"Pharaohs The Promised Land" spirit

HI All. Im new on here. Just wondered if anyone else is going on this cruise in Oct(23rd)

Or have you been on it recently and can give me any tips.

A long time away, i know, but still looking forward to it.

All replies will be muclly appreciated.

HI All. Im new on here. Just wondered if anyone else is going on this cruise in Oct(23rd)

Or have you been on it recently and can give me any tips.

A long time away, i know, but still looking forward to it.

All replies will be muclly appreciated.

Hello shazzy - and welcome to Thomson and the world of cruising. :)

We've been to some of the ports on your itinerary but i'm sure there will be more advice/ideas forthcoming.

Alanya is somewhere we've not been to but I think I remember reading that it's a lovely port to visit and presumably no need to do an excursion here.

Alexandria - it's probably best to do an excursion here. There's not a lot in the immediate vicinity of the port - no real infrastructure for tourism.

We did the Alexandria Library visit and when we were on the way my DH and I began to wonder what we'd let ourselves in for! I have read that some people didn't enjoy the visit but we thought it was extremely interesting and could have spent quite a lot longer looking around. We had a guided tour for about 30 minutes - it's a new building, state of the art and guide was superb making it a fascinating tour. We then had some free time which included time to look around outside. What a fabulous building - so different and impressive. Give yourself at least 15 minutes to wander around outside if you do this trip too. Then we went to the Roman theatre, an excavated site which was also very interesting and finished off with a visit to the waterfront where the original Pharos Lighthouse had been located - not there now although there is some kind of fortress and a few street traders and it's interesting to be in and amongst the culture and people. We also had the opportunity to see a fair bit of the city from the coach as we drove between these sites. So despite our original reservations it proved to be a good trip (at least we thought so).

From Port Said you get the chance to visit Cairo which is an experience in itself! It's a long day and quite a long drive to get there but having gone to that part of the world, it would be a shame not to see some of the iconic sites. We did the Pyramids with Memphis and Sakkara trip which was excellent. Again, it's really a matter of doing the thomson trip here as getting there yourselves isn't really possible or advisable.

We were supposed to go to Ashdod then Haifa but for some reason we did two days in Haifa but I guess the trips offered will be very similar. Going to Jerusalem is a highlight of this itinerary and I'd recommend it - again a long day but so worthwhile. Other posters will no doubt be able to tell you about some of the other trips to the Dead Sea and Nazareth for example but I haven't done those - but would certainly like to sometime.

There is lots of advice on here so don't be afraid to ask - and planning is so much fun. Do your research, Google the places you're going to visit and the places the excursions go to - it will give you an idea what's there and what you'd like to see.

Have a great trip. :)

hi shazzy,

i am also going on this cruise and am really looking forward to it,as i have been on the celebration last year on the red sea magic cruise.

Cairo is a long day but worthwhile just prepare yourself for the local traders,an experience in itself lol.

We'll be the hillbillies sitting in high spirits every night (myself my mam my son and our friend ) so feel free to pull up a chair if your brave lol

esther xxx

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys

Esther, i do apologise, only just seen you had replied to my thread.

How old is your son? Mine will be 15, so worried he will be bored.My daughter will be 17, she has special needs, but she is happy just to sit there with us.

Have you gone for the a/inc package on drings?. We have as was only 200 for the 4 of us...Still such a long way away.lol

Been to egypt before, yes they do hassle you. but i think you get used to it. as you say a experience.

Kruz thanks for all the details. Much appreciated.

Hi Shazzy,

My son is 13 going on 80 lol he's not big on playing with other kids on hols he prefers grown ups. Last year we hardly seen the kids on the ship so there's a lot to do for them if they want to join in,Kyle my son likes to sit with the grown ups and gossip lol. We have gone a/i on drinks too it was free when we booked so a bonus there.

really looking forward to it now hope the time goes fast.

esther xx

Haha, Both my kids are like that. But i am hoping they find friends and join the teens clubs.

Are you doing any excurstions, They are very expensive when you have 4 to pay for, i think we will do the pyramids, but that will be it. as that about £90pp. My hubby would like to do jerusalam, but i dont think i can handle 2 12/13 hour day trips. lol.

I much prefere to be sitting round the pool, with a cocktail haha.

I am also staying in cyprus for 3 days after the cruise, which i think will be a nice touch to the end of the holiday. xx

We did the pyramids last year so not going this time, my mam has always wanted to go to jerusalam so we are doing that trip and thought we'd do the half day at alanya and alexandria too. last year we did luxor and cairo and it was tiring but worth it.

We wanted to do a stay before but not able to with school hols as my son will be out of school 2 times this year and not going to push my luck lol.

esther xx

• 6 months later...

Archived