Dream skipped Roatan and Costa Maya

jillpra

I just got off the NCL star and watched as the captain tried to maneuver over to the dock in Costa Maya. I was sure we wouldn't be able to as the winds were high and the waves were really crashing into the dock. It took awhile but the captain managed it. We heard 2 other ships had passed on the fun of trying to dock ;)

We were on this cruise. It was very windy like others have reported however we had a great time regardless. I felt the staff did a great job finding things for everyone to do. I am disappointed we missed Roatan but we had a fun beach day in Nassau. It rained a little but we had fun. Definitely will be cruising again soon

I was on this cruise too. I was disappointed about missing Roatan... that was supposed to be a free beach day at the port. We had booked a Mayan Ruin tour in Costa Maya through Carnival, so we got a credit on our S&S account.

Someone asked if we got the port fees back - yes we did get $4.10/person. I guess Nassau must be a cheap port if we missed two, added Nassau, and still got something back.

Luckily, after all was done, we ended up getting a check from Carnival since we had a balance on our account.

We have this same cruise planned in April. Does anybody know if these high winds are a "seasonal" thing? Is it more or less likely to happen certain times of the year?

I did the western Caribbean itinerary in late January last year on the Legend and did not experience winds like we had this past week.

The tricky winds in the Western Caribbean aren't seasonal. It's just the luck of the draw. Roatan, Honduras is the hardest location to dock in the Western Caribbean area. Grand Cayman is also bypassed on occasion because when it's extremely windy it's dangerous for the tenders to operate in high seas. I've never missed a stop at Grand Cayman but missed Roatan, Belize, and Costa Maya in August 2012 on the Carnival Dream's Western Caribbean cruise due to Hurricane Ernesto. On that trip we were able to stop at Cozumel but were then diverted to Progresso, Mexico and then traveled to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas. Carnival should have scrapped the entire Western Carribean voyage that week and made us go to Grand Turk, St Thomas, and St Martin instead of going all over the place. It was still better than staying home.

I was on this sailing as well. My 3rd failed attempt at Roatan. Last year, I sailed on the Legend, there was a Cat 2 hurricane, they sailed us right down to meet it. Missed Roatan and Gr Cayman, made it to Cozumel, all beach/water excursions canceled, had to leave by 3, but had to wait for the Mexican gov to release the body of a lady that rented a moped and ran into a pole, sad..left after 6, people were sick all over. Belize same story, excursions were canceled (water ones). It was terrible, we got to sit at sea for 2 days b4 Progresso, a port with brown water and tires on the beach. It was not fun.

A few yrs ago, a hurricane was brewing, the Glory was re routed to the Eastern b4 we left port. Carnival should have done this with the Legend, it was horrible.

Nassau is one of my least favorite ports, but the locals did not grab and or were not pushy that I noticed this time.:confused: We went to Blue Lagoon Island again, $76, for the boat ride only. It did rain, takes away from the 2 hr on the island. Cant be mad at nature, it happens, but I sure wish the Dream could have gone somewhere like Jamaica, where it would have been warmer.

I have sworn off of hurricane season sailing, now its the wind, roll the dice..think I will give up on Western, go back to Eastern, and All Inclusive in Mexico..

It was windy, I sure didnt know it was 68 mph! whew.

Cindy

We also were on this trip. We were on our balcony so had figured out it wasn't going to happen. I shouldn't have been surprised but there was grumbles about missing the last 2 ports. At least we did get nassau. Not my favorite but at least we got another port. Thursday night wasvery bouncy. Idon't usually have sea sickness but my inner ear and tummy were not happy campers friday morning. Carnival did thebest they could given the windy conditions. Deck 5 was closed for most of the trip but hello high winds = dangerous conditions. We were on deck 7 and our balocny deck stayed wet all week. The door was wet a lot as well.

I was on this ship as well and those winds were crazy! 98 kph! We were playing checkers on deck 5 and got kicked off. Kids were upset about missing Roatan, they had school supplies for a local school to give. We did the aquarium at Atlantis in Nassau and was very happy, so we made the best out of the situation.

We just got off the Glory yesterday. It was windy most of the week. We missed Costa Maya on Wednesday the 9th. We were refunded $11.44 per person for port fees. I thought for sure we were going to miss Roatan on Thursday too but after a few attempts the captain backed us in. It was fascinating to watch him navigate this huge ship through such a small channel. We missed Roatan two years ago when we were on the Dream so were very happy we didn't miss again.

Archived