exploring departure port

lizziehope

I don't know Galveston, but you can check your bags with the ship and do your cruise check-in but not go aboard right away -- go off and explore the port, then return and just go right aboard since you'd already checked in.

Most times you can drop off your luggage around 10 AM. Checkin usually begins around 11 AM.

Keep in mind that you have to be on the ship for lifeboat drill. For example, if your ship leaves at 5 -- usually lifeboat drill is at 4:15; if your ship leaves at 4, then it is usually held at 3:15.

JMO -- but I would arrive a day or two early and that way you have lots of time to explore Galveston.

Check out time at most hotels is noon. If you are staying at the Harbor House on the pier that night you can walk to the Strand. Just be careful crossing the streets because traffice is heavy and the drivers have equally heavy foots (if you know what I mean.)

Or, you can always stay on Seawall Blvd and walk along the beach. Go checkout the different restaurants/bars. You can also go to Pleasure Pier which is an amusement type park over the water.

The morning of the cruise you can drop off your luggage and walk to The Strand and find a place to get a cup of coffee and pastry to relax before your cruise.

Archived