Question about fins

Susky

Hi, all. I'm about to start my first snorkeling adventure after years of dreaming about it. Rather than trust the rental stuff, I decided to go all-out and visit a local dive shop for my equipment. I paid quite a bit more for it all compared to a regular sporting goods store, but I think I'll be better off in the long run. :)

Anyway, one reason I decided to buy was the size of my feet (size 14 shoes). The shop didn't have full-foot fins that fit my feet, and he explained that the half-foot version (with the strap) was primarily designed to be work with a boot...and most of those types of fins had a rigid upper part.

After looking at a few models, I found a pretty flexible half-foot version, and it seems to fit me pretty well.

So now to my question. :rolleyes:

Should I be concerned about rubbing or chafing with these fins? If so, is there some trick to make it a little easier on my feet, like wearing socks or something?

You might try just getting some cheaper water shoes to wear with them. I have very narrow heels so my straps slip if I don't wear my boots. My husband was fine with just the water shoes while snorkeling.

Thanks. I have to cheap water shoes already, and I'll see if I can work 'em in there. I'm not really positive on that, as my feet are pretty tight in there as it is. :eek:

Hell...maybe my feet are big enough that I can do without the fins.... :o

but if you went all out and got good fins, why mess things up trying to save a buck now? Nothing will mess up your time in the water as much as fins that are tearing up your feet. Well, actually there are more things that will mess it up - but this is way up there.

I've never found this type of fin to fit right w/out boots. I've know a few who got away with beach shoes our even canvas tennies, but they had done so for a long time and their feet were 'broken it'. I find comfort in some 10 year old dive boots.....

My 2 cents

originally Certified in 1973..... my PADI Instructor's number was only 2 digits long....we used 2 hose reg's.... Sea Hunt 4 ever

Well, the problem isn't with the quality (or cost) of the boots/fins. It's a matter of finding ones that will even fit my feet at all.

I think my original question was about what alternative things I could use with the fins I bought. They're pretty snug just on my bare feet, even though they were the biggest I could get at that dive shop. I think I could fit some socks in there if it would help at all. Do you think that might be better than nothing?

The problem I found with fins on a cruise is carrying them around all day - they can be a pain. I have a complete set of snorkeling gear, but only take the mask and snorkle with me. If I am in a snorkeling group, there are usually fins I can borrow. If we are by ourselves, we do without. Having walked 4 miles down 7-mile beach in Grand Cayman with my fins in my backpack, I was so tired, I was ready to throw them away. Plus, they take up some much room in my suitcase. It's better to take your own mask and snorkel, but leave the fins at home.

Ray

An open fin without a boot will tear up the top of your foot:eek: You'll need something.

Take a look at these not as comfortable as a real boot but might keep the chafing down a bit. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_15/CategoryID_983/Context_980/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/FNSS.html

also http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_1/CategoryID_956/Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d24/AERFVF.html says to size 13

these go to size 14 but are not really that good for snorkeling http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_2/CategoryID_956/Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d24/ATMFF.html

Another alternative would be a pair of neoprene socks designed for warmth under winter boots like http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=74248

Have fun

Kent

We were at the SeaSpace Expo in Houston this last weekend and came across something that might be just what you need. They're called ScubaTube Socks and they are made out of spandex lycra like a dive skin. We bought a pair for my S/S because he was having chafing problems with his fins...they were too small to wear a bootie with. Info at the link below...

www.cococheznaynay.com

An open fin without a boot will tear up the top of your foot:eek: You'll need something.

Take a look at these not as comfortable as a real boot but might keep the chafing down a bit. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_15/CategoryID_983/Context_980/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/FNSS.html

also http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_1/CategoryID_956/Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d24/AERFVF.html says to size 13

these go to size 14 but are not really that good for snorkeling http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/ItemIndex_2/CategoryID_956/Context_954/Sort_SKU/DescSort_0/Filter_2%3d24/ATMFF.html

Another alternative would be a pair of neoprene socks designed for warmth under winter boots like http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=74248

Have fun

Kent

Thanks for all the links, Kent. Both of those sock-like things look interesting.

We were at the SeaSpace Expo in Houston this last weekend and came across something that might be just what you need. They're called ScubaTube Socks and they are made out of spandex lycra like a dive skin. We bought a pair for my S/S because he was having chafing problems with his fins...they were too small to wear a bootie with. Info at the link below...

www.cococheznaynay.com

That looks like the ticket. How well did the ScubaTube Socks work?

I wear open heel fins when I snorkel and dive, have never worn booties or socks with them, and have never had a problem with my feet. Perhaps I've been lucky, or simply have fins that fit me perfectly.....

Thanks for the insight, Hilary...that's good to hear.

BTW all: I finally got to give my stuff a test run in the pool yesterday. Everything looks good, but I noticed that my feet were a little prone to cramping. Is that highly unusual for a first-timer?

Foot cramping - not at all unusual. It happens to me all the time if I haven't been diving for a while. Think about it, you just don't use the muscles in your shin and top of foot that way every day. The other thing to look out for- are you curling your toes like you're trying to hold onto the fin with your toe? Its almost instinctive and will cramp up your foot every time.

Kent

That sounds about what I'm doing alright. I think I'll need to make a conscious effort to keep my feet relaxed and just try to use my legs. And get some work in the pool over the next few weeks to get those foot muscles strengthened. :)

susky - I also have the size 14 problem.. I also bought my gear at a local dive shop and they fixed me up with some fins from a company called force fin. while they are designed to be used with a boot, I have used them without and didn't experience any problems w/ chafing.. you should be able to get a pretty good read on whether you will have problems after a few trial runs in the pool.. enjoy!!

www.cococheznaynay.com

FWIW...I ordered some of these the other day, and they arrived today. Interesting product. They're pretty thin, and on my dry-fit test, they seemed to work just fine. I'll give them a run in the pool when it gets warm again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I might...but as I posted two weeks ago, I bought the ScubaTubeSocks. And I even tried them in the pool. They'll work nicely for me.

(I thought I'd posted an update on this...I wonder why it's not there any more... :confused: )

Cramping can be an issue. I am prone to calf cramps while diving. If this happens, just grab the end of your fin and pull it towards you to help relieve the cramp. I was cruising at about 90 feet off the Carmel, Ca coast and saw something out of the corner of my mask. I turned sharply to put the spotlight on it and whammo! major cramp. I quickly got my dive buddy to push the toe end of my fin in towards my chest. It took a minute or so, but finally released. At 90+ feet, that will get your attention in a hurry. I usually try to eat a banana or two before diving. They say the potassium will help. It seems to have help me. I don't tend to get them when I do.

As for boots, I would try to find a pair. If you local shop can't order them, then try searching the internet or ebay. There must be a pair out there just waiting for you. I'd hate to miss out on all the cruise fun due to blisters or other fin related issue. Plus, my wife would never forgive me if I couldn't dance with her on our vacation.

I usually try to eat a banana or two before diving. They say the potassium will help. It seems to have help me. I don't tend to get them when I do.

That does help. As an Atkins person, I can't eat bananas, but I can tell you that potassium supplements have saved me from a lot of cramping pain.

Plus, my wife would never forgive me if I couldn't dance with her on our vacation.

Shhhh...you'll spoil my plan! :D

Just an additional fyi on the booties though - if you are snorkeling from the shore, and the shore is rocky, its easier to already have something on your feet after removing your fins. Plus the rubber bottom is better at gripping than a pair of those socks, as cool as they are. :)

Archived