Which Caribbean Ports of Call on Magic??

4hunters

We will be doing a 7-day Western Caribbean this coming Aug or Sept aboard Magic. Can't wait! However, we just can't decide on which ports we should visit. Cost of the cruise isn't really the concern, we just want to know which ports are more "tropical feeling", offer good snorkeling and nice beaches.

If you had to choose between these two cruises, based on the criteria above, which one would you pick?

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan - Belize - Cozumel

or

Montego Bay, Jamaica - Grand Cayman - Cozumel

Thanks in advance! ;)

I would do the Key West, Freeport, Nassau for the most tropical feeling. The other 2 are offered by basically every cruiseline that sails out of Galveston but the one above is unique.

I agree with CaribeDiver. We've been to the other places so many times we're planning a special trip this summer just to get the Bahamas from Galveston or New Orleans.

We will be doing a 7-day Western Caribbean this coming Aug or Sept aboard Magic. Can't wait! However, we just can't decide on which ports we should visit. Cost of the cruise isn't really the concern, we just want to know which ports are more "tropical feeling", offer good snorkeling and nice beaches.

If you had to choose between these two cruises, based on the criteria above, which one would you pick?

Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan - Belize - Cozumel

or

Montego Bay, Jamaica - Grand Cayman - Cozumel

Thanks in advance! ;)

That's a tough call. I've been on 7 cruises to Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Only one to Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan; Belize and Cozumel.

If you are looking for nice beaches then it is my opinion that you can find that at each port of call with the Jamaica itinerary. I visited Mahogany Bay, etc., in June of 2011 and while it was a nice change I didn't care for Belize. Maybe I was just misinformed but I don't think there are a lot of nice beaches in Belize. If you like to scuba dive then supposedly it is THE place to be. But don't believe you have options of the beautiful beaches as you do in the other itinerary choice.

I would do the Key West, Freeport, Nassau for the most tropical feeling. The other 2 are offered by basically every cruiseline that sails out of Galveston but the one above is unique.

This would be my pick. I was actually looking into this itinerary for later this year but it's only offered once a month, and none of the weekend after this Summer are really good for me, so it looks like I'll be doing a five day on Triumph instead. Wish Carnival would consider adding more Eastern cruises.

You will get a bunch of opinions here, but we have been a bunch of times, and only once to the Bahamas, and do not care to go back there. A lot of people agree that Freeport is a waste, and don't think Nassau is all that hot.. We like Key West.. But over all, We like Roatan, Belize, and Coz...Grand Cayman is pretty, but expensive as far as drinks and food. Jamaica is ok , but not real safe, off by yourselves. These are just our personal opinions..Hope you make the best choice for you...:)

For snorkeling on the Magic I would rate them as follows:

Belize - go to the outer reefs, they are the best I have ever seen. Surf can be a little tough at times.

Roatan - again head offshore but there is not so much of a problem with surf/current.

Grand Cayman - walk over to Eden Rock, it's about a ten minute swim from the shore so use a vest, after that it's pretty neat.

Montego Bay - Not my favorite port but jump on one of the private catamaran tours to the reef. Do it in the morning before the wind picks up. It's good.

Cozumel - you have to get off the beach into deeper water, there it is a good deal. Just remember that there is always a strong current running. Vest is almost essential.

Bahamas - we were there last January, that is not a good time to get in the water.

Key West - who wants to get in the water? Best shrimp/oysters/margaurita/daquiries/etc. Why get wet?

Archived