Taxi Availability?

slocav

Plenty of taxi cabs are lined up post cruise. Be careful with the cost for the return to the airport. When we shared a cab with friends, the driver demanded double of the rate and added in our carry on luggage to the fee claiming it was "policy." That was the first time we ever had a problem with a taxi driver in SJ. I jotted down his cab number and later reported the incident, no response, but shared the info with my TA who followed up with a letter on his letter head - that got a response. Tourism drives the economy so positive experiences are what they want to hear.

Skip the cruise line transfers - long lines, waiting to fill the bus, loading and unloading luggage. Then everyone enters the terminal at once and lines up for the agricultural check.

Darcy

Plenty of taxi cabs are lined up post cruise. Be careful with the cost for the return to the airport. When we shared a cab with friends, the driver demanded double of the rate and added in our carry on luggage to the fee claiming it was "policy." That was the first time we ever had a problem with a taxi driver in SJ. I jotted down his cab number and later reported the incident, no response, but shared the info with my TA who followed up with a letter on his letter head - that got a response. Tourism drives the economy so positive experiences are what they want to hear.

Skip the cruise line transfers - long lines, waiting to fill the bus, loading and unloading luggage. Then everyone enters the terminal at once and lines up for the agricultural check.

Darcy

Great advice, thank you for that!

I've always had great luck with taxis. I think you can avoid any possible conflicts in price by going to the taxi stand and getting a ticket with a pre-set price instead of walking directly up to a waiting cab. It is really very fast and efficient. I've never been charged for my carry-on luggage that I take into the cab with me, but if the driver loads it into the trunk, then I assume he would charge the dollar per bag fee.

The one time a porter took me directly to a cab instead of to the taxi stand, the driver charged me a few extra dollars from the standard rate.

Archived