The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Could you please tell me the nationality of your cabin steward and/or MDR waiter and/or bartenders? I ask as I'm putting together a scavenger hunt list for our next cruise and would like to have a phrase that we need to get translated. Just want to make it in a language that could be relatively easily found onboard.

Edited by CaroleSS

As far as the pictures of what an aqua class stateroom looks like -- The AQ stateroom is identical to the regular verandah, with added amenities of a slightly improved shower and soaps, and access to Blu and Persian Gardens.

Concierge class is also identical to verandah, with the added amenity of slightly improved room steward service.

The regular verandah is exactly identical to the verandah on RCCL's ships, Oasis and Allure of the Seas, and is essentially identical to the Ocean View stateroom, with the addition of the balcony.

Not trying to be a pessimist, but other than particular rooms that happen to be in strange locations of the ship that require strange shapes (eg: I had an Ocean View at the very back of Eclipse 2 years ago that was around 2X the size of a regular Ocean View), the rooms are the same, and you should be aware of exactly what you are paying for when you purchase a higher category.

Higher categories also *tend* to be in "better" locations (higher floors, less rocky areas, etc) -- but that's not always the case -- there are plenty of high category rooms at the very front and very back of the ship, and some suites mixed in on lower floors.

Emily

I was on the same January 12 sailing with Sandi and had dinner in the Lawn Club Grill. I was able to make both the flatbread (which was really more like a thin crust pizza) and grill the meat. I was the only diner there who was cooking and was therefore the pre-dinner show. I thought I would drop the dough when the chef had me tossing it to make the pizza. All in all a fun, and with the exception of the side dishes, a delicious experience.

Emily

I was on the same January 12 sailing with Sandi and had dinner in the Lawn Club Grill. I was able to make both the flatbread (which was really more like a thin crust pizza) and grill the meat. I was the only diner there who was cooking and was therefore the pre-dinner show. I thought I would drop the dough when the chef had me tossing it to make the pizza. All in all a fun, and with the exception of the side dishes, a delicious experience.

Thanks! Sounds like lots of fun!

librarylady, I just knew you would get stuck in with the cooking at the Lawn Club Grill :D

I like the idea of it, but I too think it's too expensive for what it is. I'll give it a try (if I ever get myself on Reflection :rolleyes:) but it will be for the al fresco dining rather than the food, which doesn't look very exciting. I get that it's supposed to be a grill, but still think it ought to be priced around $25/30 tops.

Did you notice what people were wearing? I remember Lois saying there was quite a mixture of dress when she was there.

I enjoyed the link to the art work, thanks. Stunning! There's something for eveyone in that collection.

I'm sorry your cruise is over, I have really enjoyed sailing along. Hope we get to share a beer or 2 onboard one day. :)

Not silly at all....if you have never tried them...they are some of my

most favorites:D and yes, you eat the WHOLE THING:D...they are

delicious!!!!:D

About soft-shell crabs - I grew up in South Carolina where we looked forward to them every year. What most people don't understand is that crabs molt. When their hard shell gets too tight (most of us cruisers can relate to that), they shed it and the softer shell underneath begins to harden at a size a bit larger than the older shell. If you harvest the crab just after it has molted, then you have a soft-shell crab.

Sorry for the delay in finishing the review....work!

We wanted to see the Interactive Theme Party - Wonderland that was to be held in the Grand Foyer, Deck 3 at 10:45 p.m. Based on past experiences, we knew we would have to get there early for even a chance at a spot by the railing. Forget about Deck 3....all the comfy chairs in the Passport Bar area were spoken for.

We found a spot on Deck 5 across from the Bistro and chatted with the couple from Winnepeg who had shared our boat tour in St. Maarten. This was their first cruise and they had really enjoyed it!

Eventually, it was show time....it was quite a spectacle, featuring the Celebrity dancers. The theme was very loosed tied to Alice in Wonderland. As you can see from the photos, the costumes were vaguely reminiscent of the story, but the music was contemporary.

The show began with the dancers descending the stairs:

P1010937.jpg

P1010947.jpg

P1010936.jpg

P1020019.jpg

and performing a variety of routines.

P1010931.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Some of the dancers then moved into the elevators and continued the show there!!

P1010982.jpg

P1010984.jpg

These guys really got into the spirit of things!!

P1020006.jpg

P1020004.jpg

The audience was invited out onto the dance floor to join in.

P1020017.jpg

It was an energetic, fun performance. Scott really liked it (judging by the number of photos he took LOL!!) but I thought the Masque Theme Party on Eclipse was better (there was a live band at that event too). Worth watching for sure.

