Wonderful Copenhagen

That is indeed the same pier i was thinking of.

If you look at the picture i posted then you can find Aldi in the L shaped building just next to the station.

Østerport is the next station further up the line.

Excellent! Thanks so much.

I was reading a restaurant review on a restaurant in Copenhagen, and the reviewer mentioned that they brought their own wine to the restaurant to have with their evening meal.

Can you tell me what the rules are in Copenhagen for bringing your own wine to a restaurant? Is it worth it, do they charge a corkage fee? Will the restaurant be annoyed? We will be dining at Restaurant Radio.

Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of such things, I don´t know if its allowed but its rude and not very polite to do such thing, but that justr my opinion.

Thank you--that is helpful. In the US, certain restaurants that don't have liquor licenses allow you to "bring your own beverage" (BYOB). I was surprised to read the review on tripadvisor stating that they brought their own wine to a restaurant in Copenhagen that serves wine. I thought that was odd. In the US, we basically believe the same thing (not very polite), unless it is arranged with the restaurant in advance and it is a very special occasion with a very special bottle of wine. The restaurant then typically charges a "corkage" fee, which is a fee for serving the bottle.

Thank you for the quick response!

That is indeed the same pier i was thinking of.

If its the Freeport Terminal you could buy bottled water and wine at Aldi at Nordhavn Station.

If you need more quality wine then its Irma at Østerport station.

If you look at the picture i posted then you can find Aldi in the L shaped building just next to the station.

Østerport is the next station further up the line.

Sorry to bother you over the same message but I'm not sure I understand the location if the Aldi store as compared to the dock where the ship will be located.

Will the ship be in the slot in the middle left side of the picture and the store near the white building at the bottom left corner? Also are you saying the way to get there is the short walk to the store? Or are you recommending taking the bus?

Thanks again,

Chris

Dear Danish Viking:

We are arriving in Copenhagen on a Saturday in May 2014 at the Freeport pier.

We plan on taking a 3 hour Copenhagen Free Walking Tour that leaves from City Hall at 11 am sharp. Since our ship docks at 7am, we were thinking of doing a canal tour prior to that.

Here are some questions:

1. What canal tour do you recommend that does tours in the morning (in time to complete the canal tour and get to City Hall by about 10:45 am) and do we need to book in advance or do you just show up?

2. What time should be leave the ship to get to the canal tour, do the tour, and get to City Hall by 10:45 am?

3. What is the best way to get to the canal tour from Freeport Pier?

4. Our walking tour will end up at Amalienborg Palace around 2pm. I assume we can walk from there to Kastellet and Little Mermaid. I noticed there is a bus 26 at Indiakaj near Little Mermaid. Will this take us to Freeport Pier?

Thank you!

I haven't been able to find your answer to all of the above. As it turns out, apparently we are arriving at C330 (our ship is Legend of the Seas and it is arriving on 10 May 2014 and also on 2 May 2014) so this will likely change any directions.

Thanks!

just wondering if we take the free city tour in Copenhagen how much to tip per person? any experience here? Also if anyone knows if on the canal cruise we can either take a mobility scooter on or if it is safe to leave one the dock? All responses appreciated!!

just wondering if we take the free city tour in Copenhagen how much to tip per person? any experience here? Also if anyone knows if on the canal cruise we can either take a mobility scooter on or if it is safe to leave one the dock? All responses appreciated!!

A free tour, that sounds to good to be true, do you have more info about that.

Sorry to bother you over the same message but I'm not sure I understand the location if the Aldi store as compared to the dock where the ship will be located.

Will the ship be in the slot in the middle left side of the picture and the store near the white building at the bottom left corner? Also are you saying the way to get there is the short walk to the store? Or are you recommending taking the bus?

Thanks again,

Chris

Does this help.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=ALDI,+%C3%98stbanegade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.708328,12.594967&spn=0.006855,0.021136&sll=55.710335,12.600136&sspn=0.006854,0.021136&geocode=FZgBUgMd4hvAACEmbnyifmU-zCnNwHTd7lJSRjEmbnyifmU-zA%3BFX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA&oq=aldi+&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&z=16

Dear Danish Viking:

We are arriving in Copenhagen on a Saturday in May 2014 at the Freeport pier.

We plan on taking a 3 hour Copenhagen Free Walking Tour that leaves from City Hall at 11 am sharp. Since our ship docks at 7am, we were thinking of doing a canal tour prior to that.

