LaRochelle

S.O.C.I.O.C.A.T.s

Our Fall TA will be stopping at LaRochelle. Any suggestions on what to see and do while there? Any private tours that can be recommended?

Thanks

Paul

prfssrpah@aol.com

We would rent a car and probably drive over to Cognac. Bordeaux, and its associated wine region is also within driving range.

Hank

La Rochelle was our favorite port on our Atlantic cruise in July. We just took a shuttle into town and walked around there. The port area is really nice and there are some historic towers from where you have a fantastic view over the city and the ord port.

There was were als lots of good restaurants and great shopping. The official La Rochelle Tourism site can give you some more ideas and some picture to look at: http://www.holidays-la-rochelle.co.uk/

The cruise terminal is in a large industrial port complex, so you'll have to take the shuttle to get away from it. It's not allowed to walk around there on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in La Rochelle in September on the Marina. We took a private tour to Cognac and we were very impressed with the tour. We went to Hennessey, Remy Martin and Courvoisier. We (6 of us all form the Marina)spent 2 hours at Remy Martin where we had a very informative tour and had yummy gourmet appetizers with the tasting. We learned variations on how to serve Cognac making it more like a cocktail.It was quite unique and we know it was far superior to the ship's bus tour which only went to Hennessey. They picked us up at the ship so we did not have to take the shuttle into the town. We highly recommend this tour offered by ex-pat Brits. See http://www.cognacwinetours.com

• 3 weeks later...

We, like many others on the Celebrity Infinity's sailing from Harwich on Oct. 12 have had a port change and now get to spend 2 days in La Rochelle. Sooooooooooo ... what do we do? Unless you're staying overnight in Bordeaux ... and like, yeah, I want to spend that kind of money due to a port change after I booked the cruise ... what ideas do you have for us? We're into wine, but don't need to spend a bazillion to stay at some Chateau overnight due to a port change ... hey, I'm not the only one concerned about the change from Le Harve to La Rochelle. Any ideas ... especially for those of us who are doing the BTB on the TA from Harwich to Miami. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!

We, like many others on the Celebrity Infinity's sailing from Harwich on Oct. 12 have had a port change and now get to spend 2 days in La Rochelle. Sooooooooooo ... what do we do? Unless you're staying overnight in Bordeaux ... and like, yeah, I want to spend that kind of money due to a port change after I booked the cruise ... what ideas do you have for us? We're into wine, but don't need to spend a bazillion to stay at some Chateau overnight due to a port change ... hey, I'm not the only one concerned about the change from Le Harve to La Rochelle. Any ideas ... especially for those of us who are doing the BTB on the TA from Harwich to Miami. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!

Our solution would be very simple. We would rent a car for 2 days! And you might want to look into doing an overnight somewhere in Bordeaux. Since your cruise is during the shoulder season you might get a pretty good deal and have an opportunity to enjoy an excellent French dinner off the ship.

Hank

• 4 months later...

Infinity still docks at Le Havre. La Rochelle is in place of Le Verdon which was a container port in the middle of nowhere!

Archived