Dawn vs. Spirit?

dongordon

Don:

While I have not been on the Dawn yet, I was on the Nor. Star (identical sister ship to the Dawn) in Feb. and of the 20 ships I've been on it, this was one of my favorites. Only have liked the Crystal Harmony and the Constellation better. Cabins were decent size, food and service great, and entertainment was very well done. Was very excited to book the Nor. Spirit in April as I'd heard very good things about that ship as well. Perhaps my expectations were too high but it would be a toss up as to what ship was the worst I have ever been on, the Spirit or the Fascination. It was very disappointing to say the least. Yes the decor is quite original with an Oriental flavor throughout the ship. However the cabins were rather worn and in need of major refurbishment. No refrigerators and the ugliest color schemes ever. Broken fixtures and mold in the shower. Food and service no where near the level of the Star. We did try all three of the alternative restaurants on the Star and they were all quite good. Entertainment was rather lacking. The Star has the Jean Ann Ryan group on board while NCL produces the shows on the Spirit themselves. Huge difference. The Spirit also recycled entertainment (ie the same magician 2 nights). One of the best features of the Star (and I'd assume the Dawn) is the spa with the indoor pool and steam rooms/ sauna. Spent a lot of time relaxing here. No such feature on the Spirit. The Spirit does have 2 swim against the current indoor pools but they are only big enough for 1 person at a time. Honestly can not think of one feature on the Spirit that out shined the Star. Don't mean to sound so negative but don't want you to be as diappointed as we were.

I guess it would be difficult for the Spirit to match up with the Dawn, because of its age. Thd Dawn is new and vibant.

Sorry to hear that you considered the Spirit equal to Carnival's Fascination since I heard that ship was terrible.

I'm not sure if I should take my chances on the Spirit since it is the only 7 day cruise out of NYC President's week, and to fly anywhere is expensive and chancey that week.

Thanks for your frank comments...I appreciate it.

Don

I've not been on the Spirit, but I have been on the Fascination for a 4 night trip out of Miami (Key West, Cozumel). We loved it and had a blast. Yes, she's on the older side, and the Carnival decor is more Las Vegas, but she is extremely well laid out, good food, great staff. Fun.

Don,

Everyone will have their own opinion on each ship. All I can say is to take the majority of them and form your own. I'd also have to interject that the spirit is the most unique ship sailing in the usa right now and the very last thing I was compare it to is a Carnival ship, she is far from that. I can assure you that I have been on many cruises and this one of the most spectacular ships I've ever been on. Even our conceirge, Claudio (who has worked for some of the most exclusive cruiselines in the world) said that the Spirit has the most incredible suites in the entire ncl fleet. Again...I must say that this is because the spirit came from the Star cruise line and was designed for a very upscale asain market. With that said....GOOD LUCK and enjoy whatever cruise you pick.

Jeff

I enjoyed our cruise on the Fascination. It's a really fun 4 night cruise. We were delighted with the size of our cabin as well. Most of all, we really enjoyed the pizza w/caesar salad and ice cream 24 hours. Can't beat the price either. The thing I liked most about the Fascination was the pool on the back of the ship. It was so quiet and relaxing back there. Our RCL cruises always seem to have a solarium, which I wouldn't mind if they would open the glass roof on warm sunny days.

I didn't like the Solarium on the Dawn either--but loved everything else, especially the freestyle dining in so many wonderful restaurants. I don't like having the same dining room, with the same waiter, and the same guests night after night eating at a designated time. The only other dining option is a buffet--which I definetely don't enjoy. It won't stop me from cruising on RCL and Carnival, but I can't wait to book the Dawn again--hopefully in 2006. I really enjoyed sailing out of New York. I couldn't believe it when we left NY in mid December at 40 degrees and were in 70 degrees the next day. Gotta love that gulfstream. Best of all, is not having to fly anywhere.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

I can answer that question! He had an AC suite. I know cuz I asked SuperFlyJeff that as that is what Joe and I have booked. Check out SuperFly's photos--don't remember the URL. Their suite was AWESOME and I am really excited. :)

Since you have been on both lines, would you pick the Spirit or Voyager?

Archived