Disney Magic out of Galveston --- HELP!!!

Funseekers

Im just booked my SIL and myself on the Magic 6nt sailing in Jan '13 and we are flying into Hobby on Southwest the day before. I am really needing some suggestions on whether we should either staying at an airport hotel and then using the Disney transfers or.... ???? any other options. My main issue is that we had to book a 6pm flight returning home and I REALLY dont want to go back and sit at the airport ALL day!

Anyone have ANY suggestions on what to do? :confused:

Thanks!!!

:o

We sailed on the magic out of Galveston a few weeks ago. We rented a car from enterprise at the airport and returned it to the Galveston location. Even with the taxi to the pier it was cheaper than paying for the transfers and we were able to stop at the liquor store on the way. We did the reverse on the way home and stopped for lunch on the way back to the airport to waste some time.

Price wise it will probably depend on how many people you have as to how cost effective it will be.

Hope this helps.

Galveston is such a nice place to spend a day or two.The Treemont is only about a block from the Pier,and there are so many places to shop,and eat on the Strand,just one block over.

If you are traveling with kids,a must see is the King candy shop. It's an old timey candy store,with a soda fountain,wooden floors,and they are making salt water taffy.Sure beats wasting a night at the airport. :)

Have a great cruise,we leave on the 8 day January the 18th.

Thanks for all the GREAT information.. Im thinking renting a car might be the best way to go. Im hoping the traffic wont be bad on the return.. The way there shouldnt be as we get into Houston at 8:00pm but getting back to the airport for a 6pm flight on a Friday might be kind of crazy with rush hour! :confused: We'll just have to try and leave to head back to Houston at a decent time.

Thanks again!!!

Im just booked my SIL and myself on the Magic 6nt sailing in Jan '13 and we are flying into Hobby on Southwest the day before. I am really needing some suggestions on whether we should either staying at an airport hotel and then using the Disney transfers or.... ???? any other options. My main issue is that we had to book a 6pm flight returning home and I REALLY dont want to go back and sit at the airport ALL day!

Anyone have ANY suggestions on what to do? :confused:

Thanks!!!

:o

There is TONS of shopping between the port and the airport!

Traffic wasn't bad for us, it was the crazy toll rolls that had us confused!!

Are you flying into George Bush IAH? Be sure and take Beltway 8,it's a pretty much straight shot to this airport,there is a toll,but you can stay on the feeder road,and miss a lot of the traffic.

Since you are getting in so late,you won't be able to do anything that night,but get up early,have breakfast,and look around the Strand,it really doesn't take that long.

Don't worry. There are no toll roads b/t Hobby Airport & Galveston. In fact, Hobby is south of Houston so you won't even see the city & it's really bad traffic. Fortunately you will be headed north toward Houston on your return & most of the traffic will be headed south so even at rush hour it won't be too crazy. I live just north of Houston, so I know what it is like.

I would also recommend hanging out in Galveston as the Strand is a fun area. There is also a free ferry (Boliver Ferry) not far that you can drive onto, but we prefer to park at the entrance & walk on. That way we just ride it over to the mainland & back. In January we always see dolphins & usually jellyfish. The seagulls follow the crossing too & if you have bread/crackers it is fun to feed them off the back of the ferry. You ca n also walk or ride rented bikes along the sea wall in Galveston. Long sandy beach with cool shops (especially Merdocks). Fun island souveniers for cheap.

January can be hit or miss for weather. My Bday is the 11th & we usually go there for the day. Most years it is nice, but sometimes it is very windy & chilly. Check weather forecast before you leave & bring at least a windbreaker just in case.

Hope you enjoy Galveston & your cruise. We are trying the Magic in Feb & are very excited.

Thanks for all the GREAT information.. Im thinking renting a car might be the best way to go. Im hoping the traffic wont be bad on the return.. The way there shouldnt be as we get into Houston at 8:00pm but getting back to the airport for a 6pm flight on a Friday might be kind of crazy with rush hour! :confused: We'll just have to try and leave to head back to Houston at a decent time.

Thanks again!!!

