iMessage on the Ship

kelkel2

Has anyone had any experience with iMessaging from your iPad or iPhone on the ship? I am going to buy a wireless package, probably the smallest package because I don't really plan on being on the web much, just to check in at home. Is it an effective way of communicating? My iPad is wifi only so I don't have to worry about data charges or anything like that. Does it take long for messages to go through or to be received? We will be on the Liberty so no high speed internet :(

Has anyone had any experience with iMessaging from your iPad or iPhone on the ship? I am going to buy a wireless package, probably the smallest package because I don't really plan on being on the web much, just to check in at home. Is it an effective way of communicating? My iPad is wifi only so I don't have to worry about data charges or anything like that. Does it take long for messages to go through or to be received? We will be on the Liberty so no high speed internet :(

Keep in mind that WiFi on board isn't high-speed (ADSL) like home. It's faster then the dial-up. Don't expect Imessage , Facetime or Skype to work very well on-board. If expect to use video it won't be very good.

Keep in mind that WiFi on board isn't high-speed (ADSL) like home. It's faster then the dial-up. Don't expect Imessage , Facetime or Skype to work very well on-board. If expect to use video it won't be very good.

On the Magic in January I used my iPad to check and send email a few times, and my GOD it took forever just to get an email to go through. I will not bother with buying internet on the ship again, and just stick with checking mail in port.

thanks guys! I know there's some places in our ports that offer free wifi so maybe I will just stick with that. I kinda hoped iMessage would be faster since it's not loading any images. It's really just text messaging through the internet verses a cell phone connection. I won't be doing video or anything like that.

On the Magic in January I used my iPad to check and send email a few times, and my GOD it took forever just to get an email to go through. I will not bother with buying internet on the ship again, and just stick with checking mail in port.

Did you use the high speed or the basic internet on the ship?

It would not be effective since you are charged for WiFi by the minute. So you are not going to be on WiFi all the time to get messages you will only be able to send and receive messages when you log on. And since iMessages get sent to a server they would not be direct like a text message. It would be no different than email.

We were on the Magic in December and purchased the top end package. We were told that it was unlimited wifi and was only good in the common areas of the ship. We were also told that we were limited to one device at a time. As it turned out, my wife and I used our iPhones at the same time in our cabin without any trouble. We even facetimed with our daughter (who wasn't on the cruise) and it worked great. I was very pleasantly surprised.

keep in mind I believe that wireless packages have gone to by the minute on all boats now. The test period is over and it looks to have failed. This was on Dream but I assume it will be all Boats. On the Breeze we had unltd high speed which was more like limited speed and unbearable. Had an iPad and told those work slower than other forms of devices for some reason...

I just got off the Breeze and the Unlimited Package was no longer available. I was able to find free wifi in all of the ports except for La Romana. Which ports are you going to?

We will be in Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I know where to find wifi in Cozumel and Grand Cayman but not the other two. Honestly I'm beginning to think it would be cheaper to flip my phone on in port and text someone to check in than it would be to buy the wifi package. Being the cheapest pkg. is $30 I know my text messages wouldn't cost me $30!!!

Did you use the high speed or the basic internet on the ship?

This was before the high speed was implemented - I actually wasn't aware of the upgrades, so I supposed you should disregard my experience - sorry about that! :-)

We will be in Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I know where to find wifi in Cozumel and Grand Cayman but not the other two. Honestly I'm beginning to think it would be cheaper to flip my phone on in port and text someone to check in than it would be to buy the wifi package. Being the cheapest pkg. is $30 I know my text messages wouldn't cost me $30!!!

Belize has a nice internet cafe in the terminal where the tenders drop you off. They have computers to use, but if you bring your own device it is considerably less expensive. So you're all set for checking email, etc in port should you choose that method. :-)

Archived