Wonderful Copenhagen

Thanks Danish Viking for all your help. We will arrive in Copenhagen on May 30 and are very excited to be spending 2 days before the cruise exploring. We plan to use a Copenhagen card for transportation and are wondering if you can tell us which route and stop to use to see the Little Mermaid, Torvehallerne market, and Sandcastle Festival. We will be staying at the Tivoli Hotel and conference centre which is on route 11 but where would we transfer to get to these sites and in which order should we do them? The other sites I think we can walk to from the core using a street map.

Another question - We are hoping to meet up with friends who will arrive the next day and are staying at the Grand. Any suggestions where to go for an inexpensive meal before heading to Tivoli Gardens for the evening or should we eat there?

Many thanks for you patience in answering all our questions and sharing your abundant knowledge of Copenhagen.

Can hardly wait!

Bus 11A does reach both Torvehallern (near Nørreport Station) and the Sand Sculpture Festival (Near Nyhavn).

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Pages/Buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200001110000&line_gid=9011200001100000&line_name=11A&tab_name=Afgange&journey_gid=9025200000047324#navigate

Near Nyhavn you can catch bus 26 towards Indiakaj where the Little Mermaid is located.

You need to catch the B departures from the Mandag til Fredag schedule.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001357

Jensens Bøfhus (steakhouse) located on Axeltorv is located very close to both your hotel and The Grand and is very cheap, especially before 16:00

http://www.jensens.com/axeltorv

Tivoli.dk has a good restaurant guide but i can recommend Cafe Ultima.

Danish Viking,

My family and I will be visiting your city on 5 July. We want to visit the National Museum and Rosenborg Castle at the minimum. What would be the best route from the Langaline Dock if we visit the Museum first then proceed to the castle?

If we purchase snacks or small meal from street kiosks is that a cash only purchase or is credit card possible?

Also, as 5 July is also my sons 14th birthday I would like to purchase a small cake as is customary in the US. Any Suggestions?

I have a chip and pin credit card and would like to use it as my primary purchasing method and only change a minimal amount of USD to DKK. Is this possible in Copenhagen as it is in my city (Chicago) where I can buy nearly everything with a credit card?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much, you're awesome!

Danish Viking,

My family and I will be visiting your city on 5 July. We want to visit the National Museum and Rosenborg Castle at the minimum. What would be the best route from the Langaline Dock if we visit the Museum first then proceed to the castle?

If we purchase snacks or small meal from street kiosks is that a cash only purchase or is credit card possible?

Also, as 5 July is also my sons 14th birthday I would like to purchase a small cake as is customary in the US. Any Suggestions?

I have a chip and pin credit card and would like to use it as my primary purchasing method and only change a minimal amount of USD to DKK. Is this possible in Copenhagen as it is in my city (Chicago) where I can buy nearly everything with a credit card?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much, you're awesome!

Obviously I'm not Danish Viking (LOL) but he has been helping me plan my trip this summer as well. One of the most useful sites is maps.google.com Change your location to Copenhagen and then you can type in the landmarks and it will give you the directions for either walking, taking busses, taxis, etc. It gives you distances, number of stops (if using the busses), walking times, etc.

You can start by playing with this map I started for you. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=The+Little+Mermaid,+Copenhagen,+Denmark&daddr=Nationalmuseet,+Copenhagen,+Denmark+to:Rosenborg+Castle+and+Royal+Treasure,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+Copenhagen,+Denmark&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=55.678915,12.584066&spn=0.012123,0.042272&sll=55.693939,12.599087&sspn=0.048472,0.169086&geocode=FSzOUQMd2j_AACE8HjWiDJCo3ykDIUKN65BMRjE8HjWiDJCo3w%3BFYSGUQMds9-_ACGvUootGGV13ilFmeq_E1NSRjGvUootGGV13g%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug&oq=Little+M&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

Edited by blonde1981

Danish Viking,

From Langelinie you can catch bus number 26 from the bus stop at Indiakaj towards Ålholm plads.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Langeliniekaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Indiakaj+%4055.695184,12.598029&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.695209,12.598035&sspn=0.001841,0.004823&geocode=FfzjUQMd2kTAACkDxzQO3VJSRjGv7H9BeLTnBA%3BFVDXUQMdDTvAAA&oq=indiakaj&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

You get off at the bus stop at Stormbroen, Nationalmuseet.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Stormbroen,+Nationalmuseet,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Nationalmuseet+Indgang,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.675822,12.576296&sspn=0.007369,0.01929&geocode=Fa6LUQMdKOa_ACmhO57iE1NSRjEAmYHVhWga6A%3BFbOFUQMdoeG_AClnL3KUE1NSRjGHrnztuTv9hw&oq=nationalmuseet&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=18

For the cake i recommend Lagkagehuset.

