Madrid Airport Hilton

When planning my trip to Europe- I researched hotels and the Madrid Airport Hilton got high marks. I was so disappointed with our room there- that I wanted to report here. No one offered to help us with our bags but that is a minor complaint. The elevator to the room was about 200 ft. from the front desk down a long dark hall. It was kind of creepy.

The hotel is very modern. Lots of black and white and high ceilings. From the reception area- it seems very nice and clean. We booked a "quiet room with wifi and satellite tv".

While the bathroom was spacious- with a shower, tub, large sink, separate toilet and bidet... It was a waste of space. I would have preferred more room in the actual bedroom area. The sink and counter was about four feet wide (3 ft were the sink) and made of clear green glass. The trouble with the sink is that there was virtually no counter space. So you couldn't put your toiletries on the counter because most of it was the sink. This was maddening trying to groom and blow dry my hair.

Our room #635 was right off the elevator, so very convenient. The entrance to the room was narrow and once inside the room- there was limited floor space and no place to open up suitcases- so they remained on the floor. The flooring was fake wood and was very cold. There was a cold draft through the window- traffic noise all night and no heat on in the room. I had to call the front desk for directions on heat. Clearly they need to have someone take you to the room to show you the features. Never did find the switch for the separate toilet and bidet.

The lighting in the room was horrible- harsh lighting. No soft lighting at all and only one nightstand and lamp by the bed. The beds were low beds- not American style beds that are the norm in Hiltons. I hate these Scandanavian style beds.

The wifi was 7 Euros per hour or 20 Euros for 24 hours. They claim that the wifi works for free in the lobby but that didn't hold true for us. The tv has only news programs and if you want to watch a movie it was over 15 Euros.

The room service was outrageous (18 Euros for a sandwich) and the buffet breakfast (20 Euros if you prepay and 26 if you decide to eat there later) and ala carte items at breakfast were expensive. You are a captive audience because there isn't anywhere to eat outside of the hotel. At least the breakfast was good.

Overall- we felt that the hotel had no warmth- literally and figuratively. I do not recommend it.

• 5 months later...
When planning my trip to Europe- I researched hotels and the Madrid Airport Hilton got high marks. I was so disappointed with our room there- that I wanted to report here. No one offered to help us with our bags but that is a minor complaint. The elevator to the room was about 200 ft. from the front desk down a long dark hall. It was kind of creepy.

The hotel is very modern. Lots of black and white and high ceilings. From the reception area- it seems very nice and clean. We booked a "quiet room with wifi and satellite tv".

While the bathroom was spacious- with a shower, tub, large sink, separate toilet and bidet... It was a waste of space. I would have preferred more room in the actual bedroom area. The sink and counter was about four feet wide (3 ft were the sink) and made of clear green glass. The trouble with the sink is that there was virtually no counter space. So you couldn't put your toiletries on the counter because most of it was the sink. This was maddening trying to groom and blow dry my hair.

Our room #635 was right off the elevator, so very convenient. The entrance to the room was narrow and once inside the room- there was limited floor space and no place to open up suitcases- so they remained on the floor. The flooring was fake wood and was very cold. There was a cold draft through the window- traffic noise all night and no heat on in the room. I had to call the front desk for directions on heat. Clearly they need to have someone take you to the room to show you the features. Never did find the switch for the separate toilet and bidet.

The lighting in the room was horrible- harsh lighting. No soft lighting at all and only one nightstand and lamp by the bed. The beds were low beds- not American style beds that are the norm in Hiltons. I hate these Scandanavian style beds.

The wifi was 7 Euros per hour or 20 Euros for 24 hours. They claim that the wifi works for free in the lobby but that didn't hold true for us. The tv has only news programs and if you want to watch a movie it was over 15 Euros.

The room service was outrageous (18 Euros for a sandwich) and the buffet breakfast (20 Euros if you prepay and 26 if you decide to eat there later) and ala carte items at breakfast were expensive. You are a captive audience because there isn't anywhere to eat outside of the hotel. At least the breakfast was good.

Overall- we felt that the hotel had no warmth- literally and figuratively. I do not recommend it.

thank you so much , I was just looking at this hotel

I hope you send your comments to Hilton too. We stayed at the Hilton in the business district of Barcelona a few years back, we had some comments which were more personal preference (i.e., all the bedding and covers were all white, my DH thought it looked like a hospital room) that we sent to Hilton. Much to our surprise we got a letter response from London to our home in California thanking us for our feedback and what they planned to do to make changes. We are Hilton members and usually provide feedback directly to the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

For those doing an overnight in Madrid, I highly recommend staying at the city center and not by the airport. Barajas airport is at most 20 mins from city center, so really, not that much time saving by staying at a hotel by the airport. Madrid is a very vibrant, exciting city that's best experienced by staying there, even if just overnight. Everything closes late (including restaurants), so even if its just for the evening you'll be able to soak the atmosphere.

Archived