How I finally started cruising at 27

travelplus

I wanted to say how I got addicted to cruising. For some reason my parents weren't much into cruising when I was growing up. They heard about the misconceptions and could not get over the fact of unpacking once. We were staying at timeshare resorts which were nice but we still had to do the dishes, cooking and of course renting the car. When you arrive and then have to drive to your destination and are paying the same amount or even more than a cruise after a long travel day was getting on my nerves.

Renting a car in Mexico just about threw me over the edge especially when the police officer bribed us to let us go to the airport. The resort in Mexico put us in a small room until we bribed them for an upgrade. Enough was enough.Why do we have to be bribed to enjoy our vacation?

Last year at the ripe age of 27 I finally bolted down after being a member of Cruise Critic for a number of years and showed my Father an ad for a repositioning cruise to Europe. I told my Father try it and to get rid of his misconceptions. I told my Father that cruising was just like being at a land based resort but even better. I told my Father that your meals are included, there is entertainment that you would have to drive miles for at a land based resort and the specialty restaurants are less expensive than eating at a steak restaurant at home.

We arrived at San Juan and my Father was a bit overwhelmed when he saw the ship thinking it would be crowded and we would get sea sick etc.

Well after the first two hours he started to enjoy the Solairum meeting new people and enjoying the Main Dining Room service. He told my Mother when we returned how much he enjoyed the food service and entertainment.

We did not have to do the same things. While I was dancing at night he went to the room to watch some tv and go to sleep. We enjoyed the pool, fitness center and jacuzzis.

After our first 14 night cruise from San Juan-Barcelona my Father said" This was the best vacation I had in a long time". We saw new ports that we would never see on a land based vacation unless we spent a lot of money to fly there. The sea days were more relaxing than at a resort in Mexico with the fresh air. Walking around the track especially in the early morning as we pulled into port was one of our favorite things to do.

This year I researched another cruise. When Southwest Airlines needed my seat and gave me a lot of credits and having enough United Miles for a ticket back from Europe the first thing that went through my mind was a Cruise. I had been reading trip reports on Cruise Critic and browsing itineraries online while waiting for my new flight.

When I got home I saw a New Orleans-Rome. I have always wanted to visit Rome, Azores Islands and wouldn't mind going to Tolun France as I love the country. Southwest could get us to New Orleans easily and Lufthansa could me back from Rome while my Father continued on to see relatives abroad.

It wasn't rocket science when I saw that Royal Caribbean Navigator of The Seas was doing the voyage. I did not have to shop around for cruise lines. We were already part of Crown And Anchor. We got $125 OBC from our Travel Agent and I signed up for the RCCL credit card to get 10,000 points for an additional $100.

I find it helps to go cold turkey and take a 14 night or 15 night cruise to see if you really like it. 4 nights is too short. 7-10 nights is fine but if you can get two weeks for the price of 1 then that is even better.

Being a Jazz fan I have always wanted to visit New Orleans so I planned to arrive two nights before the cruise also just in case we arrive late we won't miss the ship. I went onto Hotwire and found the Crown Plaza Astor Hotel in the French Quarter.

In a way I'm glad that I started cruising when I was 27 as you don't have the restrictions that teenagers would . I don't think I would have enjoyed being around immature teenagers in the club. I can go have a drink or two in the Champagne Club and not have the curfew that I've read about on Cruise Critic.

Sometimes its good to wait until your older. With the way the economy is going and its hard to find a job I'm thinking to pursue a career in the travel industry and specialize in travel for individuals with special-needs.

Cruising allows you to unwind while seeing new ports. So if your debating whether to take your first cruise or not I would say do it. Leave the misconceptions aside.

P.S. Am I one of the first young Cruise Critic members that had to convince their parents to cruise. Usually its the other way around where the parents introduce their children to cruising. My Mother went on one Alaska cruise in the 80s and did not go back since.

Cool, though I don't think I consider 27 to be an 'old' age to get into cruising. I took my first cruise at 29 - not everybody grows up cruising. My parents started cruising once I was in my 20s. I'd accuse them of conspiring to deny cruises to their offspring, but they took my younger siblings on several cruises when they were teenagers. They always enjoyed them, but I'm not sure whether they were big users of the teen clubs. Now that they're old enough to drink, I think my folks will think twice about taking them on future cruises. My little brother could bankrupt us all with his bar tab, but he'd make friends with everyone on the ship! :rolleyes:

Archived