Booking a block of rooms

Avoid headaches. Find a good cruise TA and turn it over to them. Then you will not have to spend your time answering the same questions over and over, reminding your guests about payments due, and listening to complaints. I see no advantage to doing this yourself.

Thank you for posting this as I was just about to post the same thing.

As I am getting ready to finalize which cruise will be our wedding cruise, I have heard past brides discuss benefits of both TA vs. direct at the cruise line/group booking.

I know many prefer the TA to organize, facilitate and often get better rates. I have also heard that directly at the cruise line/group booking has then given the couple additional OBC, free happy hours, etc.

Can anyone confirm additional benefits/lower rates for one or the other?

Shatima - I know you active on this board and I believe booked the Breeze - which way did you book?

Thanks!

We used our PVP with Carnival to book everything. He was great and was able to do things that are out of the realm of normal like putting 48 hour holds on cabins (before they started the courtesy holds online). It was also nice because he was able to help us with getting in contact with dining for selecting our dinner tables and other departments within the company. He also made himself available to answer questions for some of our guests.

We didn't book at a group rate because so many people wanted so many different cabin types and the perks (OBC, free berth, cocktail hours, etc) didn't matter because we are paying for a chunk of the cabins and would end up paying for the perks in the end. I believe the price difference between no-perks and perks was nearly $700--I'd have to go back through the quotes from CCL.

We ultimately decided to not go with a TA because we were not able to call the line directly--the TA had to. We wanted as much control over the booking(s) as possible. The last time we used a TA with a group of people, he wanted to charge $40pp every time there was a price drop or change and it got very frustrating. Through the line you can do all the changes yourself. I've had a couple of 2am conversations in the last few months and that's been great for us.

We used our PVP with Carnival to book everything. He was great and was able to do things that are out of the realm of normal like putting 48 hour holds on cabins (before they started the courtesy holds online). It was also nice because he was able to help us with getting in contact with dining for selecting our dinner tables and other departments within the company. He also made himself available to answer questions for some of our guests.

We didn't book at a group rate because so many people wanted so many different cabin types and the perks (OBC, free berth, cocktail hours, etc) didn't matter because we are paying for a chunk of the cabins and would end up paying for the perks in the end. I believe the price difference between no-perks and perks was nearly $700--I'd have to go back through the quotes from CCL.

We ultimately decided to not go with a TA because we were not able to call the line directly--the TA had to. We wanted as much control over the booking(s) as possible. The last time we used a TA with a group of people, he wanted to charge $40pp every time there was a price drop or change and it got very frustrating. Through the line you can do all the changes yourself. I've had a couple of 2am conversations in the last few months and that's been great for us.

We also decided not to book as a group. While we would have received some perks, the group rate would have been at a price higher than we've ever paid for a similar cruise. We thought it fair that the price we'd be asking our guests to pay was comparable to what we'd be willing to pay on our own for a regular vacation.

I was worried that we'd be answering a lot of questions, but it hasn't been that bad so far. Each guest has been able to book how they please (directly through Carnival, Expedia, through their own travel agent), and have gotten the price that they're comfortable with.

I've also liked being able to call Carnival directly with questions and not have to feed them through a TA.

Thank you Carnival_Brides... super helpful! I think I need to find a rockin PVP to get us started!

I see you are getting married in just over a week! Congratulations! May I ask the timing of your invites and RSVPs. I am getting ready to get started and wanted to hear timings on how long you gave people to RSVP and how much in advance everyone had to book.

Thanks!

I always book my cruises directly through Carnival (never use a travel agent), so when booking my wedding cruise I decided to do the same and avoid an agent. I like having the flexibility to make all changes myself to bookings. It was really easy to call the group booking department and get it setup. Then I only had to relay the detailed room rates and group booking number to anyone who decided to book the cruise. We didn't run into any issues doing it this way.

Good luck!

Thank you Carnival_Brides... super helpful! I think I need to find a rockin PVP to get us started!

I see you are getting married in just over a week! Congratulations! May I ask the timing of your invites and RSVPs. I am getting ready to get started and wanted to hear timings on how long you gave people to RSVP and how much in advance everyone had to book.

Thanks!

We selected our cruise before the dates were even available, so we booked the first day the cruise was open in August/September of 2011 (500+ days ahead of time). As soon as we were confirmed for the wedding and our VIPs were booked we sent out cruise themed Save the Dates at the end of September. We did set up a website with online RSVP, FAQ, and booking information, which made the whole process insanely easy for us. At first EVERYONE was coming (40ish guests), but when it got down to the nitty gritty we are only having 11, as 3 just backed out last week.

Our invites were completed over the summer and we mailed them in July/August with a RSVP date of December 15. We didn't have to give CCL driver's license numbers because our guests have to sail to attend the wedding and will give CCL that information on their own. Almost everyone has RSVPed, but it doesn't really matter because again, they have to cruise.