Edited by librarylady19

There was a similar type show on the Eclipse last year where the dancers got on the elevators.

The look on the faces of unsuspecting passengers on the elevators while the dancers did their thing was priceless, better than the show:)

After that, it was back to the cabin to pack :( We had to be up by 6:00 a.m. the next morning to leave the ship.

I actually woke up around 3:30 a.m. and looked out onto the balcony and watched our arrival into Miami. It was very interesting to see the ship being navigated through a narrow channel and to watch the cars whiz by, even at that early hour.

8584751a487d8cab32f41f23fc671a3d.jpg

9542a524ba5e7c9f09a024c8d96285a4.jpg

38939fcf627dc0763bdd63c86f0e2722.jpg

Sadly, it was time to leave our beautiful new ship and head for home (although we are always glad to return, parting is bittersweet!).

We made our way down to the Ensemble Lounge and the line already stretched back to Tuscan Grille! Since we weren't in a huge rush (unlike the woman who complained that she should be at the front of the line as she had a 9:00 a.m. flight - unbelievable!) we sat down and waited until the line began moving at approximately 7:20 a.m. and then got onto the end of the line.

We were off the ship, through customs and in our SAS shuttle van on the way to Ft. Lauderdale by 8:00 a.m. Checking in with SW before 8:45 a.m. so all was good.

Edited by librarylady19

Sandi,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for a GREAT review of the Reflection.

You covered everything, in my estimation.

I can't get that photo of the soft shell crab out of my head. I used to "crab" when I was a kid. Getting a soft shell crab was like getting the golden ring on the merry-go-round. Can't wait. They better still have it on the Blu menu.

We board Reflection on 2 March. It is almost around the corner now.

Thanks again for making these last days exciting, leading up to our departure.

See you around the campus.

GiGiAnn

Hi Sandi,

Loved your review, thank you for posting such a detailed report…We are on Reflection in April and based on your review, I can’t wait. Your husband, Scott, reminds me a lot of my husband, they love beer. My husband will be enjoying his beer tasting and lectures on the Samuel Adams Cruise.

We have never been to St Thomas or St John and we thought we would go over to St John. Based on my research and your review we will be taking the cruise tour over to St John. My husband and I want to go to Honeymoon Beach and you mention that it was a long hike to get there. Are you recommending that the best way to get there is to take a taxi to the Caneel Bay Resort? And if so would this be an easy thing to do?

Thanks again for all the information…

Thank you again for the most complete cruise review I've ever read. We are looking forward to our February cruise in 2146 with friends in 2142,2144,2148, and 2120(There's always one couple that doesn't get the word!) We are hoping Desmond is still assigned to our cabin(s), and, if so, we will give him greetings from you. Bob and Joy

Thank you again for the most complete cruise review I've ever read. We are looking forward to our February cruise in 2146 with friends in 2142,2144,2148, and 2120(There's always one couple that doesn't get the word!) We are hoping Desmond is still assigned to our cabin(s), and, if so, we will give him greetings from you. Bob and Joy

Cool - you will love that location, so convenient! Imhope you have Desmond too...won't be surprised if he's promoted to butler soon though.

Enjoy your cruise.

Simply put....BEST review ever!!!....period...end of story :). Thank you so much for this fantastic amount of information. Will be on Reflection on Mar 16 of this year ( almost there...yahoo !! )' and can't wait now.......

Awesome, awesome review. It was a huge reason we booked Celebrity for the first time. Thanks for all of the time that went into it.

Maybe you already did this, but any chance you could post a link to all of your pictures?

Thanks a lot. I am happy to help others learn the "tricks of the tirade." It always surprises me how many people cruise without doing any research at all, and then they complain when things aren't to their liking.

I will be posting links to all my Reflection albums in the next few days - just need to make sure they are all properly organized (almost said cataloged - librarian joke!!)

Edited by librarylady19

I will be posting links to all my Reflection albums in the next few days - just need to make sure they are all properly organized (almost said cataloged - librarian joke!!)

Looking forward to looking at them all again. Two huge things that convinced us to book: Your review, and the thread from the guy who said, "Why I'm leaving Celebrity". All of his reasons were things that we like! More music, more entertainment, etc etc.

Thank you Sandi for your review - I really enjoyed it.

A couple of questions...

The Persian Gardens - are the loungers there so that one can simply relax?

The Tea Forte in Cafe Al Bacio, do you recall the cost? Would they be covered under the Classic package?

The manicure & pedi, were they 'standard or Shelliac & how much did they cost?

Many thanks again!!