Matanuska vs Exit Glaciers

emeltee

I’ve not been on Exit Glacier just around and above it so can’t compare the experience of being on both. One consideration is that Matanuska is much easier to access as it’s only a 15 minute walk from the parking lot. Exit Glacier requires a hike of close to an hour from the parking lot just to reach the access point. There is some good info on both glaciers on TripAdvisor.

I’ve not been on Exit Glacier just around and above it so can’t compare the experience of being on both. One consideration is that Matanuska is much easier to access as it’s only a 15 minute walk from the parking lot. Exit Glacier requires a hike of close to an hour from the parking lot just to reach the access point. There is some good info on both glaciers on TripAdvisor.

That's a good point about the easier access.

I've done a bit of reading on TA regarding Matanuska. It seems like both companies are good. Just have to pick one.

The 2 glaciers are in different areas of Alaska. Where will you be traveling?

I really enjoy Exit Glacier but it is familiar to us.

My parents, my 2 kids, DH and I will be staying in Anchorage for two nights before moving to Girdwood the third night (the night before our cruise.)

My brother is trying to decide whether to do his own thing on the Kenai or stick with us in Anchorage. If he does the Exit Glacier hike, he may want to try some fishing as well. He will be cruising with us.

DH, DD1 & I will probably do a Matanuska hike one day, then spend the second day driving southward and exploring the Seward highway with the rest of the party before checking into a hotel in Girdwood.

If your brother is an adult, send him out on his own. You will be very well located to keep him busy and happy.

Either glacier will do fine for him.

One of my favorite places in the world to walk is along Turnagain Arm on the Bird to Gird trail which is an easy go with supurb scenery. You can do a GOOGLE or BING search on that. Also no charge! You can see the whole trail on GOOGLE SteetView. Not kidding!

I've spent decades walking and doing photography in the areas you will be visiting. You've made good choices.

Have a wonderful time in Alaska.

Archived