Hi, We cruised out of Galveston in April 2012. We arrived by train, used Dwayne Johnson's transport company - http://texasairportcar.com/index.html - recommended by a frequent cruiser/Cruise Critic member. Since we arrived in Galveston (truly the armpit of Texas -- but we didn't know it at the time) a couple of days early we rented a car and returned it to Enterprise on Sunday/cruise day. FYI: Enterprise is (was at the time) the only car rental agency on the island so they know they have you over a barrel). They were rude and pretty expensive and since they are closed on Sunday they charged us an extra day because they didn't get into the office until Monday. :mad: On a positive note: Dewayne's car service was excellent! We used them coming and going to/from Galveston. Upon arrival (at o'dark thirty), we were met at the Amtrak station by a lovely young man, early 20s, driving a mini-van, who took his job very seriously. We were his only passengers (we planned it that way) so he was willing to make a couple of stops along the way for food/supplies. He narrated the entire drive down to Galveston, gave us a local map and tourist tips and was generally a very friendly and bright guy. On our return trip we had Dewayne himself who was just as wonderful. :D Have lovely trip. (p.s. we cruised RCL's Mariner of the Seas to the western Caribbean: Roatan Honduras, Cozumel Mexico and Belize City Belize)

Since we arrived in Galveston (truly the armpit of Texas -- but we didn't know it at the time)

Wow... :eek: Even being a 3rd-generation Texan, I didn't realize there was more than one Galveston... because I KNOW you must be talking about some other Galveston -- not the vibrant, architecturally gorgeous, fascinating island city full of more history than most entire states... Or maybe this is like when people have nothing good to say about a port stop, then we come to find out they never left the dock area?

Wow... :eek: Even being a 3rd-generation Texan, I didn't realize there was more than one Galveston... because I KNOW you must be talking about some other Galveston -- not the vibrant, architecturally gorgeous, fascinating island city full of more history than most entire states... Or maybe this is like when people have nothing good to say about a port stop, then we come to find out they never left the dock area?

I am NOT a Texan, but shipped out of Galveston many many times on Tankers and found that Galveston to be alot like the your Galveston. We loved getting ashore and having a great dinner, looking around the shops, etc.:D

I have to wonder just where that other (the armpit)

Galveston is??......maybe its in California?????:rolleyes:

AKK

All I can say is wow! We do live close to Galveston,but I don't consider myself bias.We cruise out of Galveston at least twice a year,and usually go down a day early,and get a room.Galveston is a nice getaway from the city the strand area is nice,not to mention spending a night at The San Luis.If you choose to stay at a beach front hotel,you have the Rainforest Cafe,Landry's,or the new Pleasure Pier. There are plenty of nice things to do in Galveston.There are some people that you can never please,I've read enough cruise reviews to figure that out.

ANY CRUISE IS A GREAT CRUISE,UNLESS YOUR ON THE TITANIC OF COURSE.:)

Hi, We cruised out of Galveston in April 2012. We arrived by train, used Dwayne Johnson's transport company - http://texasairportcar.com/index.html - recommended by a frequent cruiser/Cruise Critic member. Since we arrived in Galveston (truly the armpit of Texas -- but we didn't know it at the time) a couple of days early we rented a car and returned it to Enterprise on Sunday/cruise day. FYI: Enterprise is (was at the time) the only car rental agency on the island so they know they have you over a barrel). They were rude and pretty expensive and since they are closed on Sunday they charged us an extra day because they didn't get into the office until Monday. :mad: On a positive note: Dewayne's car service was excellent! We used them coming and going to/from Galveston. Upon arrival (at o'dark thirty), we were met at the Amtrak station by a lovely young man, early 20s, driving a mini-van, who took his job very seriously. We were his only passengers (we planned it that way) so he was willing to make a couple of stops along the way for food/supplies. He narrated the entire drive down to Galveston, gave us a local map and tourist tips and was generally a very friendly and bright guy. On our return trip we had Dewayne himself who was just as wonderful. :D Have lovely trip. (p.s. we cruised RCL's Mariner of the Seas to the western Caribbean: Roatan Honduras, Cozumel Mexico and Belize City Belize)

Thank you so much for that information on the transport company! Im going to try and give them a call and see if they can help us out. :D

(ps. I have done the Roatan, Belize and Cozumel itinerary a few times and LOVE IT! MY DH and I actually renewed our vows in Roatan a couple of years ago, while we were in port, and it was WONDERFUL!!!)

I have also cruise out of Galveston and always thought it was a beautiful.. hmmmm?

Archived