4x4 adventure - need review

texasag

• 4 weeks later...
4X4 SAFARI REVIEW:

Our family of four, took the 4X4 safari excursion, last year. This was a ship sponsored excursion, through Celebrity Cruise Line. It is important to know that, only a small portion of the trip, can be considered "off-road". The majority of your travel is on paved roads.

The open air Land Rovers, seated about 8 people. The driver serves as the tour guide, and has a PA system to provide commentary.
The quality of the PA system, left something to be desired, however.

The "off-road" portion, involves driving over extremely bumpy, dirt covered lanes, that go through sugar cane fields. Our 14 year old daughters loved it, as you are bounced around(you are seat belted in). After leaving the sugar cane fields, that is the end of "off road" activity.

There are two stops for photographic opportunities: fabulous views of the coastline/Bathseba area,etc.

The excursion included a last stop, at Paradise Beach, for swimming. A nice, small, secluded beach. We stopped there for about one hour.

Overall, our family enjoyed this excursion. It was a unique form of transportation, beautiful scenery/photo ops/and a refreshing stop at a beach. If you have any back or medical problems, I would NOT recommend this tour, as you do get "bounced around", during the short time-you are "off-road".

2/12/05 Serenade Of The Seas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;2;12;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
We did the 4x4 tour in April. Booked it online with Adventurelandbarbados.com . It was 240.00 for a 6 hour tour. We did quite a bit of off road driving.
We were met on the pier as arranged thru e mail. Our guide
Grafton was great,stopped for some beers on the east coast, did some swimming on the west coast before going back to the ship. We had 2 4x4's, 14 people, and all agreed it was the best tour on our cruise. They will stop anywhere you like, as long as you like.
Thank you Grafton for the Great time.

USS JFK 76-80, SS Pecos 81,
SS Concho 82-83,84,SS Trinty 83,SS San Marcos 84, USNS Mizar 84-85, USNS Misipillion 85,USNS Spica 85,87-88 DRYDOCKED 88-2000,Fasination 00,Destiny 02,
Connie 4-17-04

• 4 weeks later...
This is for Johnny Squid I am looking at this same tour. Could you please tell me what tme you got back to the ship? Also was this one of those off road tours that you come back covered in mud? How long was your beach stop? I really dont want to be hanging off of a cliff but would like to do this. Please any more details would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
We did this 4x4 through Celebrity excursions and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was worth every penny. You do set out on paved roads but that's just to get you out of the city. You end up driving through a sugar cane field (yes, a few bumps but no mud ended up on us) and come out on the Atlantic side of the island. Then you drive straight down the mountain! Took our breath away. Tour guide was very friendly and informative and we stopped at several interesting places including a gorgeous beach (definitely NOT for swimming) on the Atlantic side of the island to sample local rum cake and rum punch or alcohol-free drinks (gratis). We really enjoyed this trip (we're baby boomers, but like to think we're adventurous) and would heartily recommend this excursion for any first timer to Barbados unless you've got back problems that might be aggrevated by bumping along in a 4X4! The hour long swim at the end of our tour was positively divine. Go for it!

• 2 weeks later...
Ditto, Hollym!

DH and I took this excursion about 3 years ago and it is still our favorite EVER! We had a ball seeing Barbados up close and personal. Our driver was very personable and he drove through the middle of sugarcane fields, up and down mountains, to the Atlantic-side of the island and ended up at the beach on the resort side. We loved it and wouldn't miss it when we're in Barbados again.

Go for it and enjoy the adventure....and the rum punch and cake!!

Did you purchase this excursion through the cruise line or was this through AdventurelandBarbados.com? I know if you go through the internet company it is around 6 hours the tour. Does anyone know how long the ships tour is and could you tell me what ship you were on also.
Thanks

Yes, we purchased our 4x4 excursion through Celebrity Summit in January 2002. It lasted about 4 hours with multiple stops for pictures, "refreshments," and informative talks about points of interest. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it was well worth the $59pp charge! We were in an open jeep with 4 others besides DH and me. Had a ball, met wonderful people and enjoyed seeing the ins and outs of Barbados! We still talk about that excursion as if it was yesterday! Go....enjoy!

Barbara and Frank

Archived