Probably a dumb question, but...

Alamoguy

....this is our first cruise, actually, our first "big" vacation with the kids (ages 11 & 13). Just wondering what the day-to-day attire is on a cruise (we are on the Carnival Imagination, heading for Cozumel leaving Feb. 4). Is it "really casual" (with of course the exception of elegant night in the dining area) when you are out and about on the cruise ship? For instance, cargo shorts and t-shirts, or do people generally dress up a little more (i.e., polos and dress shorts), etc.?

I was browsing some forums, and there was a comment made that basically sounded like they look down upon cargo shorts, etc.? I'm a midwest guy who works in the ag industry, so for me, that is about all I have. Also, are flip-flops the footwear of choice, or should I be upgrading a little?

I know these are pretty dumb sounding questions, but don't want to stick out like a sore thumb if I'm the only hick there....which would probably really upset the kids and their mother! LOL.

Thanks for any feedback.

Casual is pretty casual. I would not have paid attention one way or another about cargo shorts. Some people do take it too far, but it also depends on where you plan to be on the ship. Around the pool is a little different that going through the shops, but honestly you see it all everywhere.

Many people post pictures on here. It may help if you took a look to get the "feel".

....this is our first cruise, actually, our first "big" vacation with the kids (ages 11 & 13). Just wondering what the day-to-day attire is on a cruise (we are on the Carnival Imagination, heading for Cozumel leaving Feb. 4). Is it "really casual" (with of course the exception of elegant night in the dining area) when you are out and about on the cruise ship? For instance, cargo shorts and t-shirts, or do people generally dress up a little more (i.e., polos and dress shorts), etc.?

I was browsing some forums, and there was a comment made that basically sounded like they look down upon cargo shorts, etc.? I'm a midwest guy who works in the ag industry, so for me, that is about all I have. Also, are flip-flops the footwear of choice, or should I be upgrading a little?

I know these are pretty dumb sounding questions, but don't want to stick out like a sore thumb if I'm the only hick there....which would probably really upset the kids and their mother! LOL.

Thanks for any feedback.

There are no dumb questions, when you need to know something.

Daily dress on the ship is very casual. Your cargo shorts and tshirts will be just fine as well as your flip flops.

Some people love to dress to the nines on elegant night, but a lot will not. Since the days of so many airline restrictions a lot of people don't bother to pack that stuff anymore. You will see everything from evening wear to sports coats to shirts/ties to shirts with no ties.

Dress neatly but don't be uncomfortable. Most of us wear what we would wear to church.....

During the day, on a Caribbean cruise, your cargo shorts and t-shirts are fine. Clean would be nice. :D

You'll see most men in port walking around in shorts and jerseys though, of course, some will have on nice dockers and polo jerseys.

Whatever makes you happy. :)

If you want flip flops on the ship during the day, fine. Don't you find it hard to walk too far in them? You might want sandals for walking around in port just for more foot comfort but you'll see plenty of flip flops on both men and women.

Evenings you'll want to dress a little nice probably.

Thanks for any feedback.

You will not stick out at all! You'll be just fine in shorts and a t-shirt. That's what my hubby usually wears, mixing in a Polo shirt here and there, and always dressing up for dinner.

On Carnival they call what used to be 'formal night', is now 'cruise elegant'. You will not see many tuxes. Some men might wear a suit but most men just wear what they wear every night, dockers and a polo shirt.

During the day, any shorts or bathing suit with a t-shirt is what most men wear. Flip flops are fine but sandels are better- more confortable and easier to walk in.

Thanks all..... seems like it would be wise to buy some sandals this weekend! I kind of figured that was about all there was to it, just didn't want any "unexpected" surprises that would have the kids embarrassed and the wife rolling her eyes! LOL.

You'll be fine with shorts, T-shirt and flip flops. It will be warm in the Caribbean so you'll be glad you dressed in comfortable clothing. You may also want to pack comfortable pair of walking shoes depending on what type of shore excursions you plan.

Also, pack something nice to wear to the dining room for dinner and Elegant night. Whatever you wear to church will fit right in.

Smooth sailing. It's a great way to explore the world!

Thanks all..... seems like it would be wise to buy some sandals this weekend! I kind of figured that was about all there was to it, just didn't want any "unexpected" surprises that would have the kids embarrassed and the wife rolling her eyes! LOL.

Make sure to wear them around the house and break them in a bit. Yep, been there, done that. HUGE blisters. Pack a few bandages just in case!!

Have a GREAT time!

Peg

(Iowa raised!)

Unless you would wear regular sandals at home in the summer, I wouldn't spend the money on them. You will be just fine in flip flops during the day, unless you are doing a lot of walking in port, in which case running shoes or sneakers or whatever you wear at home for a similar activity would be fine.

For dinner on casual nights, lightweight slacks or even jeans with a polo or button down short sleeved shirt is fine on Carnival. Most Caribbean cruises are pretty casual except for the dress up night.

Besides checking out the Carnival board threads, I would also go to the Carnival website and read their FAQs and look at any online brochures (sometimes you'll get an idea of dress from that -- but a just a touch more fashionable on the models used).

Just don't wear a dripping wet bathing suit in the lido (buffet dining room) -- cover that up or better yet, change into something dry if you're going to sit down there. For the sit down dinners, go a step up. Sundresses or cute capri outfits for women, tropical shirts/dockers for men.

Archived