Just booked the Dream

We have cruised with Thomson on the Destiny and the Spirit in the Western Med, Eastern Med, Canaries and the Baltic. We are booked on the Majesty to cruise the Canaries in April and we are binging a my wife's sister and neice over from America next year just to go on the Majesty on the Adriatic and Italian Treasures cruise.

We have never been on the Dream and never been to the Carribean. I am told it is a different type of cruising to the Med, less history but more relaxation. We booked for March 2014 for a 2 week cruise as we thought it wasn't worth going all that way for just 1 week plus we get a long day in Barbados.

We know Thomson Cruises pretty well now and expect the Dream to be like the other Thomson ships but slightly better. We don't have much idea what to expect from the ports except clear seas, white sand and palm trees. Any tips on how to get the best out of the Carribean would be much appreciated.

We have cruised with Thomson on the Destiny and the Spirit in the Western Med, Eastern Med, Canaries and the Baltic. We are booked on the Majesty to cruise the Canaries in April and we are binging a my wife's sister and neice over from America next year just to go on the Majesty on the Adriatic and Italian Treasures cruise.

We have never been on the Dream and never been to the Carribean. I am told it is a different type of cruising to the Med, less history but more relaxation. We booked for March 2014 for a 2 week cruise as we thought it wasn't worth going all that way for just 1 week plus we get a long day in Barbados.

We know Thomson Cruises pretty well now and expect the Dream to be like the other Thomson ships but slightly better. We don't have much idea what to expect from the ports except clear seas, white sand and palm trees. Any tips on how to get the best out of the Carribean would be much appreciated.

Hi Red Scorpion

We have booked the Dream for the Carribean for December 2013 over the new year period, we have never cruised with Thomson before and we are a little apprehensive. We usually go with Fred Olsen but as they aren't flying we decided to try Thomson. We usually do a lot of research on our ports before we go and book some trips directly. You will find some helpful advice on this forum just go to ports of call. We only do one or two of the ships excursions and stick mainly to independent tours so far we have had a great time. Enjoy your planning.

If you type in your itineraries (separately - do two searches) into the 'Search this Forum' tab top right of the table you will get some search results throwing up threads which will have a lot of info on the ports of call and the DiY and Thomson excursions.

Generally speaking it's easy to do the islands independently but try a search then you can get a feel of what you'd like to do and ask any more speciifc questions which arise. Get back if you can't find any useful threads - I'll have a go for you.

Hi Red Scorpion

We have booked the Dream for the Carribean for December 2013 over the new year period, we have never cruised with Thomson before and we are a little apprehensive. We usually go with Fred Olsen but as they aren't flying we decided to try Thomson. We usually do a lot of research on our ports before we go and book some trips directly. You will find some helpful advice on this forum just go to ports of call. We only do one or two of the ships excursions and stick mainly to independent tours so far we have had a great time. Enjoy your planning.

Hi Dan. I thought I knew your name. We love Fred Olsen and Thomson too. You will find that people on Thomson are just as friendly as Fred. We did the Caribbean on the Braemar in 2012 and on the Dream in 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed both. I think Fred made a mistake taking the Braemar out of the Caribbean, but I see they have changed from cruises out of Britain and have changed to Tenerife departures. As you can see we are going next year on the Braemar to the Canaries.

I think Thomson and Fred are quite similar, not too formal and not too informal. I think the entertainment is quite similar on both, although I think Thomson do edge it. They do some spectacular West End shows on the Dream and have a fabulous theatre. The food is good on both and Thomsons do food all day unlike Fred. The cabins on the Dream are a very good size - bigger than the Braemar. The trips are reasonably priced on both.

I love the Braemar, as most on here know, but I'd fully recommend the Dream (especially now they have teamaking facilties :D:D)

I'm sure you will have a great time on the Dream :)

It is really easy to do-it-yourself. There are lots of taxis on the dockside and quite often there are minibuses which take 8-10 people and they just fill it up and go. You usually pay at the end of the trip. We did a great ship's trip in St Vincents and Grenada which were both good, but I wouldn't recommend the one in St Maarten.

personally, i feel 1 week is not worth the long flight, you are just getting into island time then you have to fly home, 2 weeks is just about right imo

very easy to do your trips independently in caribbean, always plenty of taxis at the port gates......cant go wrong with 'taxi to the beach' and often its just a short walk anyway

there are differences between the islands but usually nice towns/waterfronts to explore, friendly locals, nice bars, gardens, history, some good shopping something for everyone

any specific questions? fire away, someone will know, lots of tips on the ports of call boards on here too

hope thishelps

I dont know what your itinerary is but we have been to most of the islands and have only used the ship trip for St Kitts train trip. There are lots of taxis at the ports. There is a water taxi in Grenada to take you to Grand Anse beach which is worth a visit. We normally do a mix of beaches and culture. Read up on what you fancy doing and check reviews. Enjoy

Archived