Outerwear for October 18 Rome-Venice?

true45

Just perused another Oceania CC packing thread -- lots of good hints but curious about what kind of jacket I would need. Since we have lived in Florida almost 10 years, I use a 3/4 LL Bean heavy fleece or a wide-wale cordoroy as my winter coat. Would one of those be appropriate for bringing as outer jacket? I have lots of cardigans, travelers blazer, to layer -- I was thinking of buying a 3/4 raincoat but didn't want to incur the expense since I probably wouldn't be wearing it much down here. Winter clothes can be no jacket just as often.

I want to keep it to one small suitcase for me & one for DH and 1 carryon each -- I think I can do it for Europe. Pack lighter & lighter for cruises these days.

But our 1st European trip is still a challenge. We are staying 2 nights in Rome pre-cruise, then Rome - Venice with the amalfi coast & 2 Greek isles and Dubrovnik and then 2 nights Venice post-cruise.

Arrival is October 16 and then leaving Venice October 27. I looked up weather for those ports and they are mostly 55-70.

Thanks alot,

Linda

Hi, I have travelled to these areas many times and hope I can help. The weather in October can be very changeable, but hopefully you will be lucky. I have been to Rome in October and have not needed a jacket at all. Maybe in Venice it will be a little cooler, but I certainly don't think you will need a heavy fleece. Of course you may get some rain, so you could always pack one of those very light weight pack a way rain macs which fold into a tiny little bag and weigh next to nothing. Not exactly a fashion statement, but they are available in the UK in some interested colours and patterns. I think layers are the key. Hopefully when you get down to the Amalfi coast it will be brilliant sunshine. Enjoy. X.

Personally, I think layers are key.

1st layer, is a shirt, maybe a polo type if its warm in Rome.

2nd layer is a sweater, for day and evenings and for places that are cooler.

3rd is a "jacket", lightweight, maybe a softshell or rainjacket type.

I buy in multiples, so if it were me I would be packing neutral shirts, colored sweaters, cardigans or v necks.

You can mix and match, add and remove as needed.

Also, the site wunderground.com. Upper left blue tab says Local Weather. Third item down is History Data. You can search by city, and date to get an idea of what this years weather was for you ports. Not a guarantee, but a good resource for helping to figure out temps....

Thanks kimanjo & greenamber,

I think a lightweight jacket like the ones in the little pac is what I'll get to go with the other layers. What I had thought about is bulky. not very packable & I guess not the best choice.

Linda

We are on the same cruise on Riviera and have been in Italy and the Med a number of times in October. We also live in Florida.

We are spending a week in Italy pre cruise, first to Milan and the Lakes and then to the Ligurian Coast. Post cruise we will spend a few days in Venice.

We will both be packing a lightweight rain jacket - mine is a belted Mycra Pak mid thigh trench that packs to nothing and DH has a Cole Haan packable rain jacket that is light weight. We add some layering pieces in case of cooler weather.

We have experienced wide variations of weather in October, including temps in the 40s in Tuscany a few years ago, followed by weather in the high 70s later that same trip in Rome. Layers are the best option we have found.

DH packs slacks and shirts in microfiber, golf type fabric, like Nike DriFit. They layer well and pack easily. We pack light as we travel independently by train for the land portions of our Europe trips.

I pack microfiber and jersey, as well as knits. They travel well, wash and dry well, and are lightweight. I pack a pashmina and a couple of knit (not wool) cardigans that I can wear to dinner in case the AC is cold for me and also layer when needed.

Hope to see you aboard!

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a cruise late October/early November in 2011 and brought warm cloths and were hot...I had to buy several short sleeve polo shirts on the ship as long sleeve shirts were too hot. I suggest layers as others have with short sleeve shirts, a light sweatshirt or sweater and a light weight rain coat

kywhiskey & caviargal

Thank you for your suggestions. I will bring short & long sleeves & layer, layer, layer & something in case it is rainy.

Just off Celebrity Equinox -- wonderful cruise in spite of bad battle with the norovirus. We were lucky & didn't get sick. Caviargal, hope to meet you,

Linda

Archived