Do you or don't you need a passport?

marco

Supposedly, effective March 1, 2004 US/Canadian citizens required a passport if calling in Barbados. Then it was "No, only if you are leaving the cruise in Barbados and/or flying in/out of Barbados to start/end the cruise there. I got sent an e-mail to the Barbados tourism board and they told me "Passport required only if embarking/disembarking in Barbados. US/Canadian citizens DO NOT require a passport if calling for the day. WHo has been there in the past month? Did everyone need a passport or not to get off for the day?

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on the Destiny in a couple of weeks and heard a lot of the same thing.....you need a passport for Barbados. I did go and get one, as it is always good to have. I double checked with my PVP at Carnival and he assured me that I do NOT need a passport.

please see the above information

Official Statement of Barbados Government Regarding Passport Requirements for Cruise Passengers

as posted by host walt. this is the correct information re passport needs for Barbados. You are required to have one if you are flying in and/or out and staying in Barbados. You do not need one if you are on a cruise and only here for the same time as the cruise is here.

having said that. Having a passport is the best way to travel anyway.. whether a country requires it or not.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to bump this up to the top in case there are any changes in passport requirements for Barbados.

My wife and myself have passports but my brother isn't gonna get one unless he absolutely has to.

We take at least one cruise a year and I find it much easier to just show your passport when traveling.

TIA for any updates on passport requirements for Barbados.

Just found this at: barbados.org/docs.htm

IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS

Barbados Entry Requirements

Passports

Every person entering Barbados, including all North American citizens (Americans and Canadians), should be in possession of a valid passport and a valid return ticket.

Yes, but only if you're arriving by plane.

If you're arriving by ship, no passport is required.

(we saw the potential loss of our cruise friends and recinded the passport requirement)

Have a wonderful time on the island! :)

• 1 month later...

THis same topic is driving me insane...

We are doing awedding cruise with friends and families in the caribbean in October. We are getting married on St. Thomas on the first day.

i keep getting this conflicting information as well and as if I don't have enough stress with the wedding too...... Many of our guests are really tight with money, as are we with the wedding, and I was told repeatly that we don't need on... by the cruise line, the travel agent and the US Department of State... yet someone every week from the group insist on calling me with a "I spoke to a women in the supermarket who's daughter went on a cruise a few months ago and she said we needed it".... this is driving me nuts.....

Just had to vent...

Archived