aix or saint-remy and les baux?

ramsam

Hi. I was just wondering what your opinions were in regards to which of the following ship tours to pick.

1. Aix-en-provence for a total of 5 hrs.

or

2. saint-remy and les baux for a total of 7 1/2 hrs.

I've read some similar post but none with these exact choices.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
Wish someone would answer you because that is the same thing I'm trying to decide. I am going on celebrity equinox and their website doesn't say very much about their Villages of Provence excursions.

I have not done these town on a shore excursion - only on a land trip, so cannot comment on the Celebrity excursions.

Both excursions will provide a nice day in Provence. Les Baux and St. Remy are small, in fact very few people actually live in Les Baux, it's more of a preserved medieval mountain village, which has many tourists shops. Very touristy, but lovely just the same. Wonderful views over the Provincial countryside. St. Remy is the quintessential Provence small town, right down to the boules court. The trip between the two is the also nice - the plane trees line the road - just how one pictures Provence.

Aix is much larger. Lovely squares and fountains. Cours Mirabeau is the main street and sitting in a café there is also the essence of Provence.

Personally, I'd pick the Les Baux/St. Remy day - but just because I love the little towns of Provence and the countryside. I'm sure others would prefer the larger Aix. Perhaps you could do some web searches and look at pictures of both and see what you think you might enjoy more.

Thank you very much. I think I probably will go to the small villages. When I googled them there wasn't much about them so I guess I'll just go see for myself.

Try putting in the name of each town and you tube. You should find some nice videos.

Les Baux is tourisy but the landscape is incredibly dramatic. St Remy is very charming. Have not been to Aix...we chose to by-pass on our last Provence trip but I have heard it is lovely. You probably can't go wrong with either one.

AIX is lovely. Took a taxi with others for a day trip/tour but train from Marseilles is good too. Had lunch at a nice little cafe. AIX is larger but not like a big large city. There is a lot of tourism here and I thought a little touristy in places but folks do live, work and study here unlike some other tourist orientated sites. Great atmosphere. We had a very nice day. Will likely go elsewhere next visit to enjoy those sites too.

Having been to all three places I woud choose St Remy and Les Baux. Wonderful places, both of them. We were not that impressed with Aix. Very heavy traffic running through and very busy whereas the other two are much more picturesque and slighly quieter.

Archived