Anchorage - anything to do there for 1 day?

trident777

We'll have a car, but I'm liking the idea of the Segway tour! Our youngest was so bummed 3 years ago that he didn't weigh enough to do a Segway tour in Old San Juan, so he may jump at the chance to do it in Anchorage. Although, biking the Tony Knowles trail is appealing too.

no one...that I have seen mentions the trolley ride. It isn't a hoho one but it gives you a nice overview of the area, and it does take you to earthquake park where you can take some photos...The Anchorage museum has world class native exhibits...and the Native heritage center is a wonderful place to visit especially if you are taking a cruise. You should know more about the big five native groups that live here...Lots to do...

We will be staying at the Captain Cook Hotel the day before we cruise. I am not renting a car but was wondering if we are in waking distance to the visitor's center, the Anchorage Museum, the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, any other suggestions?

Also, for those of you who are from Anchorage--are there any areas of the city as walkers to avoid or be alert do to crime in those areas?

Yes, all those places are within walking distance, 3 to 7 blocks to the east. Tony Knowles Trail is 2 blocks to the west. You can rent a bike and ride south to Westchester Lagoon and Earthquake Park. It's further to Kincaid Park where you may see moose. Nice views back toward the city, too. Most of downtown is safe; I'd avoid the bus station and the bars on Fourth Ave. across from the Market Place Mall.

Archived