Shore excursion from Puerto Madryn to Valdes peninsular Nature Reserve

SANDAS

Following the cancellation of our planned stop on Silver Cloud at the Falklands we have been advised that we are now stopping at Puerto Madryn (Argentina). SS are organising two non-private excursions and one is to the Valdes Peninsular Nature Reserve to see Elephant Seals, Sea Lions, various birds and Magellan Penguins. It costs $299 pp, takes over 8 hours and involves a 240 mile round trip much of which is on unpaved rugged roads. Although we want to see lots wild life and scenery, the expense of trips is a factor for us as is the long drive, so I would be really grateful if anyone who has done this trip could comment on their experience. This will help us decide. (The other one we don't fancy at all).

We have done a tour from P Madryn to the Valdes Peninsula and saw all the wildlife you mention. The roads were unpaved but fairly smooth and not an issue in the coach. We found it an enjoyable trip. You are permitted to walk among the tiny penguins and quite close enough to the elephant seals for my liking! They are HUGE.

We took that excursion in 2011 on a cruise from the Whisper. Yes, it is a long drive, but the road wasn't all that bad. Our bus broke down and we had to crowd into the second bus with others from the Whisper until we could get to the area to watch the wildlife. It was well worth the cost and time to see the penguins, seals and other animals along the way. Lunch was enjoyable. We were over an hour late getting back to the ship due to the breakdown, but because it was an SS tour, they held the ship for us.

It can be a hot and dusty trip, so if you have health problems, you might want to do something else. For us, it was a wonderful trip full of great memories, and started our love of penguins.

I'm sorry you won't get the opportunity to go to the Falklands. We were fortunate to be able to go and loved the experience.

Hope this helps.

Thank you both for your replies. My worries about the road have been resolved by what you say as we are both as fit and healthy still thank goodness. Your experiences, having been good, we shall take the trip. Thanks for helping.

Uksu, This was one of the best excursions on our Whisper 12/10 VPO-BA cruise. It may say 8 hrs but it is closer to 6-7. Second, the lunch at the estancia is delicious. By that time you've seen the animals and are ready for the meal.

We took many pictures of the penguins and used one as our 12/11 Christmas card. If you are willing to include your e- mail on the web site I will send you an idea of what you can expect.

Hope you will!

Newlondon

Silversea organised a bus (small van) tour from Ushaia of the national park and district for passengers on b2b cruises last March. They charged more than $200pp.

We had a similar, more comprehensive tour in a car with a knowlegable guide/driver for $140 for the car which could seat four pax, $37 each. With only two it was still a huge saving.

You may find a private operator who will do the Puerto Madryn tour more comfortably for less.

Thanks New London and HDS. New London, I don't know how to post my email to you on the web-site. I don't want to put it on this general forum. Is there a more private way? I have tried accessing you on the members board but that doesn't seem to show a way of sending it to you.

Uksu, Don't blame you. I had a lot of problems with spam after making that mistake. Send your address to Host Dan and ask him to forward it. He has my e-mail.

Happy new Year!

How do you send something to Host Dan?

Thanks.

If you use the search box on this site for host dan, a message with his contact email at cruisecritic is shown. I assume it is OK to pass this information on as he has given his cruisecritic email. Apologies if I have broken any protocols in posting this information.

Archived