Princess vs HAL

generichandle

Of my cruises, 4 have been on Princess, two on HAL.

I just returned from a Panama Canal cruise on the Amsterdam. I had quite a few problems. I am not a complainer, and I know that no cruise will go off perfectly. But my problems on the Amsterdam semed indemnic.

Someone asked earlier about a refridge. Well we did not have one, and I hope that NEVER happens again. It was also difficult, because of the noro, to get the roomies to bring ice. I do NOT blame them because they were working insanely hard to help contain the virus. But it still was very inconvenient, especially when we were confined.

No open front view? Who EVER heard of that. How to take reasonable pix like that?

The food was bland! I have heard others claim HAL's food is better than Princess, but on the Amsterdam it was definitely not! The beef and the piork ribs were cooked too fast and very tough. I had to resort to eating jalapenos to get some spice into my mouth. Does HAL know about onions, peppers, or garlic? And my mother would have slapped whomever made that awful glop they called bread pudding [a great love of mine and a specialty of hers].

Did HAL get a special deal on those teeny, tiny glasses that they put my ice tea in? They were 5-6 oz, I think. Had to go back to the buffet over and over, and with no fridge, it was trying. They should surely break them all!

On the other hand, the effort made to try to contain the norovirus was almost supernatural. I give them much extra credit for that.

And I love the smaller, less crowded atmosphere.

The itenerary was absolutely fantastic, and the tours sponsored by HAL that I did were great.

They had the best 'trivia' I have seen, all fun new questions I think.

I would still go on HAL if they had an itenerary I could not get, or at a much better price than Princess.

Overall, though, Princess by a lot.

Doug

PS: Also posted on HAL board. Posted here to be fair.

Sorry you had a bad experience on the Amsterdam. I sailed on her several years ago and had a great time, good service, good food and a mini-frig in the cabin.

Not sure why you'd ask your roommate to get you ice. That's something I'd ask my cabin steward for. I've always had ice refreshed in my cabin by my steward on both Princess and HAL.

Pam;

Sorry for the misunderstanding. By 'roomie' I meant my room steward. But they were incredibly busy with the plague [noro] and were hard to get. Never even came to our room before 1PM. Actually, since I was sick 1st, then my roommate, we DID actually go up to the buffet and get ice for each other when no steward was to be seen.

For all my reservations [and my illness, which was quite mild but still confining], I had a good time on a great itenerary. In fact Pam, it was you that talked me into considering HAL and their much better itenerary. Thanks.

For anyone who has not been to Nicaragua, do go! Very neat people, I really loved our guide there.

Doug

Rule #1 for cruising: Better to be cruising than not! ;)

Archived