Lagkagehuset

Frederiksberggade 21

DK-1459 København K

Here is a walking route from National museet, Lagkagehuset, Rosenborg Castle and back to Langelinie Pier.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nationalmuseet+Indgang,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Frederiksberggade+21,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Rosenborg+Slot,+%C3%98ster+Voldgade,+K%C3%B8benhavn+to:Langeliniekaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.680221,12.574162&sspn=0.014735,0.038581&geocode=FbOFUQMdoeG_AClnL3KUE1NSRjGHrnztuTv9hw%3BFT-QUQMdi9C_ACkz4XHwEVNSRjEW9skrFXnbOg%3BFcOyUQMd9em_ACE8GyhFM5w1UikdU55CG1NSRjE8GyhFM5w1Ug%3BFfzjUQMd2kTAACkDxzQO3VJSRjGv7H9BeLTnBA&oq=langelinie&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=14

Bus 11A does reach both Torvehallern (near Nørreport Station) and the Sand Sculpture Festival (Near Nyhavn).

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Pages/Buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200001110000&line_gid=9011200001100000&line_name=11A&tab_name=Afgange&journey_gid=9025200000047324#navigate

Near Nyhavn you can catch bus 26 towards Indiakaj where the Little Mermaid is located.

You need to catch the B departures from the Mandag til Fredag schedule.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200002610000&stop_gid=9025200000001357

Jensens Bøfhus (steakhouse) located on Axeltorv is located very close to both your hotel and The Grand and is very cheap, especially before 16:00

http://www.jensens.com/axeltorv

Tivoli.dk has a good restaurant guide but i can recommend Cafe Ultima.

Thanks Danish Viking, for the meal recommendation and the bus info. Just to clarify, (your English is so much better than Danish!) if we get off at Norreport St. that will get us close to Torvellhallern and Nyhavn stop will get us to the Sand Sculpture Festival. Right? If I am reading the Koreplan correctly, I see there are 2 stops between Tivoli Hotel and Norreport St and one between it and Nyhavn. Is there a map that shows the routes of both 11A and 26?

Many thanks for your help!

Blonde1981: thanks for the Google Map, it will definately help with our planning!

I've mapped out quite a few things so let me know if there is anything else you are wondering about. We are spending 2.5 days before and 1 day after the cruise in Copenhagen so I've done a bunch of research. :)

Oh and you can drag and move around the "mapped" lines to make more direct routes rather than just using the big roads.

Edited by blonde1981

We are going to do the Food Tour in Torvehallerne, they said it is by the Norreport station. From the cruise ship dock what is the best way to get there?

We believe we should be at the Langelinie pier

You can do one of two things.

First you can take bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads from the Indiakaj bus stop.

Here you get off at Østerport and taky any southbound S-train or train.

Nørreport is the next station on the line.

You can also walk from Langelinie to Østerpirt if you don't have the danish money for the bus ride.

The ticket costs 24 DKK and its no matter if you take the bus from the pier or walk to the station.

Torvehallerne is located at Israels Plads near Frederiksborggade.

But Frederiksborggade is located on both sides of Nørreport station.

If you find the pedestrian street you are on the wrong side.

My internet (and tv connection) has been down the whole day so I can't post a link to a useful map but I'm sure you can find it on google maps by yourself.

I noticed on another thread there is track work taking place this summer. We plan to travel from Nyhaven to Kronborg on Monday, July 1st. Will this track work affect our plans to go out there? I have done a ton of research on train times, but I didn't see any notes about a change. Thanks!

We are arriving at Copenhagen Freeport Terminal by ship on July 22 at 7am and need a taxi to get to the airport for a midmorning flight. Can someone advise whether taxis will be there or if we need to reserve or call ahead? If we need to reserve ahead any suggestions?

I read somewhere that fare would be 400-500 DKK. Is this about right?

I noticed on another thread there is track work taking place this summer. We plan to travel from Nyhaven to Kronborg on Monday, July 1st. Will this track work affect our plans to go out there? I have done a ton of research on train times, but I didn't see any notes about a change. Thanks!

There are 3 trains every hour from Copenhagen Central Station to Helsingör (Where Kronborg Castle is situated) every day. Any track changes will be clearly posted in the station.