We were allowing people to book whenever they wanted, as they could have still booked up until a week ago, but our cruise sold-out three weeks before it sails. :eek:

Heeeey Im here.. Its My BDay Wooohoooo.. loll Ok

Cruise I booked with my Carnival PVP.. I have used her for years,and I love her and TRUST her.. I never Use a TA or Book online for my cruise.. UI get so much more info and ideas, Plus they know the best room Locations (say U get a room over or under the club, That wouldnt be GOOD!!!! so just ask questions thats what they are there for..

Hotels~ TA Now Becky is holding that part dow for me.. We had picked a hotel (marriott!!!!!) that wanted money up front, and I said OH NOOO (and after coming to CC and reading) So we picked a new one Holiday inn. No money due to we get there (1 day b 4 we check in) thats soo much better.. But they call her and ask away, give her their CC, etc.. Woo that helps..

Shuttles~ Now I was having a time with that, But I then called the Hotel to see who they used and they told me I could use theres (for a fee $5pp ew) or a couple of other names,.. From the Airports im giving the name of a couple different shuttle so they can pick from

In All im telling my crew that this is UR Vacay, which happens to be a Wedding as well.. I here and willing to help anyone that will need it to ake their Vacay eaiser.. Just remember to use your help,an that Ur friends/fam will still come to you with questions, and just do the best you can.. U got this :D Congrats

Hope this helps some.. and if im not up here and U have a question(s) email me.. (allaboutthis04@yahoo.com)

Thank you for posting this as I was just about to post the same thing.

As I am getting ready to finalize which cruise will be our wedding cruise, I have heard past brides discuss benefits of both TA vs. direct at the cruise line/group booking.

I know many prefer the TA to organize, facilitate and often get better rates. I have also heard that directly at the cruise line/group booking has then given the couple additional OBC, free happy hours, etc.

Can anyone confirm additional benefits/lower rates for one or the other?

Shatima - I know you active on this board and I believe booked the Breeze - which way did you book?

Thanks!

Hi,

First and foremost, CONGRATS!!!! :D

I have organized a group cruise every year for the last 10 years. I usually did all of it myself (way easier than you think), last year I decided to use a TA and had a horrible experience!!!! So this year and for our wedding cruise back to doing it myself!!!!

In booking our group directly through Carnivals groups department I have always gotten the same or lower rates than TA's quoted me. Plus you get ammenity points which can be used for lots of perks (onboard credit, free cocktail parties, beach bags, photo credits, ect.) And for every 8 cabins booked you get one free berth. So maybe you and the future hubby can cruise for free!!!! You can book all of the cabin types for your group. Also as stated before they connect you to the dining staff so you are all seated together for dinner. Carnival also offers discounted rates for group excursions.

When you call the groups dept at Carnival, they give you a group booking number and a phone number for the groups dept. Give this info to your guests and they can call carnival and book under your group booking. I believe you also have 15 days at the locked in group rate (they also give extensions). Carnival will answer your guests questions, ect. just like a TA.

Just my opinion and personal experience I prefer to book with Carnival directly, hope this helps!!!!!

I booked mine (on NCL, haven't sailed Carnival so not sure of any differences) through a small TA that I've known for many years. Guests got the same rate the would have gotten by booking through NCL directly, we got the NCL group perks of free cocktail hour and 16th berth free, and it was great to have someone else do all of the work in getting people booked/paid/etc. I found that she was able to get answers to all of my questions very quickly, and I was given direct contact information for someone in the wedding department who I could also contact with any questions if I didn't want to go through the TA. I only did that once for a last minute question about ID for a non-sailing guest.

Having a TA I knew and trusted taking care of things reduced my stress a lot! Although I can see how if it was not a good TA it could have just as easily added to my stress. Just pick a system that you're comfortable with and go for it :)

Hello fellow cruisers!

I am planning my wedding cruise on the Carnival Dream for January 2014. I have been on a cruise once before and absolutely loved it! I have to say so far this process has been really confusing. I just wanted to check and find out how you are all getting a PVP for setting up your booking as I am new to this? Also, I was told that if you book as a group you will get cruise credit. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Kristin

If you call Carnival and ask for a PVP they'll direct you to a random person who will be more than happy to help you. You may also notice that if you're logged into Carnival.com and looking for cruises you may get a random call from one to help you with your booking needs. We started our bookings with a PVP, but call the 800# when there's a problem and the other reps at CCL have been great at stepping in and troubleshooting.

Thank you so much for the well wishes and advice. We are choosing to use a group person mainly because they will allow me to book ( and pay for) 5 cabins minimum versus the 8 Carnival wanted. We will end up with 20 cabins at least, but we are only paying for 5, so this was a big factor. We do get the free passenger for every 8 cabins, so this is about the same. I have used this company a few times happily, so I will trust them again.

Archived