help - need clothing advice for Rome/Vatican

We will be doing a 3 day pre-cruise stay in Rome prior to our cruise and we have a tour to the Vatican booked. I know shorts and tube tops/tank tops are an absolute no-no for visiting the Vatican but, am I allowed to wear capris that are below the knee or is a skirt or dress a must? Thanks in advance for the advice, it is appreciated!

Dear San Fran,

Capri's are acceptable attire for visiting the Vatican. A good rule of thumb to follow when visiting churches in Europe is to cover knees, shoulders, and midriffs. That goes for men and women. If the weather is warm and you plan on wearing sleeveless tops, bring a cardigan or a large scarf to cover your shoulders. Have a great time in Europe, and especially Rome.

When we were at the vatican two years ago, they had scarves available for people to borrow if they needed it. Quite convenient! That way, you don't have to haul along a sweater of your own if you don't want to.

You will be fine with capri's. Just be sure no tops that show your midriff. If you wear what you would to church, you should be ok.------the exception to that rule is what people in Florida who are tourists wear.

Katie

bring an extra suitcase and shop there. I was there a few years ago and wanted to buy so much but took too much w/us so there wasn't much space to take things back. Great buys on via national, silk ties for $5, scarfs-$5, shoes, trousers, jackets, leather goods, ladies clothing ,etc. at terrific prices. Just stay away from major designer shops. There are outlets for some of the designers around that area.

bring an extra suitcase and shop there. I was there a few years ago and wanted to buy so much but took too much w/us so there wasn't much space to take things back. Great buys on via national, silk ties for $5, scarfs-$5, shoes, trousers, jackets, leather goods, ladies clothing ,etc. at terrific prices. Just stay away from major designer shops. There are outlets for some of the designers around that area.

The outlets are called stock shops and they are on the street that is parellel to the spanish steps. We found them on the last day in Rome and I never bought a suit so fast in my life. That said and done, My nieghbors just came back from 5 weeks over there and they stated that it was VERY expensive now. With the declining dollar and the Euro in bads shape I was not at all surprised. So take more money with you.

Also remember that in Italy, the Italians dress more formally than we do here in the US. It really is nice to see for a change. People are NOT running around in sneakers and jeans all the time. People are more fashion conscious.

Archived