MTD with a large group

So there are a group of 15 friends and family sailing the Independence in March. When we booked the cruise all traditional dining seatings were booked and we were all forced to take my time dining.

We all would like to eat together nightly, I know we cannot all fit at one table, but even if we had two tables near one another that would be completely fine. I have called the TA and asked what we should do (we all booked seperately but used the same TA.)They said to link all of our reservations and that should give them a heads up in the MDR that we are all together and would likely want to dine together. They said that it shouldn't be a problem to figure out once we get onboard. I am not so sure that I buy this and hope that maybe someone that has experienced MTD with a group could help.

I am thinking that if we just show up at the MDR looking to sit together we will have to wait an hour to be acommodated with such a large group. I expressed this concern to the TA and they suggested that maybe get everyone in the group to log on and make reservations for the same time each night and since we are linked, they will get the picture that we want to sit together. I am not so sure that I am comfortable relying on this either.

I feel like this is going to be a complicated mess no matter how we look at it. What would be ideal is if we could keep the MTD so we could change the time we dine each evening and just be able to show up and sit together. But, I feel like this is an unrealistic expectation. Of course this is exactly what the TA said to do.

Does anyone have experience with MTD and a group larger than 1 table can accommodate? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we do? I have kind of been elected group leader since my wife and I have cruised a lot more than everyone else. I just don't want to be blamed when the dining situation goes horribly! ;)

I feel like traditional dining would work so much better, but they are still claiming it's full. Plus, everyone in the group seems to like the idea that we are not tied down to a specific time for dinner.

Have I done all I can do? Is there a better option I am overlooking? Anyone that can offer some experienced advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

We did MTD with 23 people on the Rhapsody last year. We linked all our reservations together and contacted the Dining Room Coordinator (rcldining@rccl.com) 10 people was the max table size in MTD on that ship, so we did two eights and a four all next to each other.

We ended up with two different waiters but it didn't matter since you are prepaid gratuities. We told the group not to sit next to the same person just to keep things interesting. The waiters had no trouble with us moving around each night. Many in the group handed extra tips to both waiters and assistant waiters .

With a large group in MTD, it's really best to make nightly reservations....as you know, larger groups are harder to seat, so a reservation gives the dining room a "heads up" as to when to expect your group.

You don't need to sit in the same place nightly. With MTD, your tips are pre-paid, so ANYONE who serves you gets their due.

The only problem I see with MTD is getting everyone to agree to the same time....but if you had traditional, they would all show up together....so you could make a standing reservation for the same time nightly, to avoid confusion with everyone.

thank you for the suggestions. I will email the dining dept. and see what help that is. I am thinking the same reservation each night will make it easier on everyone.

Yes, that's a good idea. We did MTD once and prebooked the same time for every night. They reserved our table with the same wait staff for the whole cruise. Saw a table of eight, six and four had the same set up. You'll be fine.

I second the recommendation to email the dining staff. They did a wonderful job for our family of 9. Of course we were able to be accommodated at one table, but they still did all the work for us.

I imagine for MTD times, they can link the reservations and assign a table # for a specific time each night. Then if you decide to eat at a different time once onboard, you can call in the morning and work with the dining staff to make changes. Many will likely eat at other venues throughout the week so you may not need the full 15 seats. Maybe try to get one large table and then a smaller one nearby. Or reserve the time and tables for the formal nights only ahead of time and then onboard in the morning you can call to reserve for a lesser amount of people for that day.

I forgot to add--being the one in charge of some of these logistics is a definite pain in the rear. I did it on my last cruise with my family and I found myself not enjoying as much as normal because I was always worried about everyone else having a good time.

There is nothing wrong with getting it set up ahead of time and then once onboard just letting things happen as they do...you don't need to step in and try to make it all right at that point. A lot of different people with different behaviors and expectations.

I generally prefer MTD, but for a group I have to admit that Traditional Dining is MUCH easier. You reserve the table and seating and then everyone knows where and what time. They choose to show up or not. If the time doesn't work with them for that day, they simply eat somewhere else. That was the "easiest" thing for us onboard and it worked out well. You may ask the dining people through email if you can get MTD changed to traditional. I know many like the flexibility but it really is difficult with a large group unless one person (you) is having to deal with it all each day onboard.

We did MTD with 23 people on the Rhapsody last year. We linked all our reservations together and contacted the Dining Room Coordinator (rcldining@rccl.com) 10 people was the max table size in MTD on that ship, so we did two eights and a four all next to each other.

We ended up with two different waiters but it didn't matter since you are prepaid gratuities. We told the group not to sit next to the same person just to keep things interesting. The waiters had no trouble with us moving around each night. Many in the group handed extra tips to both waiters and assistant waiters .

I hope you are still watching this thread... How long did it take you to hear back from the dining coordinator? I emailed them about a week ago and still no response.

Everyone has pretty much decided they are fine with setting a standing reservation time each night around 7. I was going to just set it up online through MTD reservations, but it specifically says you can make arrangements for up to 10. We have 15... I called the TA and they called RCI. They told me that if I make reservations for my wife and I for a set time for the week that will work because we linked reservations already.

Does anyone know if this works? When I go to make reservations online, it looks like to me I have to add anyone we want to eat with. I even have to check off the name of my wife who is obviously linked with me in our reservation.

Should I try and email the coordinator again? Or will just making reservations for my wife and I do the trick since our reservations are linked together? Anyone that has an answer would be greatly appreciated.

Should I try and email the coordinator again? Or will just making reservations for my wife and I do the trick since our reservations are linked together? Anyone that has an answer would be greatly appreciated.

I do not think you should have a problem.

When you get on the ship, go to the MDR and seek out the Maitre'D / Head Waiter.

Introduce yourself, explain your concerns, request two 8 tops next to each other for 7:00 every night together, and hand him a $20.

I think we were on the Independence a few years ago and there were 8 of us. The first night at MTD they sat us at a long table and sat 6 college age men at the other end of our table and we had 2 empty seats between us. We found from talking to them that they were a group of 16 and had to be split up which made no sense since we were at a table for 16. We spoke to the maitre de and they set it up for the group to have the large table from then on.

To make less work for yourself - make the reservation for the same time each night and it will be more like traditional dining so everyone will know what time dinner is and you won't have to be spending all of your precious vacation time trying to make reservations each day. ENJOY!!

Archived