Restaurant in Barcelona?

The friends that we met on our roll call would like to get together for tapas or dinner in Barcelona the night before we sail. Any suggestions for a restaurant that is close to the Atrium Palace and the Hotel Continental Palacete?

We ate at El Mussol (a short distance from the Hotel Continental Palacete) and had a delicious meal. The staff at the Hotel Continental Palacete recommended it, and gave us directions to get there (very easy.)

Thay had all sorts of tapas and other things as well. I highly recommend their sangria!:)

Lisa

We stayed at the Continental Palacete last August and here's my 2 cents:

For Tapas - There is a great little Tapas restaurant/bar just down the street from the hotel. Walk out the dor and head straight down toward the Ramblas and its right on the first or second corner. My rules of thumb in a Tapas bar, if you've never heard of it...Get it, and if it looks disgusting...get it.

For a typical Barcelona meal - In the Barri Gotic, there is a famous restaurant called Can Culleretes located 2 blocks in from the Ramblas on Quintana. Just follow the crowd and be prepared to wait in line. The place is old (perhaps the oldest in Barcelona) with tons of pictures of Spanish Celebs (none of whom I recognized) on the walls. Please don't order the steak. The couple from Holland next to us did and it looked positively disgusting. Stick with the vegtables and seafood. They were out of this world. Dinner for the two of us cost $70, but we generally over order and get a decent bottle of Ribera del Duero

Upscale Tapas - Head out of the hotel and walk one block north to the Passig de Gracia, then take a left for a block or two. You'll find Tenorio. It may be more to your liking if you plan on dining with friends for either Tapas or a set meal. The price was comparable to Can Culleretes.

I've seen Attic, on the Ramblas talked about in glowing terms on some web forums. We ate there and IMHO it has two thing going for it; 1) its open late, we got there well after midnight and 2) its got a funky decor. The food was the most uninspiring we had in our two weeks in Spain. Again JMHO.

Upscale Tapas - Head out of the hotel and walk one block north to the Passig de Gracia, then take a left for a block or two. You'll find Tenorio. It may be more to your liking if you plan on dining with friends for either Tapas or a set meal. The price was comparable to Can Culleretes.

I'm part of that group that plans on meeting for tapas. There will be quite a few of us.... don't know how many but certainly over a dozen. As our roll call group grows there should be more. Is tapas restaurant the right place where people can come and go, and we don't have to wait for the whole group to be together to place our order?Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm part of that group that plans on meeting for tapas. There will be quite a few of us.... don't know how many but certainly over a dozen. As our roll call group grows there should be more. Is tapas restaurant the right place where people can come and go, and we don't have to wait for the whole group to be together to place our order?Thanks for your suggestions.

Tenorio is a more upscale restaurant which might be hard to get a whole slew of people into without a reservation. But if you're looking to a more casual pace I'd say that the Tapas bar might be a better bet. The beauty of the bar is that its a moving environment where people will order the Tapas while standing around. The tapas themselves are small plates so it might work for you.

That sounds like what I have in mind, thanks for the clarification.

Is the "Tapas bar" part of Tenorio? Or do you mean just any tapas bar?

Tenorio is what we will consider a restaurant that has a Tapas menu. The tapas "bar" is a bar with a HUGE tapas menu. The one that is a block or two down the street from the Palacete is particularly good.

We had a fantastic dinner at La Fonda years ago. We always recommend friends to go there, and they have had the same positive experience (as recently as 5 months ago). I believe it is near La Ramblas area. But here, I found their info thru a search on google. P.S. There is a line up if you go after it opens (which is 8:30 pm for dinner). Enjoy!

La Fonda

Carrer Escudellers 10

Tel: (93) 301 7515.

Archived