(Incidentally, I will take one of those trains myself July 1st, returning from my first Med cruise)

That is probably me giving false information.

I was under the impression that the new road tunnel to the freeport area would affect the trains on the line between Svanemøllen and Hellerup stations.

But that is first in the summer 2014 that the bridge will be restored (they run on temporary bridge atm.)

If they do it like last year then they would close the S-train line to Hillerød (Frederiksborg castle) in June and July and the commuter line to Helsingør (Kronborg Castle) in August and September.

But that is first until next year.

We are arriving at Copenhagen Freeport Terminal by ship on July 22 at 7am and need a taxi to get to the airport for a midmorning flight. Can someone advise whether taxis will be there or if we need to reserve or call ahead? If we need to reserve ahead any suggestions?

Someone on this board tried to email one of the companies but where told that it was impossible to prebook a taxi from the cruise pier.

I'm guessing that they just use a first come first served system.

But normally there are a bunch of taxis at the cruise terminals.

And yes its around 4-500 DKK.

Hi Danish Viking,

You seem to be the number one person to ask for information on Copenhagen, and I'm grateful to you.

We are going to arrive in Copenhagen on the Royal Princess in May of 2014. Do you know what pier the ship will dock at? We will be staying on the ship and taking the next cruise to the Baltics, so it will be a port of call stop for us.

I am planning to do the “Hop on- Hop off” bus and the “Canal tour” for Copenhagen. Does the tour bus pick you up where the ship docks and does it stop back at the pier to board the ship?

Thanking you,

................voltdoc

We will be in your great city in 2 days. Just wanted to thank you for all the wonderful info you have provided to everyone. Hope you got some good info for your own Med cruise. Have a great time! Thanks again.

Hi Danish Viking,

You seem to be the number one person to ask for information on Copenhagen, and I'm grateful to you.

We are going to arrive in Copenhagen on the Royal Princess in May of 2014. Do you know what pier the ship will dock at? We will be staying on the ship and taking the next cruise to the Baltics, so it will be a port of call stop for us.

I am planning to do the “Hop on- Hop off” bus and the “Canal tour” for Copenhagen. Does the tour bus pick you up where the ship docks and does it stop back at the pier to board the ship?

Thanking you,

................voltdoc

I am at work atm. so I can't check the info but on the first page there is a link to the port information.

But I'm guessing either Freeport or the new cruise terminal that opens next year.

I thinking that the ho/ho bus also will serve the cruise terminal but no info has been given out yet.

I am at work atm. so I can't check the info but on the first page there is a link to the port information.

But I'm guessing either Freeport or the new cruise terminal that opens next year.

I thinking that the ho/ho bus also will serve the cruise terminal but no info has been given out yet.

New cruise terminal????

...........voltdoc

There will be taxis and a long line of people waiting for them. Not sure how long it takes to get to the front of the line as we walked to the bus stop.

Hi Danish Viking and many others on this thread,

Thanks so much for all your advice and tips re Copenhagen. We are finishing up our second day here and have managed to see all the sites we had hoped for except Torvellhallern Market. Even though we were at Norreport station a number of times we couldn't seem to find it. Maybe tomorrow before the ship sails.

We really enjoyed Christainborg Slot especially the goblin tapestries depicting the history of the monarchy in Denmark, maybe because I am a weaver? The royal stables were interesting too, especially the gold royal carriage.

After seeing the backside of the Little Mermaid from the canal boat tour, I had to see her from the front! She is sweet but even more impressive is the Gelfion Fountain enroute to her. We had difficulty finding the Round tower in the maze of streets. If only we hadn't left our good street map at home. Arrrgh.

The changing of the guard was OK but lacked a bit of punch.

The royal hatch in the harbour was an interesting site too.

The construction is overwhelming. Would love to come back in about 5 years to see how things look then. Beautiful I'm sure.

Just returning from Tivoli Gardens tonight. Fountains and flowers were lovely. Not a ride person but lots of people were having a ball.

I was worried about staying at Tivoli Hotel but its access to the 11A bus could've be beat and they served a super breakfast.

What a great number of bicycles you have! We are still trying to find a way for cars and bikes to co- exist on the streets of Ontario.! One question. Bicycles - why don't people wear helmets?

Would I come to Copenhagen again? YES! YES, YES! The people are just like you DV ! Helpful and pleasant all round. Thanks again for all your in finding our way around your lovely city. If the cruise is as enjoyable as the past couple of days, what a holiday this will be!

Bailuk