Mini Review and Comparison on Jewel 1/6/13 Cruise

bjlaac

OP thank you for your very honest review. Sorry you had some disappointments with the Jewel but all-in-all it sounded like your family had a good experience overall. One thing to remember if portions of food are small and disappointing, you can order more than one. Just order two lobsters or two shrimp dishes, after all its freestyle.

My thoughts exactly regarding order 2 portions....no one will bat an eye. For the lobster lovers and those used to the cold water lobsters you may be disappointed in the lobster offered on board. We have cruised 2 of the NCL ships, Jewel and Gem. Jewel's buffet has a better layout and the MDR service seemed quicker. Gem drinker servers a little more friendly but Jewel cabin stewards score a bit above the Gem. As an added note, most nights the Jewel buffet had shrimp cocktails available.

Cirque Bijou and Jean Pierre probably two of better shows from our last Jewel sailing.

I'm not sure I came across clear enough in my original poss that if you are willing th pay for the optonal dining menus then you would enjoy NCL as much, if not more, than any other line.

Its just that for my family, and I'm sure many others too, an added $50 to $100 per day on a 12 night cruise to get on par with other lines is a little much. If you can afford it, great, but I dare say most can't.

My thoughts exactly regarding order 2 portions....no one will bat an eye. For the lobster lovers and those used to the cold water lobsters you may be disappointed in the lobster offered on board. We have cruised 2 of the NCL ships, Jewel and Gem. Jewel's buffet has a better layout and the MDR service seemed quicker. Gem drinker servers a little more friendly but Jewel cabin stewards score a bit above the Gem. As an added note, most nights the Jewel buffet had shrimp cocktails available.

Cirque Bijou and Jean Pierre probably two of better shows from our last Jewel sailing.

They recently changed to a cold water lobster tail served with a small filet of steak. The lobster & fish combo are gone.

We were on the Jewel Jan. 20 right after the OP. Of the 12 nights we ate in specialties half the time. We enjoy all the choices. During the cruise we talked to the Fleetwide Exec. Chef who was onboard and he's the one who told us about the change with the lobster.

The OP cited the very small serving. We were told it's a 5 oz. lobster tail served with a 5 oz. steak. My DH had it and found it enough especially after appetizer and soup.

As for getting seconds, since we had eaten in Moderno the night before and I wanted to skip the steak, I asked if I could instead have 2 lobster tails. We were told that the Maitre D' has to "sign off" on it but I was brought a 2nd tail.

BTW, we thought the lobster was very good & a definite improvement to the Caribbean smaller tails.:)

We are scheduled to cruise on the Jewel in November to the Caribbean. I have seen pictures of the staterooms and also read many reviews that the rooms are quite small. I opted to upgrade to a mini suite and hope that we might have a bit more room than the regular balcony. I have also read a lot negatives about the NCL cruise lines, but I really wanted to try another cruise line so that I can compare it to Carnival. We took a 7-day to Mexico a few years ago and to me and my family it was perfect. The stateroom (balcony) was roomy for two people, the food was great, and some of the entertainment was great as well. I'm not a person that really gets into the shows and the one we did see was awful, but it was just that show. The only thing that did bother me on the Carnival ship was how people just hogged the hot tubs. I was never able to get into the hot tubs because it was always so full. I would pull up a lounge chair and wait thinking that I could get in, but never did. I know that the pool staff is not going to go and ask people to take turns so that others can get in, but I do believe and feel that something needs to be done so that everyone who wants can have a chance to get in. Maybe have two hot tubs in the adult area and not just one. Looking forward to our cruise in November.

We did and were told only one lobster per person

That may depend on how many they have on board.

We just got off the Sun (11 day sailing)

Lobster tails were offered on the first and last night and there was no limit. (My MIL ate 3 of them :eek:)

ALSO, one of the sea days for lunch, on the outdoor/lido grill they prepared a seafood paella complete with whole lobster tails, scallops, shrimp and calamari.

Photos are from the Galley Tour and outdoor grill. These are definitely cold water lobster tails.

327257647_lobsterpostsize.jpg.5216a5b1865c4e4d6fc37cc84243f42b.jpg

515500144_paellapostsize.jpg.93d076ca98e34b56a542c2bc6f89ecf2.jpg

Archived