Why are Vision class ships called the Vision class?

Another way to ask the question - why was this class named after the Vision of the Seas which I understand to be the last ship of the class?

In contrast, the Radiance of the Seas was the first ship of the Radiance class.

The Voyager of the Seas was the first ship of the Voyager class.

The Freedom of the Seas was the first ship of the Freedom class.

The Oasis of the Seas was the first ship of the Oasis class.

Maybe it is just RCI's way of celebrating a class of ships that eally are three different sets of sisters. The Splendor and the Legend are sisters while the Rhapsody and Vision are sisters , and the Grandeur and Enchantment (originally but has been lengthened) are the remaining sisters. The Splendor and the Legend are the most different being shorter and the stack built in to the Viking Crown Lounge. Anyway... just a guess.

The Vision class ships were the result of "Project Vision". The goal was to create ships that had more glass and thus greater views of the oceans from the interior spaces.

This class of ships is unique in more than just the fact that the last ship is the class namesake. There are three sets of ship pairs in this class that have some commonality between the pairs but also many differences. So they are not really a true class of ships (such as Radiance class or Voyager class, etc).

The sisters are: Splendour and Legend (Chantiers Atlantique); Grandeur and Enchantment (Kvaerner Masa); and Rhapsody and Vision (Chantiers Atlantique).

These ships were the first Royal Caribbean ships to feature diesel electric propulsion systems and also the placement of the Viking Crown lounge above the Centrum. With the decoupling of the engines from the propellers they were able to place the engines closer to midship allowing for better ship weight balance. The side effect was that the stacks had to move forward as well which put the Viking Crown lounge where it is on the Vision class.

Personally I think it's much more aesthetically pleasing that way. :)

So, in my opinion the Vision class have a very important place in the evolution of the beautiful ships that Royal has produced and will continue to produce. :)

These ships were the first Royal Caribbean ships to feature diesel electric propulsion systems and also the placement of the Viking Crown lounge above the Centrum. With the decoupling of the engines from the propellers they were able to place the engines closer to midship allowing for better ship weight balance. The side effect was that the stacks had to move forward as well which put the Viking Crown lounge where it is on the Vision class.

Major head scratching on that Tahqa.. :confused: The Vision class stacks are the furthest AFT of any class in the fleet. The VCL is centered, but not on the stacks at all. Just look at your Enchantment countdown (or my Vision one) and you can see it.

Seems like I've been watching tug assistance with Vision's departures from Port Everglades of late as well. Which would indicate no azipods, but I could be wrong on that too.

Not razzing you BTW, just wanting to be sure everybody has the details right.

Major head scratching on that Tahqa.. :confused: The Vision class stacks are the furthest AFT of any class in the fleet. The VCL is centered, but not on the stacks at all. Just look at your Enchantment countdown (or my Vision one) and you can see it.

Seems like I've been watching tug assistance with Vision's departures from Port Everglades of late as well. Which would indicate no azipods, but I could be wrong on that too.

Not razzing you BTW, just wanting to be sure everybody has the details right.

You are correct. It's Splendour and Legend that have the engines almost center of the ship. When they went diesel-electric they moved the engines forward to balance the ship and allow for more fuel capacity. These two ships also have a higher maximum speed of 24 knots, and greater range, than the other four ships.

When they were working on the designs for the subsequent Vision ships it was decided to change the placement of the engines relative to the generators and propeller motors and therefore a dedicated stack was incorporated at the aft end of the ship. However, aesthetically, it was decided to keep the Viking Crown where it was since it balanced the ship design and allowed for the full height glass elevators in the Centrum. The end result was that, for the first time, the Viking Crown lounge was completely separated from the engine exhausts.

The propeller motors are not azipods, there is still a traditional rudder.

So, as I mentioned earlier, these ships were key in the evolution of the 'modern' Royal Caribbean ships. :)

See http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Royal_Caribbean_-_Part_2 for more details.

You are correct. It's Splendour and Legend that have the engines almost center of the ship. When they went diesel-electric they moved the engines forward to balance the ship and allow for more fuel capacity. These two ships also have a higher maximum speed of 24 knots, and greater range, than the other four ships.

When they were working on the designs for the subsequent Vision ships it was decided to change the placement of the engines relative to the generators and propeller motors and therefore a dedicated stack was incorporated at the aft end of the ship. However, aesthetically, it was decided to keep the Viking Crown where it was since it balanced the ship design and allowed for the full height glass elevators in the Centrum. The end result was that, for the first time, the Viking Crown lounge was completely separated from the engine exhausts.

The propeller motors are not azipods, there is still a traditional rudder.

So, as I mentioned earlier, these ships were key in the evolution of the 'modern' Royal Caribbean ships. :)

See http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Royal_Caribbean_-_Part_2 for more details.

Clarification and link much appreciated there Tahqa! :)

Clarification and link much appreciated there Tahqa! :)

My pleasure! :)

You know, in further reflection it could be considered that "Project Vision" was named not only because of the greater incorporation of glass but also because these ships were a vision of the future for Royal Caribbean ship design. :)

Thanks for the information. Legend was the first ship on which we sailed so we have a soft place in our heart for her. We'll be back on her again in Nov. It will be nice to be on a smaller ship again. Tahqa, thanks for the RCCL link - Part 2. It was very interesting to read. I tried to find Part 1 but couldn't. Could you post it?

Thanks for the information. Legend was the first ship on which we sailed so we have a soft place in our heart for her. We'll be back on her again in Nov. It will be nice to be on a smaller ship again. Tahqa, thanks for the RCCL link - Part 2. It was very interesting to read. I tried to find Part 1 but couldn't. Could you post it?

Here ya go! :)

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Royal_Caribbean_-_Part_1

Archived