Planing ahead for port days.

lola4795

Do you plan ahead for port days or just wing it? I tend to be an OCD planner, but I'm really tempted to just try to find our own tours when we get off the ship in each port (Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Grand Cayman).

What do you think? We've been to Cozumel and GC. We will probably do beach days there. The other two are unknown factors for us. Do we dare wing it?

I am an OCD planner as well, so even if we plan to "wing it", I still do tons of research to find out what is going to be available in each port. I don't want to get there and then discover that we can not find something we are interested in. The port of call boards are excellent resources to find what is being offered as you walk off in each port.

Just an FYI for Mahogany Bay, unless you plan on staying at the cruise terminal and going to the beach, which is nice, you have to walk outside the terminal and up a hill to find anything offered by the locals or a taxi as this is a carnival operated terminal and they do not let them down near the terminal. So a little extra research and pre-planning would be beneficial for you.

I'm a planner. I book online mostly through independent operators that I am familiar with. In Belize, I book a snorkeling excursion through the ship that picks you up at the ship, eliminating the long tender ride. In Progreso, we just get a massage on the beach and shop at the flea market.

Belize is not the safest place in the Caribbean. I would make reservations with a reputable tour or one from the cruise line in advance. Tour guides have said it is not safe to wander the city streets or go into the countryside on your own. There is plenty of info posted on each port for you to make a decision.

I am also a planner. I figure the time we have in port is very limited and I don't want to waste any of it wandering around trying to figure out what to do. We usually book a tour in advance, and have a 'plan B' just in case that falls thru.

Archived