Wonderful Copenhagen

Thanks for the tip about guides being unionized. Any suggestions for teen boys 16, 16 and 20 besides tivoli gardens. And maybe my 20 year old can buy you a beer along with the big boy Roger. We will be there July 17th

Sharon

The Blue Planet seems interesting but I have yet to visit it myself but all the friends that have been there talks good about this place.

I always like to visit the Zoo and the elephant House by Sir Norman Foster is very unique and the new artic circle with the polar bears is also very interesting.

There are up to six daily departures, but its only the hop on hop off tours where you can get on and off.

The guided tours doesn't seem to stop anywere else but Gammel Strand and Nyhavn.

There is a luggage storage at the airport so if you are up to it you get to the Blue Planet just after landing in CPH.

If you visit this place after you have arrived at your hotel you can also take the metro line M2 from Nørreport or Kongens Nytorv directly to Kastrup metro station.

You can also as you have already noticed take the Øresund train to the airport and change to M2 from there.

Hi Danish,

We are staying at the Hotel Bethel by the canal pre-cruise and my plan is to take the metro line M2 from Nørreport to Kongens Nytorv and walk 5 to 10 mins to the hotel. Is this the shorest route? Also, should we buy CPH cards since we don't do museums and only interested in sightseeing and the canal tour?

Thanks.

Tony

Have any of your friends tried out Fish Kiss yet? I saw it on Groupon yesterday and I have always wanted to try out the fish pedicure after seeing it on tv. I know it is big in Asia but it is pretty much banned here in the US ("sanitary issues"). Wasn't sure if it was worth a try over there.

I would not leave my car at any sidestreet or S-train station for more than a few days, leaving it for a week just spells trouble.

The port or airport is my best bet.

btw we are staying at Hilton Düsseldorf during our stay and we got 2 double rooms for a total of around 130 euro, how is than even possible in a 5 star hotel. ?

You have a point, Danish Viking. Thanks for your advice!

The Hilton is a terrific deal! There would be certainly no trade fair in Düsseldorf at that weekend. I wish I could find such a good deal in Copenhagen. :-(

Continue your great job on this thread! May be I will come again with other questions. :)

Hi Danish,

We are staying at the Hotel Bethel by the canal pre-cruise and my plan is to take the metro line M2 from Nørreport to Kongens Nytorv and walk 5 to 10 mins to the hotel. Is this the shorest route? Also, should we buy CPH cards since we don't do museums and only interested in sightseeing and the canal tour?

Thanks.

Tony

Are you coming from the cruise port and is it a weekend/public holiday or regular day.

Have any of your friends tried out Fish Kiss yet? I saw it on Groupon yesterday and I have always wanted to try out the fish pedicure after seeing it on tv. I know it is big in Asia but it is pretty much banned here in the US ("sanitary issues"). Wasn't sure if it was worth a try over there.

Its relativily new here so I don´t know if its just a gimmick or not.

Its relativily new here so I don´t know if its just a gimmick or not.

I think it is one of those things you try once. At least that is how it was portrayed on the tv show I saw it on. Apparently very ticklish as the fish suck the dead skin off your feet. lol

Danish Viking,

Thank you for all your help on this thread sure it is invaluable to us all.

I just wanted to run my plans by you to check it makes sense. We are only in Copenhagen 8am - 4pm so time is short and its on a Monday so some museums are closed.

Ship docks in Langeline and as we arrive early and before some places are open thought we could first walk to Little Mermaid and then onto Amalienborg.

Would continue walking to Nyhavn and by this time canal boat tours should have started so we will take a tour.

After this depending on time and how long we have left will decide whether to have a stroll on Stroget visit Rosenborg Castle and/or Rundetårn.

As there are four of us and for speed then plan to catch a taxi back to the port.

Is the walking planned for the first part of the day simple enough and how easy is it to grab a taxi back?

Thank you

It sounds easy and straight forward but I recommend mapping things out on Google Maps. You can just put in the landmarks for point A and B and they have a walking route option that will give you the quickest routes and the time it should take. I've been using it to plan my trip.

coming in on the Emerald Princess May 12, (not sure which port), need to get from there to Best Western Mercur. Staying two days, wanting to see some sights, get feel of city and need transportation to airport on May 14. What is the best way. Copenhagen card?, hop on off bus or taxi? Wanting to see some things but not be overwhelmed.

coming in on the Emerald Princess May 12, (not sure which port), need to get from there to Best Western Mercur. Staying two days, wanting to see some sights, get feel of city and need transportation to airport on May 14. What is the best way. Copenhagen card?, hop on off bus or taxi? Wanting to see some things but not be overwhelmed.

Depending on how many things you plan to see I would say that the Copenhagen Card is a very good deal.

The canal tour is included (both companies) and there is a discount on the HO/HO busses.

But bus 11A takes you to most sites in the city and being a regular bus its included in the card.

The Princess ships always use the Freeport terminal.

There are no busses on a Sunday so you have to use princess overpriced shuttle, take a taxi, use the HO/HO bus or take the S-train from Nordhavn station.

What's a good itinerary for Copenhagen for the day?

SoBaycruiser gave you a good suggestion but tell me what you want to see and i can help you a little bit better.

If you visit Copenhagen Cards website they have a list of museums that are included in the card but it will also give you a nice overview of all the tourist attractions.

Was leaning toward the Copenhagen Card, but if I buy online and have the e-voucher, where would I exchange it for the card at the cruise port? I think there is nowhere close. Then I could do a HOHO bus. Question on the hoho bus. Is it just one company or is there multiple. Saw a site to purchase the citysights bus or the open top buses with a boat pass. Also how much money should we exchange for 2 days worth of food for a average person (lunch and dinner). Or a better questions is how expensive is a quick lunch or dinner?

