DW Phone Home

TaylorMace

We are cruising on CB in February. The last cruise we purchased an internet package and skyped the Grand Parents to talk to DDs(now 7 and 9). My DW likes to check on them and I'm trying to figure out the best way to call home both $$ and reliable.

We have Verizon and I know it is $2.50 a minute on the ship. Is it cheaper on Princess Cays/Aruba or Curacau?

Has anyone purchased the internet package and skyped from ship recently? What was the cost?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If you Skype, and it's not blocked on the ship, you should do it at times when few passengers are using the Internet. Skyping is a bandwidth hog which will mean that anyone trying to use the Internet will either have very slow or no service. If it's slow, you're costing them money because they will be using far more minutes than they would otherwise. :(

Chances are that Skyping will be blocked but if it isn't, be informed and aware of the effect on others.

If you Skype, and it's not blocked on the ship, you should do it at times when few passengers are using the Internet. Skyping is a bandwidth hog which will mean that anyone trying to use the Internet will either have very slow or no service. If it's slow, you're costing them money because they will be using far more minutes than they would otherwise. :(

Chances are that Skyping will be blocked but if it isn't, be informed and aware of the effect on others.

Pam - thanks for the answer. I thought I had read here that skyping was causing trouble. That is how we called the last two cruises (4 years ago and 3 years before that). That was before video was part of the call. Maybe it is just the $2.50 a minute calls then.

Archived