Here are some questions:

1. What canal tour do you recommend that does tours in the morning (in time to complete the canal tour and get to City Hall by about 10:45 am) and do we need to book in advance or do you just show up?

2. What time should be leave the ship to get to the canal tour, do the tour, and get to City Hall by 10:45 am?

3. What is the best way to get to the canal tour from Freeport Pier?

4. Our walking tour will end up at Amalienborg Palace around 2pm. I assume we can walk from there to Kastellet and Little Mermaid. I noticed there is a bus 26 at Indiakaj near Little Mermaid. Will this take us to Freeport Pier?

Thank you!

Sorry sorry sorry, I missed that one.

You are going to walk to Nordhavn station and take a southbound S-train and get off at Nørreport where you take any Metro line heading for Lufthavnen or Vestamager.

Here you walk to Nyhavn.

This trip takes between 14 and 16 minutes so you have to walk around 08:30-08:45 from your ship.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.70811,12.594967&spn=0.006855,0.021136&sll=55.710335,12.600136&sspn=0.006854,0.021136&geocode=FX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA%3BFRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw&oq=Nordhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

Its going to be though because the first tours starts at 09:30 and ends at 10:30 (roughly) thats with Stromma.

The cheaper Netto Baadene first run at 09:40 so its out of the question.

Then you have around 15 minutes to get to Town Hall Square at 10:45 But if you take a taxi from Kongens Nytorv (next to Nyhavn) it can probably work out.

If you take the bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads at 10:37 you can be at the Town Hall Square at 10:45 but you only have 7 minutes to get out of the boat and find the bus stop but according to this map it only takes 3 minutes.

When you arrive by metro before the canal tour, you can check out where the bus stop is so you can head directly to the bus after the canal tour.

But the good thing is that the taxi rink is next door.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=bus+n%C3%A6r+Kongens+Nytorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=DFDS+Canal+Tours+A%2FS,+Nyhavn+3,+1051+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68001,12.58589&spn=0.00343,0.010568&sll=55.69615,12.59579&sspn=0.054854,0.169086&geocode=FfGYUQMdzQrAACF_x1U-kcGjIikd5_nqF1NSRjF_x1U-kcGjIg%3BFfGdUQMdKxPAACmxtIMHGFNSRjHEz7NWCJHicA&oq=kongens+nytorv++bus&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

From the Little Mermaid you walk to Østerport where you now take any northbound S-trains and get off at Nordhavn and walk back to the ship.

Herman the Cat

There are lots of restaurants in the UK which operate a BYOB, although many tend to be Indian restaurants. Often new restaurants that don't have an alcohol licence will operate this system too until they get their licence through.

Danish Viking

I have spent hours reading through your very informative posts and am now confused. We will be on a cruise docking in Freeport on Sunday, 8th September 2013. As it is a Sunday the No.26 bus won't be operating. We will be bringing a wheelchair for me as I have limited mobility.

Can you tell me if the HOHO bus stops near to the ship, we will be on quay C254. If not, please can you tell me the easiest place to catch one and the distance from our ship as my poor DH will have to push me there.

Thank you.

Herman the Cat

There are lots of restaurants in the UK which operate a BYOB, although many tend to be Indian restaurants. Often new restaurants that don't have an alcohol licence will operate this system too until they get their licence through.

Many restaurants in the US do the same. Sadly, some do really well as BYOV and then they get the liquor license and go out of business!

Danish Viking,

My apologies is you have answered this question a hundred times before. I did a quick search and didn't find an answer.

How safe is Copenhagen to walk around in the evening? We will be walking from Julius Thomsengade 12, to our hotel near Tivoli at around 10pm.

Would you suggest we not walk and take a taxi, or is it very safe to walk.

Thank you~

Danish Viking,

My apologies is you have answered this question a hundred times before. I did a quick search and didn't find an answer.

How safe is Copenhagen to walk around in the evening? We will be walking from Julius Thomsengade 12, to our hotel near Tivoli at around 10pm.

Would you suggest we not walk and take a taxi, or is it very safe to walk.

Thank you~

Generally Copenhagen is very safe but as any other big cities there are some bad neighbourhoods but Frederiksberg (where Julius Thomsens Gade is located) is not any of them.

But if you walk along the big street Rosenørns Allé - Gyldenløvesgade - HC Andersens Boulevard you should be okay because its a big street with many people.

Dear Danish Viking,

Which Tour bus would recommend; the Hop-On Hop Off (Stromma) or the Step-On-Step Off bus which is affiliated with Netto Baadene. Both will pick up at Freeport dock.

