Anyone tried "Galveston.com: Cruise Parking" - $30 for 6 days

KorWarren

I'm trying to find inexpensive parking in Galveston... heading on a 6 night Disney Cruise in Feb. 2013. EZ Cruise parking is about $55, then I found "Discount Cruise Parking" on the Galveston.com; cruise parking website for $30 for 6 days. Too good to be true??????

Just be aware this is nowhere near the cruise ship terminal. It is right next to I-45 and Harborside Dr., about 5 miles from the cruise terminal. I don't know how many shuttles they have, but a round trip would probably be at least 25-30 minutes.

This may not be a big factor in your decision, just be aware...

• 3 weeks later...

I am a near native- it is not that far from Harbourside to the pier to be scared of the distance. The operative question is "their" execution. I think they could put us on the back of a sloth and get us there in time... so it is of little consequence as long as you get there a bit early. Our usual nearer parking is sold out- but they have ratty foundational underpinnings. (Galoshes if it sprinkles due to the potholes at Lighthouse) Note... be careful what you book in Hurricane Season. Would NOT book parking in Galveston proper as I have seen many vehicles submerged down there in Ike. Park in Texas City or above (North) if you have your own car in hurricane season- the towns are Clear Lake, Webster, Dickinson... find a hotel with free parking that won't tow your car if you stay a night. Get a cab from there to the terminal... really.

Although Galveston has some hotels that let you park for the week, you are still subject to the tidal forces, hail and winds that accompany hurricane season in the summer. Anytime from late November to May will be safe for parking down in town.

• 3 weeks later...

I used "Discount Cruise Parking" this month for my 6-night Disney Magic sailing. Since there were very few reviews on this place, I set my expectations low and decided to try them out given that their prepay rate was half the price of all the other parking places.

I arrived at 1:30pm, they greeted me at the entrance and checked my reservation. They showed me to my parking spot by having me follow their golf cart. I barely had put my car in park when they started pulling our luggage from the trunk and loading them into the waiting shuttle. Within a few minutes, we were at the port.

On disembarkation day, the waiting area for the shuttle back to the parking lot was easy to find and the shuttle was already there when we arrived. A quick drive back to the lot and we are unloaded with our luggage at the front of lot (as opposed to right to our car). The lot is small enough that it was easy enough to walk back to our car.

Possible disadvantages: DCP is a few miles away from the port, but they have shuttles and time wasn't an issue for us; Shuttles may be older, but they serve their purpose; Parking lot is small, but there was an available spot for my car; Tipping was a factor given the number of employees helping us (the person greeting us/showing us our parking spot, the lot guys loading our luggage onto the shuttles, the shuttle drivers, the attendants at the port, etc.) and the friendly reminder signs inside the shuttle - but service was friendly and efficient.

What it comes down to was that we wanted a place to park our car and a way to get to the port. DCP did just that. We may have lucked out in that we never had to wait for a shuttle (but that could also speak to the times we arrived - 1:30pm on embarkation day and 10:00am on debarkation day). And given their great advanced/prepay rate, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I am a near native- it is not that far from Harbourside to the pier to be scared of the distance. The operative question is "their" execution. I think they could put us on the back of a sloth and get us there in time... so it is of little consequence as long as you get there a bit early. Our usual nearer parking is sold out- but they have ratty foundational underpinnings. (Galoshes if it sprinkles due to the potholes at Lighthouse) Note... be careful what you book in Hurricane Season. Would NOT book parking in Galveston proper as I have seen many vehicles submerged down there in Ike. Park in Texas City or above (North) if you have your own car in hurricane season- the towns are Clear Lake, Webster, Dickinson... find a hotel with free parking that won't tow your car if you stay a night. Get a cab from there to the terminal... really.

Although Galveston has some hotels that let you park for the week, you are still subject to the tidal forces, hail and winds that accompany hurricane season in the summer. Anytime from late November to May will be safe for parking down in town.

Comments are rational

But a bit overkill.

If one is concerned about car

stay at

Galvez, HarborHouse or Tremont.

They park cars at parking garage at Galvez.

With multiple floors and garage is already

on highest

part of Island anyway.

Make plans

Enjoy cruise

Have insurance

I second the recommendation for DCP! We just got back Saturday from our 8-nighter on the Disney Magic, and I left my car with them. Everyone was so incredibly friendly, and it took maybe 5-7 minutes to get down Harborside to the cruise terminal and back again. It's just not that far.

When we got back, we waited less than 5 minutes for a shuttle back to the lot. And again, everyone we encountered was just super friendly and nice.

They have a covered area at the lot with chairs, they're right next to a big Exxon On the Run store, there are restrooms, and they are WAY less expensive than most of the other lots. All parking is uncovered, if that matters to anyone -- but my car is uncovered all day every day anyway at work. It is fenced and locked up after everyone has parked, and as previously mentioned is on higher ground than the lots right by the terminal.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, and will! :)

-gina-

Archived