Alaska on History Channel tonight

tetleytea

It looks like the History Channel is re-airing their big 2-hour presentation on Alaska tonight (Thurs June 2nd), at 7pm central/8 eastern. May want to check your provider in your area if you're interested.

I don't know, I'm wanting to see it, too. Since it's on the History Channel, it's probably going over the Tlingit/Inuit/etc. natives, Russian settlements, Seward's Folly, the Klondike Rush, oil, global warming, etc..

The blurb says, "Alaska: Big America. Vast distances, extreme weather and imposing landscapes shape the lives of those who come under Alaska's spell. "

It looks like the History Channel is re-airing their big 2-hour presentation on Alaska tonight (Thurs June 2nd), at 7pm central/8 eastern. May want to check your provider in your area if you're interested.

Thanks, Tetley. That reminder suits us to a "tea!" Just turned the TV on to our History Channel. Can't wait to see it. Travel Channel had Alaska the other week. They will repeat that again, I'm sure. Thanks so much. We go to AK in August on the Sapphire.

The building of the Alaska-Canadian Highway, the Japanese invasion of the Aleutians in WW2, the 1964 earthquake, the big Gold Rush (Skagway was in it!), building of the Alaska pipeline, U.S. purchase by Seward, the initial discovery of Alaska by Bering, bush pilots, and how a number of people mysteriously vanish in Alaska.

The cruise ships ought to buy the History Channel video and air it in their smaller theaters.

I thought it was so fascinating to see how the alaska oil pipeline was built from prudhoe bay down to valdez.

I never knew either of the Japanse invasion and control of some of the Aleutian Islands.

And I never knew that Alaska bush pilots had the 3rd most dangerous job in the US. I knew the job was dangerous, never knew it was that dangerous.

So if crab fisherman in the Bering Sea have the most dangerous job, I wonder what the 2nd most dangerous job is?

I didn't know that Japan invaded some of the Aleutian Islands until my wife's Grandfather told us that he was stationed there during WWII. It sounds like it was a interesting show. I'll have to see if they are going to replay it sometime soon.

and very informative, especially about building the pipeline and the Alaska highway. I never heard about the black americans who were brought in to build the Alaska highway, and how they were kept away from the towns.

Hope they repeat it, because I missed the first 30 minutes or so . . ..

Archived