Taxi Share??

teacherman

Do the taxis put groups together on the pier, like in Antigua.? There are 2 of us, and want to share the cost of a ride to Orange Fever on Orient Beach. Will they be putting groups together, or do we have to get our own group? We will be there on a Sunday in April. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

We have never been told to share a taxi anywhere. We get our own taxi and go where we want.

If you wish to share, ask around as you approach the exit from the dock. You are likely to find someone agreeable to share with you.

We have visited most of the islands. Our experience has been that there is a fixed price for a taxi (based on 2 people). If there are more than 2, then the cost pp is less. Taxi drivers can make more money by taking more passengers. The taxis are normally van type vehicles with extra jump seats that can hold as many as 10 people. So, taxi dispatchers try to put together groups that are going to the same beaches. I was only inquiring if this procedure was also used on St Marten.

We have visited most of the islands. Our experience has been that there is a fixed price for a taxi (based on 2 people). If there are more than 2, then the cost pp is less. Taxi drivers can make more money by taking more passengers. The taxis are normally van type vehicles with extra jump seats that can hold as many as 10 people. So, taxi dispatchers try to put together groups that are going to the same beaches. I was only inquiring if this procedure was also used on St Marten.

That would be great if this happens. I'll be travelling on my own and want to go to Maho beach. I've just read off a review of the Allure that they are at the docks waiting to take you to your destination.

Pier side in St. Martin, Taxi dispatch is very well organized at an easily identifiable and easy to locate spot outside of the terminal area. There will be a dispatcher. The guy that looks like he is in charge, is. Tell him where you want to go and he'll direct you to a cab (most of them are vans). If you want to go alone and leave right away, tell him that. You'll pay a premium for that. If you get in a large van, expect to wait until it is full before the driver departs.

Snoop around on this web site for information and a rate chart:

http://www.taxistmaarten.com/

I have been in direct contact with two reliable drivers from Antigua (Exactly the same rate chart as St. Martin). Both have quoted me $150 for a private tour for two stating that the $90 cost for such a tour shown on the rate chart is not correct. They tell me the private tours are completely open as to itinerary, can last as long or short as you like and includes wait time if we get out to shop or stop to have lunch. So, not awful but I was skeptical after the first quote and solicited another quote. It was the same.

If you go with more people in your party, it then goes per head and is $40 each person for parties of 4 or more.

I have also read that in St. Martin, if you take the water taxi to town and go to a taxi stand there (still look for the official light on the roof, tags and stickers on the car and driver's license on the dash), you can negotiate and might get a better deal. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that account based on any personal experience though but it makes sense. Dispatchers at the pier are not going to budge on prices .... they have a captive audience.

Archived