Rome with 4 kids

Mardonna

We are traveling the Disney magic in July and our kids will be 12, 9, 9, and 5 at time of travel......the excursions are so costly for a family of 6....what are the other options......we need some type of guided tour. My husband and I have been to Rome before but the kids have not.....any suggestions would be helpful.....

Can I ask why you think you need some type of guided tour? We went DIY with our kids in Rome (ages 8, 10 & 12 at the time) and it was one of our best days on our cruise. We walked to the train station in Civitavecchia, bought transit passes and took the train. Went to the Coliseum & Forum, saw the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, a couple churches, the Parthenon and St. Peter's. (Not the Vatican Museum, though.) Had plenty of time for a sit down lunch and gelato breaks. The buses and metro are very easy to use. Whole day cost us under 125€.

There are also many tour companies recommended here on Cruise Critic. Rome in Limo seems to be the favorite, but you can search and I'm sure find others recommended that you can contact for a quote.

We are taveling with another family on our July Med cruise and are doing a private tour for the day with Rome in Limo...not cheap but we can split it with them. Maybe you can find another family on your Roll Call to take the tour with and split the cost??

Agree that if you have been there to consider a DIY walking tour hitting the major sights. This would be the least expensive and the kids would probably enjoy setting your own pace. But be sure to have a good walking map as Rome is large and you can only see so much.

We are traveling the Disney magic in July and our kids will be 12, 9, 9, and 5 at time of travel......the excursions are so costly for a family of 6....what are the other options......we need some type of guided tour. My husband and I have been to Rome before but the kids have not.....any suggestions would be helpful.....

Check out the 1000s of recommendations for Romeinlimo. It is such a great company. We took our 3 kids (and my mother) in 2009 and we had such a fantastic time with them. We told them what we wanted to do and they perfected a great day in both Rome and Naples. It is really worth the money and when looking at ship excursions they are SO affordable and you won't be on the bus with 50 others. Please get a tour here in Rome... it's such an amazing city.

I'd suggest either booking your own excursion or joining up with another family (start looking on your roll call) with children having similar ages.

As you know you can do this on your own - you already have. My major concerns are July can be quite hot, and based on the number of miles to be covered it's quite possible at least one of the junior family members will fizzle out before you're done. (I remember an exceptionally hot day in DC carrying a 5 year old who couldn't/wouldn't go another step back to the metro! :eek:) With a tour operator they'll get you to/from the sites with great ease and save you a lot of steps.

Archived