A day in Marseille ...cheap please?

happy_travellers

Hi

We are going on a port intensive cruise in May 2013. We have chosen other ports to go all out and do wonderful (read expensive) private tours.

Please give us some ideas of what to do in Marseille, beaches ect on our own .

Thanks Karen

Does anyone have info for a DIY day in Marseille? Thanks Karen

I can't recommend using the bus #35 from the cruise port into town. We tried this, but the bus stop is a good 30 minutes walk from the cruise terminal. When we finally arrived at the stop, there was a huge crowd waiting there and busses did not even bother to stop any longer. So even if you want to do it on the cheap, it is worth to invest some more and use the shuttle from the cruise line.

Other than that, the vieux port area is nice and if you are there early enough, you might still get ticktets to the ferry to Chateaux d'Iff.

Am surprised many did not post ideas. You might consider just taking the regional bus or train up,to Aix en Provence for the day. Aix is a delightful city and you can stroll around town, perhaps stop for lunch on the Cours Mirabeau and just enjoy the atmosphere of this fabulous Provencial city.

Hank

Am surprised many did not post ideas. You might consider just taking the regional bus or train up,to Aix en Provence for the day. Aix is a delightful city and you can stroll around town, perhaps stop for lunch on the Cours Mirabeau and just enjoy the atmosphere of this fabulous Provencial city.

Hank

Thanks for all the info.

I did a little research on Aix and it looks lovely. It seems about an hour train ride and the schedule looks very frequent. I also have looked at walking around the Panier area of Marseille and then getting a boat ride to look at the Calanques, any thoughts?

Thanks Karen

Well, all I actually chose was a "stroll" in English, with a guide. Once they get someone lined up, they will be in contact so we can make an itinerary.

If that doesn't work out, I've been doing some snooping around on here, and the Chateau d'If would be really cool (and only around 4 euros per person) along with the Basilique de Notre Dame de la Garde. Then we'll wander around Canebiere.

All I know is I want french food, bakery, and wine :)

Archived