Onboard in Winter

cannockfrodo

Can anyone help ? My OH is wondering just how warm the ships are (Boudicca) on winter cruises to cold destinations ?

I'm wondering if FO maintain their outlook on dress code in colder climes too.

The Boudicca was warm/comfortable on her 2012 winter Norway cruise. In case the 'see the lights' call was made, I had my outer layers of winter clothing & camera ready to go out. There wasn't always time to go back to the cabin.

The dress code is maintained and I saw the details for this cruise on the website. I did dress for dinner and then changed back into other clothing afterwards for going out on deck on nights where there was likely to be anything to see.

Last year there were some brave ramblers who took regular walks round the decks whatever the weather.

I understood that trying to take pics was a waste of time with an ordinary camera ?

Depends on what you mean by an ordinary camera? Mine is a bridge camera and I can set it for night/light scenes then put it on a tripod so it stays still. I got one bit of aurora video (with a cheap video camera) last year when I was actually looking at a ship going under the bridge in Trømso.

Agree with what Gaelsail's replied - the ship was warm and cosy inside and the dress code was more or less as normal. Outside was very very cold, but if you have the right clothes it's great. I'd recommend 'Little Hotties' for your hands if you can get some before you go - they were worth their weight in gold on the long night-time excursion we took in search of the lights.

Our camera is a good quality compact, but our attempts at photographing the lights were useless. But we have the images etched on our brains! It was fabulous!

(link to our blog is on a recent thread here if you want to read it - think it was a thread about excursions in Norway)

Outside was very very cold, but if you have the right clothes it's great. I'd recommend 'Little Hotties' for your hands if you can get some before you go
Yes, this sounds like very good advice.

Another thing we do is take insulated mugs with lids so we have hot drinks out on deck.

Another thing we do is take insulated mugs with lids so we have hot drinks out on deck.

Yes, we took those too - though didn't actually use them, as we found it was too cold to linger for long out of doors on the top deck. (But we had a balcony so were able to nip out frequently to keep an eye open for any Aurora action and still be in range of mugs provided in the cabin.)

Archived