Shore excursions in South America

wailea4me

We are taking a South American cruise with Oceania in March with several stops in Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. Most of the cruise sponsored shore excursions are basic city tours. When we have taken Caribbean cruises there were always individuals selling taxi/tours of the area when we got off the ship in each port. Is this also true in South American? Will there be private vendors selling city tours in each port and are they safe? The cruiselines tours are $100+ in each city and we're looking for a cheaper alternative.

We are taking a South American cruise with Oceania in March with several stops in Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. Most of the cruise sponsored shore excursions are basic city tours. When we have taken Caribbean cruises there were always individuals selling taxi/tours of the area when we got off the ship in each port. Is this also true in South American? Will there be private vendors selling city tours in each port and are they safe? The cruiselines tours are $100+ in each city and we're looking for a cheaper alternative.

We did a T/A out of Buenos Aires two years ago on Oceania. I can't speak to the taxi tours. Instead, we made arrangements in advance with local guides who were recommended on CC and Trip Adviser. Small group private tours are not only much cheaper than ship's tours, they are more flexible and you don't have to board a big bus. If that interests you, I would post on your Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732847

Enjoy your cruise.

Marilyn

Most of the Brazilian ports (for this cruise, they seem to be Porto Belo, Santos, Parati, Ilha Grande, Buzios, Rio) are really beach destinations, so there is no real "basic city tour". In Parati, you can walk around to see the colonial architecture on your own, and motorized schooner trips to beaches/islands are possible to arrange on arrival, but there are local buses and taxis to the beach at Trindade too. Ilha Grande is rural and many people enjoy hiking to some of the more far-flung beaches; there are no vehicles. Buzios is fun to stroll on your own and maybe have a drink on the closest beach. In Rio, it is possible to get to the sights by taxi, fairly cheaply. Santos is a beach destination, but if you want to see a bit of Sao Paulo, traffic is bad and the ship's excursion would guarantee you'll make it back in time to embark.

Enjoy.

Sounds like we're on the Oceania cruise right before you. We sail Regatta Rio to BA 2/22 - 3/6. Last year we sailed Celebrity Infinity around the Horn from BA to Valparaiso.

In BA, we had a private tour with a young American ex-pat from Maryland, Madi Lang. She is extremely knowledgeable, speaks fluent Spanish, and loves her adopted home. I highly recommend contacting her if you want to arrange something in BA. She arranged all our ground transportation, transfers from international to domestic airport for our day at Iguazu Falls, transfer from domestic airport to BA hotel and then to the cruise ship pier. Her website is http://baculturalconcierge.com/

When she picked us up for our tour she asked us what we wanted to see. We asked her what she thought we should see. We saw the Recoleta cemetery but not Evita's grave, the 3 of us agreed that it was too touristy and that we'd enjoy the architecture of other areas of the cemetery without the crowds. It was all gorgeous! I did wish that we had a flashlight so that we could have illuminated the interiors of some of the structures as some of them were quite deep with coffin upon coffin climbing the walls. Already have a flashlight on my packing list.

We had a fabulous fish lunch at the Fishermen's Club (or somesuch name) that Madi recommended. It is out overlooking the Rio de la Plata. Nice dining room with white linens and perfectly wonderful food.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a wonderful tour with one of Edgardo Calaio's group of tour guides December 28, 2012 in Ushuaia Argentina.

We were a group of 14 from the Star Princess. Our guide had a well prepared speech. He passed around items/pictures during the bus ride. The small bus was very comfortable with an aisle down the middle of the bus for easy ingress and egress. Any walking we did I would rate as easy. The National Park is a must to see. Even though we were there on a rainy day it is a beautiful park.

I would definitely recommend Edgar guides. You can contact him via his email edgardocalaio@gmail.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Just enjoyed a wonderful day touring Buenos Aires with Laura from Cultura Cercana. She is a delight, a wealth of knowledge, great English, easily adaptable to any requests, & filled with wonderful suggestions. Very tasty lunch of empanadas frequented by locals. I think all would be pleased. Frequent & easy communication with Bruno to set up online. Also arranged transfer from airport to hotel with them. Driver/guide, Fabian prompt & friendly. http://Www.culturacercana.com

DH and I were in Montevideo last month on the Azamara Quest. I don't remember seeing any tour vendors at the dock but there were some taxis available. We had arranged a tour with Liz Cowley and we can highly recommend her. Liz is English but has been living in Uruguay for many years with her husband who is a cruise ship lecturer on South America history. This lady knew her stuff and provided us with a good understanding of Uruguay and SA history. We discussed our interests by email and she arranged a very good tour which included a car and driver for a reasonable price.

If you wish to contact her, her email is liz at real english tours dot com

Archived