Do you still smell the "partiers"?

GPop&Nana

I hate to ask such a question, and figure I will get flamed (hopefully small flames...lol) but here goes. On our last several cruises with Carnival - admittedly a few years ago - we often smelled, ummmm, certain "herbal" substances being smoked. Frequently the smell was strong enough to make us joke that the fumes alone would get us high...

Is this still the situation on board? Is this just on certain cruises? Help, please. Just curious.

Carnival has a zero tolerance policy and I'm pretty certain you'd be put off at the next port or handed over to the authorities when stateside.

Do not purchase drugs while on an island or other foreign port... you DO NOT want to be locked up in a foreign jail.

Ever see Locked Up Abroad? <shivers>

I've read that sometimes the police hang out in the cruise zone hoping to spy an illegal transaction and then they will arrest the cruise passenger on the ship.

I do know they have drug dogs sniff the luggage as well. I've read passenger reports of drug sniffing dogs being walked slowly past passenger cabins while on the cruise.

Word of warning.

Thank you all. On the last few cruises we took - admittedly involving Jamaica - the smell was intolerable. Now - we were on the Riviera Deck - but getting off the elevators was like walking into a fog of "that smell". Truly sickening. Glad to know it may have changed in the last few years.:D

I have only cruised twice in the last three years, but I can say that I have not smelled any. I am allergic to pot smoke, so I would be one of the first to say something to the correct people. I would rather not spend my time on the ship with swollen eyes and feeling like I cannot breath.

We went to Jamaica on our last cruise and had no real problem once back on the ship.

I have smelled and seen it on several Princess cruises but not on CCL. I am sure folks smoke on CCL, just haven't smelled or seen it.

Medical MJ has been legal where I live for a long time and now recreational MJ is legal so not sure I would even notice anymore.

Since smoking a bit of MJ is a way of life for some people, not sure I would consider them "partiers" anymore than I consider a social drinker a partier.

I'm not sure I understand the reason for your question. Are you looking to score next cruise?

Cheers!

Lol - no Tantra - I was just wondering. I will have friends with younger kiddos with and just wanted to be aware...but thanks for asking.:p

Lol - no Tantra - I was just wondering. I will have friends with younger kiddos with and just wanted to be aware...but thanks for asking.:p

They can go up top around the funnel and smoke their stuff there. That's where the CD's always tell 'us' to finish our stash before returning to port.

I happen to love the smell - brought back memories of the 70s. I was one of those wild and crazy people back then and survived - "if you remember the 70s then you did not have a good time" (ha ha). I can say that it is on almost every ship you sail - not just Carnival but I just seemed to notice it more there - mainly because we travel Carnival the most. At least they TRY to keep it private by doing it in their own cabins (I know - they do it on the ship elsewhere but as secluded as they can be). It happens and won't change so just explain to the kids what it is and why people do it and hopefully you have raised your kids to be open about things and will continue to talk to you about it. My kids know my past and don't judge me for it and at 60 years old we have a total open dialogue

Your friends with younger kiddos are fortunate to have friends like you. It's tough raising kids now days.

Cheers!

I am going to be new to cruising in April, so I can't speak of it on a boat.

I have smelled it at parties and I just ask them to take it elsewhere. I can't be near it because of health reasons and someone will need to go elsewhere and it won't be me!

Archived