cruised on Galaxy in Oct 03 and Apr 04. I think it is a wonderful ship... beautiful, elegant, great food.

I disagree with the post that says the fitness center is inadequate/too crowded. There may be times when it is crowded, but I never had a problem.

Hi-We sailed on the Galaxy last month and had a wonderful time.She is a beauty and is our favorite of nine cruise ships.We had a cat 2 veranda stateroom.Although the balcony was small,there was enough room for the two of us to sit comfortably.The cabin was roomy and had a good amount of storage space.There are robes provided in every cabin as well as hair dryers.Each cabin also has a mini-bar/fridge which can be emptied out by your cabin steward for your personal use.The food and service were very good in both the Orion restaurant and buffet.We enjoyed the buffet over the Orion for lunch because there were more choices and you could get fresh salads, pasta,sandwiches,burgers,etc.We enjoyed the thalassotherapy pool every day,and treated ourselves to a wonderful massage one day.We did get to see some of the other cabins.The royal and penthouse suites are very nice and we could have upgraded at the pier to a cat 1 suite but the only difference we could see was the bigger balcony and ,of course,the butler.We were very happy with the cabin we had.We also had friends in the family cabin which was roomy with a partition separating the sleeping area.You will love the Galaxy.

zahr03

You will, I'm sure, love Galaxy. She is a lovely ship and we can't wait to visit her again in November (and see Galveston and some new ports too).

garykool81's photos are some of the nicest public area shots I have seen and do the ship justice. Plenty of quiet areas to hang out. The T-pool is great as is the open cafe area at the rear of the ship. Sipping, watching the wake is bliss.

The dining room (as with Mercury too) is a really nice place to be. A huge room with a staircase, harking back to what I view as a real traditional experience.

The art work is quite different and sure to be a conversation piece, but it all goes together with the rest of the decor to create a really great ambience.

Have we sold you on this ship, or what? icon_biggrin.gif

Whatever you book, have a great cruise.

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600<BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Hi we are getting ready to sail the Galaxy for the 4th time. I love the Cat2 verandah rooms. We are trying the Concierge Class this time with same room. We agree that the back eating deck is great. We love having breakfast out there as we are ready to get out and don't spend much time in the room.Too much excitement!

There are many quiet spots or busy if you like to watch people(fun sport). We also enjoy having a martini at the Tastings Bar.Fun ship! Peg

To The Med. on Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;21;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Hey excitedofharpenden - hope you enjoy cruising on my birthday! Take lots of pictures and keep lots of notes - above all - post information on these boards!!!

Judy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;06;06;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We were on the Galaxy in March and will be on her again May 21 in Rome. Then we will have a Sky Suite with the huge balcony, but in March we had a Cat. 1 suite which was wonderful. I did notice one stain on the carpet in our room, but it wasn't anything that ruined the cruise for me. I guess I just am so busy relaxing and having fun I don't notice the condition of the carpet/furniture in the public areas unless they are really bad. Since I didn't notice anything I'm assuming they were in adequate condition!

I loved the pool at the back of the ship. It has a retractable roof and the food bar there was fantastic. Lots of salads and sandwiches. A lighter lunch choice. Also, the deck behind the pool area had a fantastic guitarist that played in the early evenings. The band, Phase 5, was the best I have ever heard. Unfortunately they will not be on board in Europe. I was very disappointed. I think you will really enjoy this ship.

Becky

Judy

I will make a point of doing a review this year and will have a drink on board for your birthday icon_biggrin.gif

Phil

Mercury Western Caribbean November 2002

Galaxy Eastern Caribbean November 2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600<BR

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Out Of Galveston

13th November 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

icon_razz.gif

Thanks! (I think.)

Well - everyone convinced us. We made our reservations for the April 14 sailing. I expect lots of posts from the prior cruisers and if anyone happens to have pictures of 1237 - that would be great, too!!!!!

Judy

Thanks guys the ship looks and sounds great. My wife and I are going on the Galaxy Med cruise in August and can't wait. We traveled on the Meridian a couple of times when are kids were small and had a great time.

I am just an old salt

we are goiung on the galaxy (first time) august 13th out of rome.

BeckyR,

i will look forward to your comments after you go on this cruise.

we have only gone on one cruise before. last summer, Horizon which we loved. we are a family of four two boys ages 12 and 14.

Galaxy From Rome

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;8;13;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

zahr03,

We have a website on the Galaxy (our cruise was in 2003), which has many photos of ours, and many links to photo albums (1000's of Galaxy photos & we continue to add new ones), many links to review posts, menus, wine lists & lots more:

http://cruiseclues.com/galaxy

icon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

Happy Cruising, Buil, http://cruiseclues.com

Sitmar, RCCL, Costa, HAL, Princess, Royal Cruise Line, Celebrity, Renaissance, Disney, MSC Lirica

"We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails"

My husband and I are going on the June 21st sailing on the Galaxy out of Rome. I booked it recently and was told no more oceanview rooms were available, so we have a catagory 9 inside cabin. I'm arranging my own airfare, and hotel, anyone have any recommendations for great hotels to stay in Rome and transportation to/from the pier? We are going to try to arrive in Rome Saturday or Sunday morning prior to departure, and do some sight-seeing.

Magillicutti, we are doing the same cruise but in July. We are also making our own travel plans. We are going a few days early to tour Rome. I did some research and found that we can get to the pier from Rome by train. It runs quite often. If you aren't staying near the termini then you just take a quick cab ride to the station and get the train. It will be $50pp round trip. $38pp if you go second class. We have used European trains before and second class is fine. It's about 1 1/2 hours train ride. We are coing to stay at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza. It is about 15 miles from the airport and has complimentary shuttle service to and from the airport. We are also going to stay an extra night on the way home due to flight schedules. We are going on frequent flyers awards so for free tickets we had to be a little bit flexible.

Archived