CB questions-bedding+what to do/late flight on debarkat

Larrydano

Not that I am counting but it is 51 days until the four of us cruise March 2nd 2013 on the Caribbean Princess to the southern Caribbean tour of Princess Cay, Aruba and, Curacao. Sharon and I will be flying into Orlando to visit our Florida dwelling travel mates earlier that week and making our way down to Port Everglades for the Saturday morning embarkation.

We will be in staterooms C304 and C306 Caribe mid to forward port side. What is the latest information in regards to the bedding in those staterooms? Has Caribe decks had the bedding changed with new pillow top mattresses, or do they still have the oft mentioned old/hard mattresses? I am just wondering if we will have to go the eggcrate route as we have done on previous Princess cruises. I have been told by my TA that the stateroom steward will, if asked, open the balcony dividers between the 2 staterooms. Has anyone had any issues having that done?

I’ve done my homework and have been able to book Bully for a 4 hour in Aruba and we have decided to go with the East side Irie tour in Curacao.

Sadly to say that we will have to debark on March 9th 2013 and eventually make our way to the Fort Lauderdale airport for a GASP!!! 7:30 PM flight (late but it is a nonstop flight and one third of noon time departures) to COLD!!!New Hampshire.

Since we drove in from the Orlando area with our Florida dwelling travel mates and will have their car we would like suggestions on how to spend additional time with our friends and kill 4 to 6 hours so that the 2 of us flying back to the Northeast won’t be sitting in a crowded airport for 8-10 hours. Spending 3-4 hours in the airport will be bad enough!!!

Any ideas and/or comments would be greatly appreciated,

Larry, Sharon, Bob, and Trudy

One thing to do is depending on your airline, do EZ Check. For $20/pp plus airline baggage fees, Princess checks you in, prints your boarding pass and luggage tags. You put your bag out the night before disembarkation and you won't see it until you arrive in MHT. (I assume you're flying into Manchester.)

I've done the airboat ride at the Everglades Holiday Park that was a hoot. It's very easy to get to: just go to Griffin Road next to the airport and head west. The road ends right at the entrance to the park. You can't get lost. http://evergladesholidaypark.com/

You can go to the beach and perhaps have lunch on the water at a place like the Bimini Boatyard, next to the Renaissance hotel near the cruise port.

Spend your time at the Sawgrass: http://www.simon.com/mall/sawgrass-mills or doing a fun Everglades tour: http://www.evergladesholidaypark.com/ We had a lot of fun doing that! :)

I personally watched mattresses being off-loaded in LeHavre, France last May and at that time, they were doing Deck 8. With doing the entire season with that same route, I would think they were able to get all of the mattresses changed out by the end of the season. Mine on Deck 12 needed to be changed out like crazy. I have never seen so many lumps in a bed before! :eek:

Getting your cabin steward to open your balcony divider is easy. Just ask him/her on the first day. They need to get a key to do it and will usually remember by the first night, but give him/her until the next morning to get it done since the first day is so hectic.

Have a great cruise!

One thing to do is depending on your airline, do EZ Check.

We are interested in doing this as well do to a late flight out of FLL. Does anyone know if Princess does this for American Airlines? Tried searching forums but the search tool is having issues.

Hi Larry, we are on this cruise also, Caribe 428. Also wondering about the beds.

DB & SIL are in the cabin next to us as always and never an issue getting the balcony door unlocked. Sometimes it takes till evening but they will do it. I am sure we will have a great cruise!:D

I was on Plaza deck in November, in an inside cabin and my mattress was brand new as of the week before. It was OK. If I were driving to the port, I'd probably bring an egg crate with me if it was going to make me more comfortable.

Have a great cruise!

Maureen

We were on the Carrib Princess Dec. 8 sailing with adjoing Carib deck balconies by the rear elevators. The beds are fairly new & were adequate. Having a very expensive plush mattress at home it isn`t fair to make a comparison. On request the steward opened the divider for us, the problem with this is that we had a few days of rough weather & the door was banging open & close during the night. We are also sailing with you on 3/02 on Carib deck in 722, our daughter could not get an adjoing cabin but is only one away.

Archived