Was leaning toward the Copenhagen Card, but if I buy online and have the e-voucher, where would I exchange it for the card at the cruise port? I think there is nowhere close. Then I could do a HOHO bus. Question on the hoho bus. Is it just one company or is there multiple. Saw a site to purchase the citysights bus or the open top buses with a boat pass. Also how much money should we exchange for 2 days worth of food for a average person (lunch and dinner). Or a better questions is how expensive is a quick lunch or dinner?

If you purchase the card from the Copenhagen site you have the option of having it mailed to your home for an extra fee (not much more, I think it was around $10.00 shipping charge). This option is not available through Viator or other 3rd party distributers but it is directly on the Copenhagen site. Enjoy your trip!

Dolfans from Miami

We leave on Thursday, so no time for snail mail. I see that the citysightseeing. does have all lines running May 1 so that might be the way to go. Might go the canal, bus, bus ticket which one sight offered.

You can start at the Little Mermaid

Then the resistance museum with free entrance that opens at 10:00

http://natmus.dk/en/visit-the-museums/the-museum-of-danish-resistance/the-museum-of-danish-resistance-1940-1945/

Maybe you can time so you are at Amalienborg at noon for the changing of the guard, that it also free but entrance to the museum wing is not.

http://www.ses.dk/en/SlotteOgHaver/Slotte/Amalienborg/frederik8palae/AabningForOffentligheden.aspx?sc_lang=en

Next up is Nyhavn with any of the two canal tour companies, it takes aprox 1 hour

http://www.stromma.dk/en/Home/

http://nettobaadene.dk/

Here you can also eat some lunch at any of the restaurants or cafés.

Next up is Rosenborg castle if you got the time i migane that the clock will be around 2 pm when you arrive at Rosenborg Castle so you got one hour but that should do the trick.

http://dkks.dk/english

My walking route back to the ship suggest the botanical garden but that is perhaps to optimistic.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue+to:Frihedsmuseet,+Churchillparken+to:Amalienborg+Slotsplads,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:botanisk+have+to:Langelinie+All%C3%A9,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.688956,12.586384&spn=0.029464,0.077162&sll=55.689198,12.586899&sspn=0.029464,0.077162&geocode=FcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw%3BFSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFcC7UQMdIDTAACEcSeIbrBnB5SkxnzH_IFNSRjEcSeIbrBnB5Q%3BFeasUQMdMSfAACmXtjw3IlNSRjHZ4cl7QUfVtA%3BFemYUQMdvCLAACE4vU4Eke_lQinDyPvXPFNSRjE4vU4Eke_lQg%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFVCwUQMdY9i_ACEmWkaGuATuoSnz3TyvBFNSRjEmWkaGuATuoQ%3BFcTkUQMd2kLAACntMywP3VJSRjE_T-yaL8rkaw&oq=langelini&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=14

If you are running late there are many taxis at Nørreport located left when you come outr on the big street,

But you can also walk right instead at walk to the bus stop and catch bus 26 to the pier.

You have to look at Mandag til Fredag and the times marked with a B goes to Indiakaj in the bottom of Langelinie.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000028418

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=%C3%98ster+Voldgade+%4055.687865,12.579274&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.687081,12.578107&spn=0.001842,0.004823&sll=55.687864,12.579273&sspn=0.00046,0.001206&geocode=FcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFbm6UQMdyvG_AA&oq=rosenborg&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=18

Hi Danish, we are looking at the same sort of things we are from 7am to 5pm, bu we will be at Freeport, what do you suggest ?

If you are in on a regular weekday you can take bus 26 to the starting point but if its a weekend or public holiday you have to either walk 20-30 minutes to the starting point or take the S-train from Nordhavn to Østerport and walk to the Little Mermaid from here.

Danish Viking, I have read through this entire thread and am amazed by all of the information you have been so willing to share with everyone. I would hope I could return the favor to you or someone else.

As I was reading I became more confused so I thought I would ask you a question that starts my planning at the very beginning. We will be arriving in Copenhagen on July 2nd with an overnight on the ship and disembarking on the 3rd. We are then staying one night in Copenhagen before leaving the next day for the States. We are not savey travelers so are looking for the easiest way to transfer from the ship to the hotel and then back to the airport. Of course, we would want to see as much as we could see while there. I have copied the list of hotels you provided earlier in this thread. Could you tell me which area would be the best to book our hotel in order to make it the easiest for us. We would want to stay in a mid-budget range but I am not opposed to spending more for ease of transportation. We also are avid walkers. Some of the areas listed on the hotel list are: Tivoli/Central station, Ørestad; halfway between downtown and the airport, Vesterbro/Central Station, Nyhavn area, Tivoli/Town Hall Square, Kalvebod Brygge/Town Hall Square. We are seriously looking at the Copenhagen card or using the HOHO transportation.

Thank you in advance for helping me start my decision. Once we figure out the area for the hotel I think the rest will fall into place.

Sue

BTW are you sure that its not from June 3rd to June 4th because the other ships doesn´t seem to overnight.

2013-06-02 08:00 2013-06-02 17:30 Costa Fortuna c254

2013-06-02 08:00 2013-06-02 18:00 MSC Poesia c245

2013-06-02 09:30 2013-06-02 18:00 AIDAbella c190

2013-06-02 12:00 2013-06-02 18:00 Marco Polo c190

2013-06-03 05:00 2013-06-03 18:00 Emerald Princess c245

2013-06-03 07:00 2013-06-03 13:00 Boudicca c190

2013-06-03 07:00 2013-06-03 17:00 Norwegian Star c254

2013-06-03 08:00 2013-06-03 16:00 Costa neoRomantica c243

2013-06-03 13:00 2013-06-04 18:00 Prinsendam c190