Booking Two People from Different Countries in the Same Cabin

A friend and I are in the initial stages of planning an Alaskan cruise this summer.

We plan to share a cabin, but we're just friends, with our own credit cards and budgets and so forth. We even live in different countries - I live in the U.S., and she lives in Canada. (With passports to match.)

What's the best way for us to book a cruise once we decide which cruise to take? Is there a way for each of us to book our half of the room, and each pay for it then, or does one of us need to book the whole thing and then have the other one pay them back? If the latter is the best option, will the fact that we are from different countries cause any complications?

Thanks for your help!

When you go to book have one person do the initial booking with the TA or cruise line.... give your individual CC to them

Should not be a problem

when you check in just give your CC & it will be linked to your room key

A friend and I are in the initial stages of planning an Alaskan cruise this summer.

We plan to share a cabin, but we're just friends, with our own credit cards and budgets and so forth. We even live in different countries - I live in the U.S., and she lives in Canada. (With passports to match.)

What's the best way for us to book a cruise once we decide which cruise to take? Is there a way for each of us to book our half of the room, and each pay for it then, or does one of us need to book the whole thing and then have the other one pay them back? If the latter is the best option, will the fact that we are from different countries cause any complications?

Thanks for your help!

When you fill out the online personalizer you'll give them all the necessary info . Since one of you is Canadian book the cruise in Canadian. Cruise lines can only book in one currency not two.

Since one of you is Canadian book the cruise in Canadian. Cruise lines can only book in one currency not two.

I would disagree

Some cruise lines have a creative conversion rate for CAD

Check the price in both currencies then decide

I would disagree

Some cruise lines have a creative conversion rate for CAD

Check the price in both currencies then decide

In Canada if you buy something in USD on your Credit Card the "Bank of Canada (Government)" charges you 3.5% plus exchange rate on each transaction. If you have to get a refund from USD the 6.5% . That means I paid a cruise for $1000 USD deposit I pay $1035 CDN . If I cancel and get the deposit back . I only get $965 back . That means I'm out $100 CDN. If the person from Canada has USD Credit card the USD price would be the way to go. My example is based on both dollars being at Par.

I just went thru this with booking for a cruise where they only book in USD.

In Canada if you buy something in USD on your Credit Card the "Bank of Canada (Government)" charges you 3.5% plus exchange rate on each transaction.

The Credit card company charges the transaction fee some charge 1-4%

Unless you have a USD Credit card from a Canadian bank such as TD or CIBC

Then you can buy USD when the exchange rates are good & just pay your USD CC in US funds

The cruises line do not charge CAD at Par very often.... their rates can vary by as much as 10% or more on the conversion

You need to do your homework before booking from Canada

it is not as cut & dry as you suggested

I have a USD saving account & USD VISA that I use for cruise purchases & when travelling in the USA

YMMV

When ever I get a price from Princess ,I get both and prices are identical.

That may work now when the exchanges rates are so close but not always the case

We do not know if the OP is booking with Princess or not so they should compare pricing

There is no right or wrong way to book as long as you have all the facts & make an informed decision

Discussion has seemed to gotten a little off topic from the original question... Two people from different countries who wish to pay individually for their cruise - staying in the same cabin.

I agree with almost everything mentioned here about currency exchange etc.

But... I'm thinking they should find a TA who would be willing to make the booking, and combine their payments. I would probably go with the US resident making the payments for both and the CDN reimbursing.

At check-in, they can both supply CC's for their own individual accounts once on-board.

It's the initial booking process that could be a problem, not the billing afterward. Check with a TA... after all, they're the professionals!!

Congratulations on your choice to do an Alaskan cruise. There is no problem with booking a stateroom with two passengers using a different credit card, or from two different countries - you will just have to state that when placing your booking with your travel agent. When you complete your pre-cruise registration - you will enter all your passport information then.

Archived