Aging up on Carnival?

beckyjohns

My kids will be 5 on the 1st day of our cruise, but turning 6 on the 4th day. I'm assuming they'll be placed in the 2-5 group, but will they be able to move up to the 6-8 group on their birthday? I know they don't make exceptions to the rules, so I'm just trying to figure out what the rule is. My kids would be much happier in the 6-8 group, so if given a choice, we'd go that route.

We went on Carnival last May. Daughter would turn 6 end of June. We asked when checking her in if she could move up to the 6-8 year old group. They said no problem. Changed her name tag to say 6 instead of 5. Granted, there were very little kids on the boat so it might not always be the case.

I would ask about just putting them straight into the 6-8 year old group, all then can say is no.

You may want to leave your options open. My girls turned 7 on a Carnival cruise and didn't feel comfortable in their group, which was extremely chaotic and they said a group of older kids weren't nice to the younger ones. Like everyone else, one of my girls is very mature for her age :) and is fine in new situations, she just didn't like being among the youngest in the group on this particular cruise (over the holiday break).

Best,

Mia

CCL does make exceptions and will immediately age up your children on a "trial basis" on day 1 if you ask nicely :D

They are one cruise line that will ;) And I have aged up a child who wanted to be with her brother and my older daughter when we cruised together on Sensation.

Our daughter was turning 6 a few days after our cruise ended, and they let us put her with the older group. But like a previous poster, the ship wasn't crowded and there weren't many kids on board.

I guess I was more curious what the actual rule is, given that they'll be turning 6 while on the cruise. My PVP said that they go by the age the child will be at the end of the cruise. I've heard many others say that they go by the age of the child at the beginning of the cruise. Not sure which is correct.

I guess I was more curious what the actual rule is, given that they'll be turning 6 while on the cruise. My PVP said that they go by the age the child will be at the end of the cruise. I've heard many others say that they go by the age of the child at the beginning of the cruise. Not sure which is correct.

Many pvp's have never been onboard a cruise ship. Speaking from experience. Carnival allows children to be aged up on Day 1.

With that being said - I watched a mom YELLING at the Camp Carnival staff on Elation that her 4 year old needed to be with her tween daughter. Guess who didn't get aged up? You have to be reasonable.

On RCI - my daughter moved back and forth between TWO age groups on Granduer all week pending on what activity they were doing. If I had talked to the cruise rep - what do you think they would have told me policy was?

But on NCL - no exceptions - your child is the age they are on the day they are and they move on their birthday.

That is my experience ;)

Have a great cruise

I bet that on the majority of cruises, the kids' staff will hear at least one parent insisting that "my child is mature for his age." And that a majority of those parents are wrong.

And think about the kids on the upper part of the range. Will 12-yr-old kids want to be hanging out with six-yr-olds?

I bet that on the majority of cruises' date=' the kids' staff will hear at least one parent insisting that "my child is mature for his age." And that a majority of those parents are wrong.

And think about the kids on the upper part of the range. Will 12-yr-old kids want to be hanging out with six-yr-olds?[/quote']

And I completely agree. I move my child BACK ;) When my 6 year old had just turned 6 on a cruise - she jumped between the 3-5 and the 6-8.

But of course - when we were on Carnival - my friend said that her daughter just HAD TO BE in the older group with her older brother or she would just die! {insert much drama here}

Frankly - I want my girls to be in the younger age groups for as long as humanly possible ;) They grow up too fast as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the little toddlers I wonder? My DD will be 21 months old at the time of the cruise and I know she would enjoy camp for a few hours, especially if her sisters are going as she wants to just like them! Has anybody hand any experience with this and Carnival aging up a toddler? I have heard yes and no, so just not sure.

What about the little toddlers I wonder? My DD will be 21 months old at the time of the cruise and I know she would enjoy camp for a few hours, especially if her sisters are going as she wants to just like them! Has anybody hand any experience with this and Carnival aging up a toddler? I have heard yes and no, so just not sure.

There are times for Under 2's to go there for babysitting. You can go both with parents and without. I used to have those times. If I find those times - I will post them.

Found it -

Under 2 Infant Care

On Port Days, care for infants begins from 15 minutes before the first tour until 12:00 noon (or from 1:00pm until 5:00pm for ships arriving in port after noon time).

Port Days are for drop off only. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child.

On Sea Days, Under 2 time is scheduled from 8:00am-10:00am. During this time, parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Staff Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child for this service or they can stay and use the Camp Carnival facilities at no charge. Please note that this time is designated for the use of Under 2’s and their parents only.

Each evening, Night Owls is available from 10:00pm-3:00am. Fees Apply: $6.75 per hour plus a 15% gratuity, per child. During this time, there will be children from other age groups (2-11 years) participating in Night Owls.

Potty-Trained

Children do not have to be potty-trained in order to take part of Night Owls. Parents must provide the Youth Staff with diapers and toiletries to be used for their child. However, if children are too big to be changed on the diapering table, they will not be changed by the Youth Staff. The parents will be contacted to come and change the child. After the child is changed, they may come back into the program.

Late Night Parties

In addition to the Night Owls program, on selected nights of the cruise we have different parties which offer FUN, MEMORIES AND GREAT VALUE. Advertising is mentioned in the Camp Carnival activity schedules, digital signage at Camp Carnival and Night Owls postcards (see below) are delivered to the child’s stateroom. All kids who participate in the parties will receive fun premium giveaways!

Archived