Thanks,

voltdoc

Strommas´s busses looks more modern but I have actually never tried any of them.

Sorry sorry sorry, I missed that one.

You are going to walk to Nordhavn station and take a southbound S-train and get off at Nørreport where you take any Metro line heading for Lufthavnen or Vestamager.

Here you walk to Nyhavn.

This trip takes between 14 and 16 minutes so you have to walk around 08:30-08:45 from your ship.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.70811,12.594967&spn=0.006855,0.021136&sll=55.710335,12.600136&sspn=0.006854,0.021136&geocode=FX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA%3BFRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw&oq=Nordhavn&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=16

Its going to be though because the first tours starts at 09:30 and ends at 10:30 (roughly) thats with Stromma.

The cheaper Netto Baadene first run at 09:40 so its out of the question.

Then you have around 15 minutes to get to Town Hall Square at 10:45 But if you take a taxi from Kongens Nytorv (next to Nyhavn) it can probably work out.

If you take the bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads at 10:37 you can be at the Town Hall Square at 10:45 but you only have 7 minutes to get out of the boat and find the bus stop but according to this map it only takes 3 minutes.

When you arrive by metro before the canal tour, you can check out where the bus stop is so you can head directly to the bus after the canal tour.

But the good thing is that the taxi rink is next door.

https://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=bus+n%C3%A6r+Kongens+Nytorv,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=DFDS+Canal+Tours+A%2FS,+Nyhavn+3,+1051+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68001,12.58589&spn=0.00343,0.010568&sll=55.69615,12.59579&sspn=0.054854,0.169086&geocode=FfGYUQMdzQrAACF_x1U-kcGjIikd5_nqF1NSRjF_x1U-kcGjIg%3BFfGdUQMdKxPAACmxtIMHGFNSRjHEz7NWCJHicA&oq=kongens+nytorv++bus&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

From the Little Mermaid you walk to Østerport where you now take any northbound S-trains and get off at Nordhavn and walk back to the ship.

Excellent answer and information. However, my follow-up noted that contrary to what Royal Caribbean is telling us, you have advised that Legend of the Seas will be at the new cruise terminal at C330 on May 2 and 10, 2014. We are planning this excursion for Saturday, May 10.

I assume the directions will be different from that location?

Thanks,

Bill

oooops, that is correct.

Its possible to walk to Nordhavn from there but its a 30 minute walk.

If you come back in January/february the should hopefully be more info available about transport to and from the new cruise terminal, either public or shuttle busses.

But I do hope that bus 26 (or another) will be in service in weekends but nothing is communicated yet.

oooops, that is correct.

Its possible to walk to Nordhavn from there but its a 30 minute walk.

If you come back in January/february the should hopefully be more info available about transport to and from the new cruise terminal, either public or shuttle busses.

But I do hope that bus 26 (or another) will be in service in weekends but nothing is communicated yet.

Great. I will check back with you then. Thanks again.

Bill

Apologies if a similar question has already been asked.

Danish Viking, can you suggest any companies who would be able to put together a private tour for us at the end of our cruise? We would be keen to tour the city in the morning and then the surrounding area in the afternoon prior to being dropped off at the airport. Also, are there any "must see" places outside Copenhagen but within reasonable travelling distance?

Thanks.

Loving this thread! Taking lots of notes, but I'm only on pg. 14, so I'm beginning to panic that I won't figure our situation before we leave next week! (Guess I started on this port a little late!)

Thank you Danish Viking for your expertise!

We are arriving Monday July 29 and will be there 8a.m. - 4p.m.

We have a group of 8 from ages 17 - 80.

From what I've read, we are arriving at C-190, Langelinie. We should walk to Osterport Station to pick up a City Pass (is that cost 75 DKK or 130 DKK - I seem to have read conflicting things) rather than take the bus to Osterport because they can't sell us the City Pass.

We want to see the Little Mermaid Statue, Strogel, Tivoli, Round Tower, a Castle (maybe Rosenburg?), and maybe a short canal tour. Does this seem possible? Do you have recommendations? We are also considering the Copenhagen Card instead of City Pass. Can the Copenhagen Card be purchased at Osterport?

Thank you:)

Edited by readytotravel44

One more question...Can the Copenhagen card be picked up at Langelinie Station. There appears to be a 7-11 location, but I wasn't sure how close that was.

If we DO get the card. Is the suggestion to pre-purchase and pick it up there? It is too late (and expensive) for us to have the card sent.

Thank you:)