Car Rental POM

crackycruiser

Hi, I can't seem to find this answer on the search engine. After my cruise I need to rent a car. What is the best way to do this. Is there a certain car rental that has a shuttle to a downtown location or is it easier to go to the airport. I am not flying out of the Miami airport but staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days so I am not in any hurry. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

May I suggest you post your question on the Florida Departures board, where you are likely to get more information. (And if the search feature comes back on, I know there is info on threads there about POM car rentals.) (And since your question isn't NCL-specific, don't be surprised if this thread gets moved to that board.)

There's a Hertz location near the POM with a free shuttle to the port. It's good that you say you are not in a hurry, because in my one experience there last April I found them to be the worst car rental facility I've ever encountered. All we were doing was dropping off a car before heading to our ship, and it took about 40 minutes. They had inadequate technology and insufficient staff.

I know on the Florida board someone else reported a better experience there, so perhaps it is just a matter of timing and good luck. They were certainly doing a lively rental business.

Hi, I can't seem to find this answer on the search engine. After my cruise I need to rent a car. What is the best way to do this. Is there a certain car rental that has a shuttle to a downtown location or is it easier to go to the airport. I am not flying out of the Miami airport but staying in Ft. Lauderdale for a few days so I am not in any hurry. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We have successfully (and easily) rented cars pre- and post-cruise from Miami. All you need to do is make a reservation for pickup at Miami International Airport with the larger firms, such as Hertz, National, and Alamo.

Then, after you disembark, you'll see the shuttle buses circling the port. Flag one down, and hop on. The service is free. I'll warn you that it cane sometimes take some time. But it's worth it.

It's important that you have a reservation. We'll see shuttle drivers strictly enforce that rule.

On the reverse (for a later cruise, perhaps?), we pick-up a car wherever, drive around, and drop it at Miami International Airport on embarkation day. The rental bus that whisks us to the port. It's easy.

For us, this is a huge money saver. Instead of driving our car to the port and paying $20 per day for parking, we rent cars one-way, each way. That usually runs us about $80-- saving us $60 on a 7-night and $140 on a our recent 11-night.

Have fun!

If you go to the Port of Miami website they have a list of all the car rental companies authorized to use the port. Some have a facility near the port, other near the airport. Both are a short shuttle ride away. At one time I was a manager for one of the major companies at MIA and will only make two suggestions to live by on this. First compare the rates. Next do not book from a company company you are not 100% familiar with. Additional fees that may be hidden until you return can be outrageous. My car is reserved through one of the major chains, and yes it is not cheap. But way more convenient, and safe.

I had a similar question posted about transportation, and someone suggested Dollar rental company. They have a shuttle service right at the POM. We need to get from there to Palm Beach AP after our cruise; I contacted them and was able to arrange a rental that I could leave right at PBI.

~Joanne

Archived