Correct designation for queen elizabeth?

eatsallinsects

• 3 months later...

RMS was the designation for ROYAL MAIL SHIPS which carried the mail to the predominately Empire countries etc before the use of air transportation .Some mail is still carried by freighters but not designated vessels.

RMS was the designation for ROYAL MAIL SHIPS which carried the mail to the predominately Empire countries etc before the use of air transportation .Some mail is still carried by freighters but not designated vessels.

THANK YOU, Brian!

Although I think Queen Mary 2 still has the honourary designation of RMS, even although she does carry regular mail deliveries. No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Eddie

Seek and yea shall find. The RMS designation was given to companies contracted to carry the ROYAL MAIL, one being Cunard and White Star. QM2 was given the honoury designation in recognition of Cunards historical association with RM and she still carries mail. BA have a contract to carry mail and some of their aircraft bear the Royal Mail seal. Apparently at the moment their only 4 vessels so designated, one serves St Helena in the Atlantic, one the Scilly Isles, one in Ontario Canada and QM2

Archived