Cabin swapping once on board: Can it be done?

squidward

A group of 10 of us are sailing together on the Gem next week. Six of us (5 adults and 1 toddler) are booked in a 2-bedroom suite. The other 2 couples are in separate inside cabins. Because of bad timing, one of the couples in the suite wanted their own inside cabin, but there were none available so we put them in the suite. Meanwhile, one of the couples who had booked an inside cabin are willing to give up their inside and take the small bedroom in the suite.

Since all final payments have been made, neither our TA nor NCL are willing to switch cabin assignments, essentially swapping the names of the couples between the inside cabin and the suite.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the swap official once we get on board? I want to make sure that the couple who are giving up their inside cabin for the suite get the requisite suite passenger benefits. It's only fair, right?:)

Thanks in advance for any advice!:):)

Ed

A group of 10 of us are sailing together on the Gem next week. Six of us (5 adults and 1 toddler) are booked in a 2-bedroom suite. The other 2 couples are in separate inside cabins. Because of bad timing, one of the couples in the suite wanted their own inside cabin, but there were none available so we put them in the suite. Meanwhile, one of the couples who had booked an inside cabin are willing to give up their inside and take the small bedroom in the suite.

Since all final payments have been made, neither our TA nor NCL are willing to switch cabin assignments, essentially swapping the names of the couples between the inside cabin and the suite.

Does anyone know if it's possible to make the swap official once we get on board? I want to make sure that the couple who are giving up their inside cabin for the suite get the requisite suite passenger benefits. It's only fair, right?:)

Thanks in advance for any advice!:):)

Ed

Hmmm. I think this would constitute a cancellation and require a new booking thus losing all monies paid. If the first passenger remains the same on a reservation, you can do name changes. The problem would be with that inside cabin as those names would be changed.

We've had people switched around on the Gem to Bermuda in 2011 at the Purser's desk upon embarking so you may have a shot. The only difference I see, which may be a problem, is that we only switched one person from each cabin so one of the original passengers was still in each cabin. They may not allow all passengers in one cabin to switch (as said above).

Maybe what you can try doing is call your TA/NCL and try to have all your booking numbers linked so that when you go to the Purser's desk they see that you are one party. The Purser may oblige or they may say no but either way it's worth a shot!

And if you are denied the switch, don't let it get your friends down. You're still escaping frigid NY for 9 days. I'll see you Wednesday ;)

You may be able to do an unofficial swap by getting folks extra keys to access the rooms they intend to sleep in despite still being assigned to a different cabin. You'd have to work out all of the details on board. Good luck!

You may be able to do an unofficial swap by getting folks extra keys to access the rooms they intend to sleep in despite still being assigned to a different cabin. You'd have to work out all of the details on board. Good luck!

That's my back-up plan. The couples are already planning to swap luggage tags so their bags arrive in the correct cabin. Then they'll each need two sets of key cards, one linked to their name and picture for on-board expenses and getting on and off the ship, the other to get them in their stateroom and for the suite guests to have access to Cagney's etc.

The inside staterooms are located on the same deck as the suite, so in any event there will be a lot of cabin sharing, with the suite as the de facto meeting place.:)

The problem is for the folks in the inside. They are not going to be given extra keys to come and go from the suite. They are not going to get suite privileges because they are registered to the inside cabin. Lots of problems with this as far as charging privileges etc. Best to get it straightened out ahead of time. Have you talked to a supervisor at the travel agency? Again, I think the issue is going to be the name changes because the first person in the inside cabin is not going to stay the same.

Can you do a partial switch ahead of time? Sometimes people are allowed to change names if one original name remains. If you leave one original name on the inside cabin (gentleman A for example), will NCL and the travel agent allow you to move lady A to the suite while moving gentleman B to the inside?

If that is allowed, upon check in Gentleman B will have the correct key and perhaps can link lady B's on board account, if desired. Lady A will have a suite key at check in and perhaps can link gentleman A's on board expenses, if desired. The whole gang can go to guest services once on board to rearrange gentleman A into the suite and Lady B into the inside. It is a tiny bit of a hassle, but it may be your best bet.

Can you do a partial switch ahead of time? Sometimes people are allowed to change names if one original name remains. If you leave one original name on the inside cabin (gentleman A for example), will NCL and the travel agent allow you to move lady A to the suite while moving gentleman B to the inside?

If that is allowed, upon check in Gentleman B will have the correct key and perhaps can link lady B's on board account, if desired. Lady A will have a suite key at check in and perhaps can link gentleman A's on board expenses, if desired. The whole gang can go to guest services once on board to rearrange gentleman A into the suite and Lady B into the inside. It is a tiny bit of a hassle, but it may be your best bet.

This may work or at least get them in a better situation before boarding the ship. I would try it.

The problem is for the folks in the inside. They are not going to be given extra keys to come and go from the suite. They are not going to get suite privileges because they are registered to the inside cabin. Lots of problems with this as far as charging privileges etc. Best to get it straightened out ahead of time. Have you talked to a supervisor at the travel agency? Again, I think the issue is going to be the name changes because the first person in the inside cabin is not going to stay the same.

I deal with the owner of the cruise agency, so unfortunately there is no supervisor to speak with. I called the NCL Concierge desk for suite guests and after about 20 minutes on hold they determined it couldn't be done in advance. I'm not sure if there's anyone left to ask!:confused:

It seems to me that if the two couples go up to the front desk together they should be able to get it done. I can understand that they won't issue extra keys, to prevent non-suite guests from gaining access to suite amenities. So, worse case scenario, we'll just have the couples share keys depending on the situation. We're not trying to get over or get something for nothing, but they're making it feel that way.:o

I deal with the owner of the cruise agency, so unfortunately there is no supervisor to speak with. I called the NCL Concierge desk for suite guests and after about 20 minutes on hold they determined it couldn't be done in advance. I'm not sure if there's anyone left to ask!:confused:

It seems to me that if the two couples go up to the front desk together they should be able to get it done. I can understand that they won't issue extra keys, to prevent non-suite guests from gaining access to suite amenities. So, worse case scenario, we'll just have the couples share keys depending on the situation. We're not trying to get over or get something for nothing, but they're making it feel that way.:o

Have you tried to move one person from each set into the correct cabin, as mentioned above? I think you will have better luck precruise if one original name stays on the inside cabin booking precruise. Plenty of original names will stay on the suite booking. Time is short if the cruise is next week, so maybe it is now too late to move anybody...you won't know until you ask.

This may work or at least get them in a better situation before boarding the ship. I would try it.

Yep...definitely agree with the above two posts on this suggestion. Would change at least one person on each reservation ahead of time (they should allow this) then it is only one person to "switch" on board which hopefully will not be a problem. Bring up the topic with the concierge and they will hopefully be able to help you out. I think you got very good advice from these posters and this is what I would do.

We had 14 on our Pearl cruise and moved several of us around between two mini's and an inside. This included a total switch of people in rooms where no original person was still in there. They can put anyone where they want on the ship. They certainly CAN do this. Just need representatives from each room to go to the desk at the same time.

For details, I was booked with son #1 in an inside. My wife was booked in a mini with son #2. My brother and his family of 4 were booked in another mini. After the swaps, my two teens were in the inside room, my wife and I were in the room originally occupied by my brother's family, and his family was in the mini my wife originally had (they wanted the connector to my parent's room).

Archived